Going round in circles

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Going round in circles

Unread post by Fretless »

An album that I did not expec t to like, but have been playing quite a lot (especially in the car) is:

Grobschnitt 'Kinder und Narren' (1984)

'Paradox' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NeSYpXaNY

The title translates as 'Children and Fools' and this is a concept album that tells a story about a world where peaceful coexistence, feelings, tact and individual dignity have ceased to exist and the only ones allowed to show emotions are children and fools.
This is an 80's prog record that has the same spirit as Saga 'Generation 13' and Styx 'Kilroy Was Here'. Loads of synths, short songs and socially critical lyrics.

Grobschnitt had discovered the Yamaha DX7 synthesizer and, unfortunately, use a lot of similar settings as the Thompson Twins - which comes across rather oddly to my ears. However this record has a quality that appeals to me; it isn't the Grobschnitt of the 70's (long jams and psychedelic tomfoolery), the band was now led by guitarist Lupo and had dropped most of their anarchic humour in favour of slick professionality.

The fact that it is also all in German is difficult for an international audience and the 80's production - although crystal clear - is dated . Still, it is a work that exudes a certain integrity and I must give 'Kilroy Was Here' another go one of these days.

Styx 'Mr Roboto' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6f_2nPSX8

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Fretless
Netherlands

The year 2021 draws (thankfully) to a close - so it's time for a look back to see what the second year of lockdown has provided in terms of music.

The trouble with lockdowns and webshops is that one has bucketloads of excess recreative hours in which to hunt down bargains and oddities, also to pursue manic-record-collector urges to extreme lengths. And all for the 2nd year in succession. Add to that the factor of the resurrection of my turntable and a fresh burst of vinyl-adoration and we're in for a wild ride through the joys of yesteryear.

2021 opened with a return trip to Rush & Anathema for a stack of remastered CD's, then the subdued delights of The Durutti Column entered the spotlight and I caught up with a whole series of albums that I had previously missed out on.

From the beginning of April a seismic shock went through my world with the rediscovery of the vinyl LP and the revelations that brought. Beginning cautiously with the re-acquisition of obscure post-punk artefacts that I had never found on CD (Dalek i, Pink Military, Wah! Heat), I moved onto the likes of 80's favourites as OMD and Ultravox. Things just snowballed from there and soon I was, via the 2nd-hand market on Discogs, busily recreating my former LP collection. Now, at year's end I can say that this target has been reasonably accomplished and most of the records that shaped me are now back here in the rack.

Some artists have had a stronger influence on me than others and to recover them on vinyl meant forking out for newly-released editions and this was worthwhile for : Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, Kate Bush, Efterklang and King Crimson. The increased emotional impact of vinyl reproduction got me, from the autumn, into contemporary classical composers like Johann Johannsson, Max Richter and Olafur Arnalds; these all plough a furrow of resonant melodic melancholy that combines the old and the new into something both familiar and fresh.

The only major changes in the Hifi were getting the awesomely-analogue-sounding Denafrips Ares II and combining the digital and analogue front ends into a single installation. Now I can happily switch between the Volumio PC streamer, Cambridge CXC CD transport and the 80's classic Logic DM101 TT as the mood takes me, enjoying all three intensely.

The year ends with me playing the entire Nektar back catalogue to death, and shaking my head in disbelief that this band never got the exposure they deserved, intertwined with relaxing moments from the glacial sonic beauty that Olafur Arnalds is slowly building from the Icelandic wilderness. And Samantha Fish blasting out hard-rockin' swamp blues when I'm doing the washing-up.

What will the new year bring ? Heaven knows. A stack of Steve Reich and Philip Glass LP's would be nice, There is a new set of Echo & the Bunnymen reissues on vinyl as well. We'll see.

So much great music - and the time to enjoy it as well!
Who could ask for more?

:music-listening: :music-listen: :music-listening:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
CN211276 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:33 pm) • karatestu (Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:25 pm) • slinger (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:06 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Nice write up Fret. Always interested to hear of your musical journey.

Mine seems to be locked in jazz, funk and soul at the moment.

Five most played albums this year are

Cymande - Cymande
The Blackbyrds - Unfinished business
Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces
Curtis Mayfield - Roots
The Crusaders - Crusaders 1

All very predictable from me I suppose. No idea where I will be going in 2022 but probably more of the same.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Fretless (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:11 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Richter, Arnalds, Reich, Glass... Have you given Arvo Pärt a go? As well as his orchestral/instrumental works some of his choral stuff is glorious. "The Deer's Cry" is a particular favourite of mine, and Harry Christophers & The 16 light it up.

[EDIT]

Tracks 3, 5 & 11 are written by Pärt

These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Fretless (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:09 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Big Arvo Part fan here. Especially the 'Te Deum' on ECM from the Estonian Chamber Choir.

Don't know 'Deer's Cry' and will give it a listen.

:guiness;
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
slinger (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:18 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl