Jazz Rock

All music posts here please.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Jazz Rock

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Check out "Holiday Am Marterhorn" from their 1975 album "Andy Nogger"

It still remains one of my all time favourite jazz/prog tracks.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Thenks Steve,

'Andy Nogger' has already been ordered (dirt cheap by Dodax!) and a stack of other discs.

Can't wait .... :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Jazz Rock? It's got to be this one..

Fretless
Netherlands

This from the Burning Shed newsletter
Talk about essential. :dance:

Bruford - Seems Like A Lifetime Ago (boxset pre-order)

Containing the collected works of Bruford on one extraordinary 6cd/2dvd-a box set, Seems Like A Lifetime Ago is a magnificent testament to one of the UK's most inventive and important Progressive Fusion bands.

Featuring 2017 remastered versions of the albums Feels Good To Me (1978), One Of A Kind (1979), The Bruford Tapes (1979), and Gradually Going Tornado (1980), the set additionally includes the previously unreleased Live At The Venue, 1980 and the highly sought after 4th Album Rehearsal Sessions (also from 1980).

Showcasing the prodigious talents of Bill Bruford, Dave Stewart, the late Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Berlin and The 'Unknown' John Clark, the set includes a 16 page colour booklet (with band interviews and an essay written by Sid Smith), a reproduction concert poster, two black and white photo prints of the band, and a signed and numbered certificate of authentication.

Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are also available as DVD-a versions featuring 2017 5.1 mixes by Jakko Jakszyk.

Pre-order for 27th October release.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

I seem to have drifted into an ECM phase - and then especially the work of Bass-maestro Eberhard Weber.

'Who?' you might wonder - but if you've ever had a good listen to Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love' then his elastic, yearning sonorities are one of the trademark sounds on that classic album.

Kate Bush - Mother Stands for Comfort

Weber has played a unique, self-designed 5-string electric contrabass since the 70's and is one of the main figures on the ECM label, known for its sonic adventures and exquisite recordings. Unfortunately he had a stroke in 2007 which left him physically unable to play his beloved bass anymore. Deciding to carry on as a composer/arranger (he could still play keyboards) his interests have moved into more classical stylings but he still remembers his past.

During the years he has played over 1000 concerts as a member of the 'Jan Garbarek Group' and one of his functions was to fill-in between numbers, starting an improvisation in the key of the song just played and then morphing into an intro for the following work. These improvisations were all off-the-cuff and inspired by the mood of the crowd/hall/evening.
Sifting through 150+ hours of these recorded solos, Weber realised that there was a lot of useable material contained within them and began to edit, loop, multitrack and arrange these bits of solo into complete pieces. Garbarek came by to lay down some solos, drums were added and EW sets the mood with synths.

The result is the album 'Resumé' and it is a superb, relaxing listen which transports you on flowing waves of music to places you never knew existed.

Eberhard Weber - Heidenheim

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Shamanic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Shamanic »

Fretless wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 pm Hell's Bell's - I might just have discovered a new favourite group: Kraan.

Jazz-rock lovers just check out this mind-blowingly proficient ensemble doing wonderful electric things.

KRAAN Nam Nam Part Two. BASS SOLO.

Why have I never heard of Hellmut Hattler (bass) before? - the guy is a genius !!!
Kraan live is an excellent album

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Fretless wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 am I seem to have drifted into an ECM phase - and then especially the work of Bass-maestro Eberhard Weber.

'Who?' you might wonder - but if you've ever had a good listen to Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love' then his elastic, yearning sonorities are one of the trademark sounds on that classic album.

Kate Bush - Mother Stands for Comfort

Weber has played a unique, self-designed 5-string electric contrabass since the 70's and is one of the main figures on the ECM label, known for its sonic adventures and exquisite recordings. Unfortunately he had a stroke in 2007 which left him physically unable to play his beloved bass anymore. Deciding to carry on as a composer/arranger (he could still play keyboards) his interests have moved into more classical stylings but he still remembers his past.

During the years he has played over 1000 concerts as a member of the 'Jan Garbarek Group' and one of his functions was to fill-in between numbers, starting an improvisation in the key of the song just played and then morphing into an intro for the following work. These improvisations were all off-the-cuff and inspired by the mood of the crowd/hall/evening.
Sifting through 150+ hours of these recorded solos, Weber realised that there was a lot of useable material contained within them and began to edit, loop, multitrack and arrange these bits of solo into complete pieces. Garbarek came by to lay down some solos, drums were added and EW sets the mood with synths.

The result is the album 'Resumé' and it is a superb, relaxing listen which transports you on flowing waves of music to places you never knew existed.

Eberhard Weber - Heidenheim
Another great ECM artist is Paul Bley. The pianist had his solo debut in 1972 on ECM, did also recordings with Pat Metheney and Charlie Haden and many others. He died in 2016. I have the "Solo in Mondsee" from 2007, which I enjoy listening to very often.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Hi Shammy, as you were the true winner of that Pat-Metheney-round yesterday, would you like to start a new one?

Shamanic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Shamanic »

Hi Hannes, thanks for the generous offer.
I am going to this festival this morning. So will not be online much over the weekend so you will have to carry on without me.

http://www.fruitsdemerrecords.com/16thdream.html
Great music by a lot of bands that maybe even Missy doesn't know

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

That makes me a little bit jealous, especially Nick Turners new space ritual. Last year they did the festival together with http://sunhair-music.de/psychedelicnetwork/ as The Lucid Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus Festival. That in Würzburg is a great thing every year, too. Enjoy it, have a wonderful weekend!