3 before bedtime

All music posts here please.
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: 3 before bedtime

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Well I suppose I may just be able to find Three Kenny Rogers’ songs before bed tonight.

1 – Just dropped in – Kenny Rogers and the 1st edition. A nice drop of Psychedelia Kenny. The only one of his I do like, used to good effect in the Cohen Bros. film 'The Big Lebowski’

2 – The Gambler – Cowboy Gambin’ Kenny. Hold ‘em, fold ‘em walk away or run?

3 – Ruby – Version by the Killers. Preferred to Kenny’s

But Nah, Kenny just don’t do it for me enough.

So tonight’s real 3 before bedtime.

I like film scores, but prefer most in accompaniment with the film. Many though are great individual songs in their own right and some of those sound better or maybe feel better along with their intended opening scenes.

3 Opening scenes and songs.

1 – On days like these – From The Italian Job, sung by Matt Munro.
Quincy Jones wrote and George Martin was involved in the production. Simply one of the best opening scenes and songs to a movie. It’s almost not connected to the pace of the film, until the tunnel crash! So cool, such style. St Bernard pass, that cigarette, those sunglasses, and what a car. A Lamborghini of some type? Another great voice and a perfect delivery. Camp Freddie Anyone?

2 – Everybody’s talkin’ – Sung by Nilsson - Written by Fred Neil (his version I prefer).
John Voight struts and ponces around on his way to the bus station before leaving on a Greyhound. A pair of Cowboy boots, a cigarette again and a great suitcase. A song full of hope and sadness.

3 – The sound of silence – Sung by Simon and Garfukel,
Dustin Hoffman’s youthful, bored face (he still looks younger than me now) followed by his suitcase.
I always think the more simple and longer the opening scene, the better the film – just a theory.
It also closes the film, where it fits better, with more of an impact. You can hear the silence. (’'Shit! What do we do now?’’)

Nighty night.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

100th post at last

3 before bedtime tonight/last night, were songs with great introductions, with the remainder of the song not letting the great intro. down.

Personality crisis – New York Dolls – Although from 1973 it is a perfect Punky Poptone. Screeching in with a few No, no, no, nos. Yes, yes, yes.
Great hair and makeup.

Start me up – The rolling Stones. A simple Keith Richard, blistering opening, 5 second, 5 chord riff. The best thing they did in the 80’s

Another girl, another planet – The Only Ones. Long intro this time. Peter Perett's drugged up vocals sound lost in spaced out world. Excellent stuff.

Nighty night or good morning?
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Only Ones - That's a classic all right. :guiness;

I had this compilation album in my teens called 'That Summer',
Fluorescent yellow vinyl, sounded awful but the music was stunning:

Ian Dury and The Blockheads - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll
Mink DeVille - Spanish Stroll
Elvis Costello - (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
The Boomtown Rats - She's So Modern
Zones - New Life
The Only Ones - Another Girl, Anther Planet
Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World
The Patti Smith Group - Because the Night
The Boomtown Rats - Kicks
The Ramones - Rockaway Beach
The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
Eddie & The Hot Rods - Do Anything You Wanna Do
Ian Dury and The Blockheads - What a Waste
Nick Lowe - I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass
Elvis Costello - Watching the Detectives
Richard Hell and The Voidoids - Blank Generation

What more could a young lad ask for ? :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Excellent tunes, everyone of them. I can see It will be 16 before bedtime tonight.

Kevin.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight from Grant Lee Buffalo.

Grant Lee Buffalo were instrumental for me in creating a major part of the 90’s vibe. Their songs and lyrics painted colourful esoteric scenes and stories. They have been played regularly over the past 3 decades and I never seem to tire of their timeless sound. Hearing their music, still performs magic and transports me back to the 90’s. (Good or bad?)

Their first 3 albums were the better than the 4th , which was lacking something but never really managed to put my finger on it. Other than the 1st three were produced by Paul Kimble, the 4th not.

1 – Mockingbirds – From Mighty Joe Moon. An album without a bad song, chose this one because I like the lines -
‘’Woke from a dream, Where I was in a terrible realm, All my sails were ablaze, I was chained to the helm.’’

2 – Arousing Thunder – From Copperopolis –This song just washes over me. Blissful.

3 - Don’t look down – Ladies Love Oracle. Grant Lee Phillips 1st solo album. A return to songwritting form after a disappointing 'Jubilee' (4th Buffalo album) very short songs on a very short Album. I like them all but this one just stands out. He seemed to run out of steam for the remainder of his solo career, but I still follow him. Once hooked.

Nighty night.

PS - I look back at some of my posts and think Spelling? Grammar!- cringe
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime

Songs from the ‘’Deep Blue’’

Carrie – Joni Mitchell - From ‘’Blue’’
I don’t know many Joni Mitchell albums very well, although I do have a few but rarely played. However, Blue is an exceptional album and I know it well. Lyrics and the feel of the music fit all manner moods, times and seasons. Carrie being the lighter up-tempo song, with a slight tinge of ‘blueness’

I’ve been loving you too long – Otis Redding – From ‘’Otis Blue’’
Otis Redding singing, Steve Cropper’s guitar and the remainder of the Mar-Keys, Soul doesn’t get much better than this. Slow, simple, and a powerful lament accompanied with the horns. Soul at its best!

Liar’s Bar – Beautiful south – From – ‘’Blue is the colour’’
Slightly more modern, but most definitely Blue. Paul Heaton does a ‘Tom Waits’ with his voice, and subject. Slightly auto-biographical boozing? I like the idea, his vocals being totally opposite of the usual.

Nighty night.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Three before bedtime tonight, inspired by the ‘’pink moon’’. Got a good view around 8.30 before it was obscured by clouds. The first one is too obvious but the only song I know of about a pink moon.

1 – Pink Moon – Nick Drake. I only discovered Nick Drake around 10-12 years ago. Pink Moon being the last of the 3 albums I bought. He didn’t write any real duffers did he?. Pink, pink, pink, pink, pink, pink, Pink Moooon. I may have missed a ‘pink’ out.

2 – Grapefruit Moon – Tom Waits. One from his first album -Closing time, an album I love very much. If you ever wondered whether the moon had a soul? then this is your answer. ‘ Grapefruit moon, one star shinning’. Both Tom Waits and Nick Drake say the title of their song with a similar emphasis.

3 – Moon on Moon – Bat for Lashes from two suns.
It was going to be ‘’The killing moon’’ by the Bunnymen, but thought I would save it for another listen. I still play Bat’s ‘’two suns’’ album, I think It has stood the test of time for me, but I have never gotten on with anything else. Her voice and piano are haunting on this ‘Lunar’ offering.

Nighty night La Lune.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight.

Working the Swing Shift from home, listening to the Radio, internet etc. With so much time to kill/work, I need 3 songs to last.

1 – Murder most foul – Bob Dylan - A new song.

I first heard this Thursday night at the start of the Gideon Coe show on R6. I thought it was stunning! if you can call a song stunning? With immediate impact, lyrics guided nicely by Piano and Violin. Although I’m not sure what it is all about, besides the assassination of JFK, but during the 16 minutes there are various references to music, artists and songs amongst other events.
There then followed a fantastic ‘murder most foul’ inspired Gideon Coe show, playing some of those referenced. Most definitely worth another listen tonight. A great night in on the Radio.

2 - I trawl the megahertz – Prefab Sprout /Paddy McAloon.

Buckets of sadness in this 22minute, dreamlike spoken word. Scary in parts or is it a nightmare? Whichever, I keep coming back to it to hear more. Lush Narration and orchestration. Perhaps a three sided LP is not the best way to listen to this, a CD may flow better. For some reason, Bob’s ‘Murder’ and Paddy’s ‘Megahertz’ are, to my mind, very similar in many musical ways.

3 – Higgs Boson blues – Nick Cave & the bad Seeds – From Push the sky away.

‘’It’s hot, it’s hot, that’s why they call it the hot spot’’. I find it hard to listen, to Nick Cave unless I am sitting down. I have tried to have him on as background, but no good, it is music to sit and be immersed. This song also makes references, to the likes of Robert Johnson, Hanna Montana & Miley Cyrus. But why? Maybe only Higgs Boson knows.

Is anybody else missing the inside of a pub?

Nighty night.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post:
savvypaul (Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 pm)
Kevin.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I know what you mean about Mr. Cave. I have about 10 Bad Seeds albums and 2 or 3 Birthday Party. They are all superb, but I don't know if I have the energy for any more.

Yep. Missing the pub. All of 'em...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

ArloFlynn
Ireland

I have tried Grinderman a few times, but havn't quite got there yet, I will not give up and keep trying until they click.
Kevin.