My Mk1 NVA amps

All things NVA
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your last listen

Unread post by Andrew »

Well now, this is my last listen, but it's not an album:

Arrived today thanks, Doc. It was lovingly packed and I felt like a kid at Christmas unwrapping it. Sounding very natural already; the kind of sound you just don't want to turn off. Just in time for the weekend too. At least I don't have to worry if it rains lol.

Thanks once again. Such a bloody bargain. I'll go back to the music now, but can't leave without a pic for Jammy. I promise to tidy it later. Honestly!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Andrew nice Kit - But that second pic is just wrong......please tell me the cable aint actualy hooked up :o
Tripping hazard and Sooooooo Ugly.....I would gather it in a bit and lay the rug on top..... :naughty:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

It's just for a few hours. I'll tidy it when I turn the system off. I was only going to listen for a few minutes but it just keeps me sat here listening. I'm going to run it under the floor, hopefully.

As for trip hazards, you should see the rest of the room. Bloody bomb site with ams, speakers, valves and packaging everywhere. Gotta get up and tidy.......after a few more albums :D

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Give us yer thought on yer new NVA kit.............On the NVA thread.............Cheers Andrew :dance:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Ive only just saw this, Jammy. I just answered the Doc on the AoS thread and shared my first impressions there. I'll have a full weekend of listening and post a fuller report before I go abroad again on Wed. I can sum it up n two words already though: Bloody good! :D :D :D

Andrew

My Mk1 NVA amps

Unread post by Andrew »

Funnily enough ( and I cringe to admit it) but I was initially drawn to NVA as a 21 year old, by the utilitarian casework, big volume control and that logo. Hidden talents there, Doc! Now I will probably never live that down but it remains a fact :D

This is my first bi-amped system and its certainly a league apart from anything else I've had. I've heard active systems a few times and they have all sounded worse than their passive counterparts (but paid the dealer handsomely). My friend has dabbled a couple of times too with truly awful results. His active Kaber system actually wins the prize as the worst system I've ever heard. I'm not being horrible there: He agreed and got shot very quickly.

Does anyone remember those 80s magazine ads (maybe Billy Vee or perhaps Doug Brady) where the six escalating flat earth systems were laid out on a single page, culminating in a Naim six pack with Isobariks? Very powerful marketing which led me to desire an active system as the holy grail. Now if I'd known back then that all I needed was another NVA power amp to add to the one I already had, I might've been a rich man by now. I guess wisdom always comes at a price :D

[Moderator: moved from Elsewhere on the Web/AOS]

Andrew

My Mk1 NVA amps

Unread post by Andrew »

I've posted this thread to try and tidy up my mess on the "your last listen" thread. It was lazy of me to post there. Just wanted more time with my music :D

Aaanyway. I've probably said enough already, but the thread is here for anyone who wants to see the pics and add any comments. I'll paste some of the narrative from my AoS post below to give an idea of my impressions.

What I'm hearing is remarkable. I'm not exactly at the top of the upgrade ladder with these NVA amps, but they are beating everything else on sound. Heck, I'm only using their cheapie speaker cable, but it sounds......well it sounds like the amps, like nothing at all. That's the thing. I've heard so many bits of kit others have described as "not getting in the way of the music" but the scale to which these just disappear is leaving me lost for words.
I've heard (and owned) many overtly "detailed" systems over the years but now I realise they weren't actually detailed at all. They all gave a false impression of detail, whilst having a stronger electronic signature than other bits. You're usually aware of using an electronic device to reproduce music. As mad as it sounds I'd swear these ran off something else, or actually weren't running off anything or weren't there at all, because a huge part of what I'd come to accept as an unavoidable part of listening to reproduced music has been removed.
I've got two valve amps here, a Puresound and an Apollon. I'm puzzled because I've compared the Puresound and my former Audio Innovations amps to the Krell KSA50 and KSA 80 and their sense of ease and space can't be matched by the big solid state amps. Conversely, they can't match the Krell scale. Well these tiny amps seem to outdo the valve amps at what they do best and sound far more like real music than the Krell ever managed.
I'm no stranger to NVA amps. I've owned the odd one (always 2nd hand) over the years going back to the 80s. They were always good amps but I've chopped and changed lots. Its actually unusual if I haven't owned something lol. These recent ones are the first acrylic cased amps I've used and this is the first time I've used NVA speaker cable. The results have really surprised me. It's early days, but you know pretty quickly when you've made a real advance and this time I have. I never expected it to come from removing rather than adding something to the sound but that's what I'm hearing. The smallest, least expensive amps, linked up by the cheapest cable I've ran in ages turn out to be the best. Who would've thought that possible? Not me but there you go. Just telling it like it is.

Andrew

Re: My Mk1 NVA amps

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Terry. I'm so glad you've managed to keep the pic of the messy wires for posterity. Still, at least the thread is tidy now :D

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Good write up, Andrew. Looks like you will be keeping these black boxes!! Which NVA interconnect are you using?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm just using Soundcords and LS2. I've had Soundpipes before and they were probably even better. SoundCord beats all others though.