Music of Tangerine Dream

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Music of Tangerine Dream

Unread post by Fretless »

Picture the scene - breakfast in the Froese home; "What should we get little Jerome for his 17th birthday?", 'Oh, we'll give him a drum kit - help him to work off some teenage frustration."

At age 19, Jerome Froese made his first appearance on the Tangerine Dream album 'Lily On The Beach' playing lead guitar on one track 'Radio City'. A year later he was a full-fledged band member for 'Melrose' after which Paul Haslinger left and TD became a father-and-son duo. Which raises the question - Did Edgar pander too much too the musical ambitions of his son? It feels like Jerome wanted to be a Rock Star with BIG guitars and real drums rather than synths and sequencers, and the music is less inspired somehow. But there are a couple of albums where this approach really works rather well like 'Tyranny of Beauty'.

angerine Dream - 1995 Tyranny of beauty

The style has changed to an instrumental Prog-rock with heavy emphasis on guitars and a poppier drive with shorter tunes. This approach also is very-well realised on the concept-album 'Turn of the Tides' with a romantic theme of lost love. Opening with a bit of Mussorgsky's 'Picture at an Exhibition' you can even find flamenco guitars making an appearance here.

Youtube: Turn of the Tides

However it is a pity that these came out under the Tangerine Dream name as older fans deserted in droves, missing the long-form electronic soundscapes that TD had been best known for. Newer fans did come, though, especially in the USA where this more accessible sound was easier to grasp and the touring band featured no less than two tall, blonde Teutonic Goddesses with Linda Spa (sax, flute, keys) and Iris Camaa (percussion, vocals). These two remained as regular live musicians until Edgar's death.

A couple of discs to avoid would be the insipid 'Rockoon' and the Enigma-styled 'Goblin's Club' both of which aimed for the mainstream but didn't really deliver. And Jerome did several dance-remix collections to try to give TD some youth-appeal.
Worth checking out, though, is the high-octane blast of 'Arizona Live 1992'

Tangerine Dream 2004 Arizona Live Full Album

The group were also a hard-working supplier of soundtrack music for, mostly documentary, films and vast quantities of material were recorded and released. There is, later on, a return to a more ambient space-rock sound with 'Mars Polaris' (also released as 'Mars Mission Counter' with the same tracks in a different order !?) This music was performed live and actually sounds better when done on stage on the CD 'Rocking Mars'.

Tangerine Dream 2005 Rocking Mars Full Album

But Jerome's time was coming to a close, Edgar was pushing audibly to bring TD back into a more exploratory ambient area and brought in Thorsten Quaeschning to help with the album 'Jeanne D'Arc' where a different musical direction surfaces, a trip back to previous glories.

Tangerine Dream 2005 Jeanne D'Arc Full Album

Edgar had hoped that TD would push forward as a 3-piece team, but Jerome wasn't happy and decided, after 16 years, to leave the group and pursue a solo career.
And so Edgar, now backed by the sympathetic support of Thorsten Q, continued on into a new phase in the ever-developing musical universe that he had created. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Thanks for the update Fretless. I received a copy of 'Tournado' recorded live in 1997. Only listened the once but really liked it.

Fretless
Netherlands

Tournado is good - in fact pretty well all of the live albums are excellent, having far more sparkle and vigour than the studio material of the 90's and later.

It was released together with a companion live set called 'Valentine Wheels', recorded on the same tour, this album focusses more on versions of older material and is also a fun listen. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

I saw them live at Southend on Mud. The exit signs fell of the wall due to the sound level I was deaf for days afterwards.

It can be done so imagine it.

Fretless
Netherlands

Sadly I have only seen TD live on one occasion: Bradford, St. Georges Hall in March 1986.
Edgar, Chris Franke & Paul Haslinger. Sound was excellent.
Remains in my memory as on e of the best gigs I have ever seen.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

Another couple of intriguing TD CD's have dropped into the letter-box featuring Edgar and his final, 6-piece live band.
Firstly a set that will have a broader appeal to the more Rock-orientated.

Tangerine Dream & Brian May 'Starmus: Sonic Universe'

Youtube - Supernova - Tangerine Dream & Brian May

This concert was recorded at the Starmus festival on Tenerife and has Brian May jamming along to TD backings (sounding rather like David Gilmour's collaboration with The Orb in places).
And there's a light-hearted blast through 'We Will Rock You' as an encore. :character-beavisbutthead:

Next up is the album 'Cruise to Destiny'. TD were invited to play on one of the regular 'Cruise to the Edge' floating rock circuses but had to call it off at the last moment due to illness and mishap. However the band did do a full-scale rehearsal session in the studio and these tapes have been issued on CD.

Tangerine Dream Cruise To Destiny Full Album

The interesting aspect of this album is that it not just Edgar doing everything on his own - which can, at times, sound a little ponderous. Here we have all 6 members of the band working together in a precise and spontaneous way and the results are most enjoyable. A lively and dynamic 'trip' with super recording quality.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

There is a large TD thread going down at ProgEars.

When asked what are good later soundtracks, some bloke recommends The Keep ( which is three boring long tracks where absolutely nothing happens - you gotta be stoned or summart) and Risky Business. Risky Business is a bad recommendation cos half is crap like Bob Seeger & Phil Collins. the TD tracks are mainly edits from "Exit" lp and, I believe "Tangram"???

Fretless
Netherlands

There are 2 tracks from 'Risky Business' on the excellent 'Dream Sequences' compilation. 'The dream is always the same' and 'Love on a real train' both superb.

New tracks - not edits

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 pm There is a large TD thread going down at ProgEars.
Just wondering what they have to do with prog tbh!

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Edgar's son Jerome made far better music as a solo artist I think.

I'm Teedee'd out these days and still regard the Franke years as the best of the band. I can't even get into the current stuff with (favourite solo artiste) Ulrich Schnauss in the band.

Ah well, several dozen CD's in and several dozen I don't have, I still think much of the later releases were filler grade, but maybe I've just lost the taste for it... Live, they just seem to doodle over backing tracks, but again, I'm missing the point I suppose...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...