The Fonk

All music posts here please.
karatestu
Great Britain

The Fonk

Unread post by karatestu »

I love funk music. It makes me feel good and gives that urge to dance. It's great to play (drums) as well. I don't have a huge collection but thought i would share some of my favourites with y'all.

First up is some old school funk from 1970 ish. The JB's were James Browns' backing band from about March 1970 which he hired hastily after the original band left because of a pay dispute.

Some awesome music from these mutha's. I especially like Bootsy Collins bass work on this track "Soul Power 74". The band is listed as Maceo and the Macks but it is the JB's in all but name, Maceo Parker being the saxophonist.

[BBvideo=853,480]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V1Pg8JfZs8[/BBvideo]
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: The Fonk

Unread post by Fretless »

I'll admit to not being very Funk-orientated. Never got around to giving it much attention.

Hit me with your Rhythm-stick Stu - could be fun! :grin: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Rick4001
Great Britain

Unread post by Rick4001 »

Liking this a lot. With you being a drummer and myself a bass player I think this sort of music appeals to the rhythmic side of us. It was listening to Average White Band and later Level 42 that got me into slap bass, I'm no Mark King but it's very satisfying getting that groove going.
My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/modified Musical Fidelity X DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Nakamichi CA5E preamp, Passive RVC, Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp ,Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands, NVA LS5, Cambridge NP30 network player, Mogami with Neutrik RCA, Sennheiser HD650, 600, Koss Pro4 AA.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

karatestu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am I love funk music. It makes me feel good and gives that urge to dance. It's great to play (drums) as well. I don't have a huge collection but thought i would share some of my favourites with y'all.

First up is some old school funk from 1970 ish. The JB's were James Browns' backing band from about March 1970 which he hired hastily after the original band left because of a pay dispute.

Some awesome music from these mutha's. I especially like Bootsy Collins bass work on this track "Soul Power 74". The band is listed as Maceo and the Macks but it is the JB's in all but name, Maceo Parker being the saxophonist.
I'm with you on this!
"Soul Power 74" was released on James Brown's "People Records" (1971-76). I absolutely love that label. It has a fantastic "house sound".
As you suggest, despite the label releasing the work of many different artists, often it's essentially the same core JBs band. Conveniently, there are 3 compilation albums of some of the best People Records releases. "James Brown's Funky People" volumes 1, 2 and 3. All superb and available second hand (vinyl and CD).

If you're interested in discovering some other great funk artists a couple of compilations I would recommend are "Got to Get Your Own. Some Rare Grooves" and "Quantic Presents The World's Rarest Funk 45s".

Keep it Funky!
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

karatestu
Great Britain

Rick4001 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm Liking this a lot. With you being a drummer and myself a bass player I think this sort of music appeals to the rhythmic side of us. It was listening to Average White Band and later Level 42 that got me into slap bass, I'm no Mark King but it's very satisfying getting that groove going.
Funk is definitely rhythm led rather than melody. I always feel a bit spell bound when listening to it with all those rhythms from the various instruments locking in to one groove.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Docfoster wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm
karatestu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am I love funk music. It makes me feel good and gives that urge to dance. It's great to play (drums) as well. I don't have a huge collection but thought i would share some of my favourites with y'all.

I'm with you on this!
"Soul Power 74" was released on James Brown's "People Records" (1971-76). I absolutely love that label. It has a fantastic "house sound".
As you suggest, despite the label releasing the work of many different artists, often it's essentially the same core JBs band. Conveniently, there are 3 compilation albums of some of the best People Records releases. "James Brown's Funky People" volumes 1, 2 and 3. All superb and available second hand (vinyl and CD).

If you're interested in discovering some other great funk artists a couple of compilations I would recommend are "Got to Get Your Own. Some Rare Grooves" and "Quantic Presents The World's Rarest Funk 45s".

Keep it Funky!
I' m glad to have found other fans :dance: I have got some simply vinyl reissues Funky good times vol 1 +2, Funky people vol 1+2 and a quite obscure James Brown Funk Lord double album. Oh and some Fred Wesley and other bands which are literally the JB's under a different name.

More choices when i get a moment. Taking my son to drum lesson soon (i get to sit in and i have learnt to read just from his lessons :dance: ).
DIY FREE ZONE

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Two for the price of one! Nice.
As a bonus lesson try “Funky Drummer”...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AoQ4AtsFWVM
I’m always impressed by how tightly the band respond to Brown’s instructions to change through the various sections.
And I love Brown’s advice to the drummer before he starts his drum solo “You don’t need to do no soloing brother. Just keep what you’ve got!”
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Funk you! Little feet: rock and roll doctor.
Crusaders: street life.
Anything earth wind and fire.
:guiness;

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

A couple of my fave 70s raves from the grave!
[BBvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0N22Zo-4as[/BBvideo]
Ta da da daaaaaa da
Ta da da daaaaa BOOM!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYMHG7pDiQ[/BBvideo]
That thang, that thang, girl I need it,
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Hit it baby!
[BBvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt4Kw3s_t_Y[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQaS9kJc-O4[/BBvideo]
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)