Guilty pleasures

All music posts here please.
BillyBones
Great Britain

Re: Guilty pleasures

Unread post by BillyBones »

ArloFlynn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 am Talking of Football - and not being a massive fan of it, (Stoke City supporter) - I have decided, after watching the past few weeks worth of ''Match Of Their Day'' TV program, that the game was far more interesting and exciting in the 90's and up to around 2002. Then something happened? And the past 15 or so years have been dull as dishwater, Faceless, characterless and dreary football. My opinion anyway. Probably to much cash to spend and too much misunderstood theory; that the more you pay, the better they will play. Or maybe I don't like Football anymore.
I know what you mean. I'm sick to death of "playing it out from the back" these days, it just slows the game down and is boring. 20 meaningless passes and the balls not gone over the half way line yet. Watching those old games makes me hanker after the good old fashioned hoof upfield :grin:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

BillyBones wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 am
ArloFlynn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 am Talking of Football - and not being a massive fan of it, (Stoke City supporter) - I have decided, after watching the past few weeks worth of ''Match Of Their Day'' TV program, that the game was far more interesting and exciting in the 90's and up to around 2002. Then something happened? And the past 15 or so years have been dull as dishwater, Faceless, characterless and dreary football. My opinion anyway. Probably to much cash to spend and too much misunderstood theory; that the more you pay, the better they will play. Or maybe I don't like Football anymore.
I know what you mean. I'm sick to death of "playing it out from the back" these days, it just slows the game down and is boring. 20 meaningless passes and the balls not gone over the half way line yet. Watching those old games makes me hanker after the good old fashioned hoof upfield :grin:
It has a lot to do with the far better quality of the pitches today.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

CN211276 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 am
BillyBones wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 am
It has a lot to do with the far better quality of the pitches today.
That's very true, but I still feel these days there's too much passing for passings sake. Call me old fashioned.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Righto, my guilt need not have been for ‘Ingenue’ and now lifted, I wonder if it will sound the same?

Onto another guilty Pleasure. A TV sitcom, a lighthearted look at rekindled romance in later life.
‘As Time Goes By’ And stars one of my 2 favourite English sitcom actors – Geoffrey Palmer. (The other being the brilliant Arthur Low).

Geoffrey Palmer is a complete package when it comes to sitcom acting, deadpan, perfect timing. and with the ability to act as if he is not acting and running totally ad-lib. That’s the best type of acting, when it doesn’t even look like you are trying. And he achieved it constantly throughout the 12 years or however long it ran.
I liked the way he would deliver a line, or react in a scene completely at odds with how you were expecting it.

I saw various episodes when it was first aired, but never really watched it completely, until a couple of years ago. Recorded, it took most of the year to plough through. But in that fashion as the weeks progressed, I was attracted more to it and the two main characters, simplicity was its key and only the best of Actors can make simple look entertaining.
He apparently also said – ‘’Vorsprung durch Technik'' I know it is very Middleclass and safe, but it warms the cockles,
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post:
antonio66 (Tue May 12, 2020 5:51 am)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.