Black Sabbath

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Black Sabbath

Unread post by slinger »

I was never a huge fan and sort of lost interest after the first three or four albums. I'm probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I thought Ozzy's voice was a bit too weak for a lot of their material I did like his harmonica playing though.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I would disagree about Ozzy's voice being weak for some of the material. I think it was well suited to the doom laden material on the earlier albums. Dio was not comfortable with a lot of the Ozzy materal although technicaclly he is a far better vocalist. There will always be divided opinion as to who was the best Sabbath singer.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

I picked up the Ten Year War boxed set last year having always liked them and Ozzy but never owning anything, apart from the We Sold Our Souls etc. and Ozzy's Live and Loud CD.

I played each in order and the quality and strength of material is immense. Never saw them but the closest was seeing Ozzy in 95(?) with Geezer in the band at Sheffield City Hall. We weren't meant to be going but a friend wasn't allowed into the Leadmill to see another band we had tickets for so we sold those and walked up to City Hall. Bought some great floor tickets outside and got in just as Fear Factory were opening. Great show.
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

I love most versions of Sabbath, I won't get into the Ozzy/Ronnie debate, they are both very different but excellent bands. I feel that Sabotage was the high water mark in terms of the Ozzy band, the production and playing are, to me just over the top. The next two albums would probably rate as the best among other bands repertoires, but compared with the previous 6 they don't quite cut it for me.
My favorite is Ozzy lp is Masters of Reality.
For the Dio lp's Heaven & Hell & Mob Rules are both very strong though the other two are also very good.
I loved Rainbow with Dio, and most of Dio's solo stuff. I've only recently started exploring Ozzy's stuff. The Randy Rhoads stuff is outstanding, the live Tribute album has to be in my top ten live heavy LP's.
I quite like Born Again, it's worth getting the deluxe version for the live stuff alone, Iommi doing Smoke and Gillan doing Paranoid.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Sabotage is also the Ozzy high point for me with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath close. The final two 70s ones with Ozzy are a big let down for me. Dio really rejuvinated the band. Every album he is on from Rainbow Rising until Last in line are classics IMO. Some good stuff followed.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc