Music.

All music posts here please.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Music.

Unread post by savvypaul »

Certain brands of hi-fi have long attracted strong opinions.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

I see that, NVA could be included I think? Isn't the whole point to get past the playground stuff , and maybe just be subjective.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Well, apologies for any hornets nest i have disturbed It was only a joke after alll. For gods sake I have a LP12 Lingo1, several Naim amplifiers (all currently in bits), a Naim CD3.5 (which I love by the way). So I do get the whole flat earth thing, how more flat earth can you get than Linn and Naim. It would seem I am taking the piss out of myself.

I discovered nva and the flat earth thing became what it always was, an illusion, a leading edge coloured sound which I no longer cared for. I can't say that nva is not coloured cos ASR has never reviewed them :grin:

So please accept my apologies for any offence caused (which was not my intent). Historically there is no love here for anything flat earth (especially if they have pope in their name) and my post was not meant to be taken seriously.

It's only hifi after all
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 pm) • slinger (Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:53 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

NVA has provoked strong opinions, yes.

The point of the forum is discussion. Members are free to discuss whatever they want (as long as it's legal). What is juvenile to your mind may be quite the opposite to others.

If you want to understand how strong opinions about Linn (to use the example from earlier in the thread) have come about, then there is plenty of reading in the forum archive.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

The system below gives me more musical pleasure than anything I’ve had in 45 years of messing around with
hi-fi:
4050D737-6481-470A-9578-7583F2E7DC11.jpeg
4050D737-6481-470A-9578-7583F2E7DC11.jpeg (115.44 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
The self-designed and built amp and single driver speakers, plus BTE Lenco, with ancient SME arm and even more ancient Shure M55E cartridge, is the end of my audio journey. Apart from the obvious stuff like replacing valves and styli, that’s it for the analogue side.
The AppleTV 4 with Apple Music subscription and the Tangent CD player, plus old Beresford TC7510 DAC, is all I need on the digital side.
As we can see from the pic: the speakers are adorned with ornaments, the TV sits between, as does the cheap ass IKEA equipment unit, and I don’t even sit in the middle (the pic is taken from my usual listening position.) The casual audiophile, stumbling on this picture, would laugh out loud.

It’s taken the best part of 15 years of building my own gear to get to this lovely little system. I’ve hit a point now where nothing grates and the music flows nicely. I’d describe the system as perfectly adequate for my needs and those of the missus and anyhow, as someone living on a modest pension, I can’t justify spending any more money on hi-fi.

When you come to terms with the above, you then appreciate what you’ve got, what you’ve built and simply enjoy the music.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post (total 5):
karatestu (Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 am) • Fretless (Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:45 pm) • slinger (Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:52 pm) • CN211276 (Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:31 pm) • Firebug1 (Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:44 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

"As we can see from the pic: the speakers are adorned with ornaments, the TV sits between, as does the cheap ass IKEA equipment unit, and I don’t even sit in the middle (the pic is taken from my usual listening position.) The casual audiophile, stumbling on this picture, would laugh out loud."

I don't think there is anything to laugh at there Steve. Your system impresses the pants off me :dance: You must be a happy chappy having got to the destination. I wish I could put ornaments on the top of my speakers but it can't happen (for obvious reasons).
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:52 am
I don't think there is anything to laugh at there Steve. Your system impresses the pants off me :dance: You must be a happy chappy having got to the destination. I wish I could put ornaments on the top of my speakers but it can't happen (for obvious reasons).
Cheers Stu. With the casual audiophile reference, I was really referring to the fact that the system flies so much in the face of what an audiophile setup is supposed to be about, that the response from one of the popely types, would be, ‘Who do you think you’re trying to kid, you deluded old git?...Hi-Fi my arse!’....Feck ‘em I say! :lol: :lol:

The NVA stuff I have is destined for my study, once I’ve got it painted out and some repairs done to the wall plaster.
I’ve recently returned to writing, after a 20 year gap, and will be fitting the study out with two second hand desks, courtesy of our Ant, to make a proper writing room.
I’ve got one short story finished, and am currently at the drafting stage of another.

karatestu
Great Britain

Written any stories about audiophiles, OCD and beards ?
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:59 pm Written any stories about audiophiles, OCD and beards ?
Not yet, but there’s time. :lol: