Peter Gabriel 45rpm remasters

All music posts here please.
paskinner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Peter Gabriel 45rpm remasters

Unread post by paskinner »

I agree that the recording of the originals, the sound quality, is nothing special. I also agree that the new re-issued 45rpms are fairly priced. However, myself and a couple of friends had another listen today' The remastering is just not very good. To my ears there are three obvious problem areas. The bass is now less powerful and rich, the tonal qualities (such as they are) have been diminished and the overall sound is noticeably 'bleached'.
As DQ suggested, the exception is '1' where the awful compression of the original, that 'puddingy' sound, has been improved somewhat. But in all, for me, a disappointment. The originals are better.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I did a shoot out for I (car) this evening. New 45 v Original v Classic Records 33 rpm v CR Clarity 45 rpm. I am finding after several plays the new version improves in listenability. The bass is drier than original but it does not lose out in impact by much. Compression/congestion is improved but a loss in tonality especially vocals (a common digital problem but should have been avoided with modern masters). Changing to either Classic is a revelation. There is prodigious bass on this recording on most tracks. The extra detail is there with tonality preserved and then some and instruments are more easily identifiable. Vocals are natural with a lovely foot tapping flow to the music. The Classic 33 is a clear improvement over the new 45 rpm but not by a vast margin, The 45 rpm takes all this to another level. The only way to describe it is that it has all the advantages of the 33 (in fact identical mastering) but you feel that you are in the studio. Just more of everything in a good way.

The Clarity vinyl does add some extra background surface noise but it is not intrusive given the superb sound. I also got out Norah Jones' Come Away With Me on 45 Clarity vinyl - wow. It's a pity these caused problems for Classic resulting in the company closing and selling assets to Analogue Productions. No one has yet gone the extra mile to produce single sided 45 rpm since probably due to pressing difficulties and cost.

The Classic shows this is actually a good recording so Real World do deserve criticism for not producing what is on the tapes (due to sub standard mastering skills or possibly the D/A convertors used). I don't recognise the engineers on this and wonder why Miles or Ray Staff weren't employed on this project. However I wouldn't say the new pressing is inferior to the original in this case. Some areas (tonality) worse but better in others. I prefer the new PGI overall to the original pressing (just). Classic 45 rpm leaves it in the dust !
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

paskinner

Interesting; I am going to look round for some of the Classic versions, but I suspect price will be an issue. Such a shame that the current reissue wasn't done very well. I can't imagine it would have cost any more to do it properly. We were listening to the Beatles mono versions (Rubber soul and Revolver) yesterday; that's how to do it.
I suspect that record companies don't really believe that the punters (us) care much. But we do.

Classicrock
Great Britain

paskinner wrote:Interesting; I am going to look round for some of the Classic versions, but I suspect price will be an issue. Such a shame that the current reissue wasn't done very well. I can't imagine it would have cost any more to do it properly. We were listening to the Beatles mono versions (Rubber soul and Revolver) yesterday; that's how to do it.
I suspect that record companies don't really believe that the punters (us) care much. But we do.
It's a decent effort but not up to other digitally sourced vinyl reissues even and not as good as AAA. They promised the best ever cuts of these titles but didn't deliver. Why they didn't cut from the master tapes and use a top UK based engineer such as Ray Staff is beyond my comprehension. Gabriel is usually picky about quality and was involved in the Classic reissues. Unfortunately you are not going to find affordable copies of the Clarity 45 rpm but may be able to get the 33 rpm between £50 and £100 apiece. The Clarity boxes cost £55 each when released. Having said all that they are reasonable value and aren't bad sounding. You may well find them preferable to a UK original especially if not in pristine playing shape.

paskinner

I found a 'Classic' 45rpm set, together with 'So' for $1500...and to that you need to add 25% for vat and duty. So I missed the boat there. I'l stick to my old originals.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

There's a mint sealed 'So' Classic 4 x 45 on Discogs for £300! Plus a sealed '1' for £170 (both including p&p). Still completely silly money for what they are (and I have '3' and 'So' in the 4 x 45 format). Perspective is all: if the new vinyl versions were the only ones you ever hear, you'll be more than happy with them. Personally, I really like the SACD versions released in 2002 (I have the full set).

I think I have enough PG variations now :grin:
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Classicrock
Great Britain

Most will be happy with these but I'm disappointed they aren't closer to the Clarity 45 rpm especially in bass reproduction. I'm only marking them down against the best and prices are stupidly high now. I got these when I knew Classic were going to wind up ops and those box sets were some of the last titles they pressed. In fact I got the last available copy of So 45 rpm from Diverse. After which prices shot up.