I've been turned to the dark side :lol:

All things NVA
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: I've been turned to the dark side :lol:

Unread post by jimbob »

James[/quote]
James, Shane is a Hi-Fi fidget, he loves trying new things and get itchy (and scratchy :mrgreen: ) when he hasn't had something new to try for a couple of weeks. He is a different and far less ego driven version of jandl100 (Jerry). He has had loads of amps and has others at the moment I am sure.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think it can be very easy to become a hi-fi fidget. I'm always browsing speakers on ebay as that is where I would like to experiment more and scratch my itches. Amp wise I am happy to just upgrade through your range as funds allow!
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

jimbob wrote: Where did your hi-fi journey begin then DSJR?

James
Don't ask, it will be about a 10 page history of the British hi-fi industry. Just take it the man has experience of at least 10 times that of people here (apart from me :mrgreen: ) his experience is both as supplier, tech, retailer, and user.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Great summary - that you - and we could share some 'interesting' experiences I'm sure (Shure? - sorry - cough!)...

I'm way out of date now and I don't think I could ever return to audio retail as my audio life-interest (and confidence frankly) is rather different now and people would be bored stiff about me going on about long obsolete Garrard auto decks :twisted: Just let me say that my own gear-journey started at age nine with a little Dansette 'Popular' record player after nine previous years listening to Dad's Decca Auto-Decallian 88 with Collaro Conquest 'changer :geek:

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

My Hi-Fi fidgeting will stop soon as I'm starting to get sick and tired of it. Soon I will most likely sell on my surplus amps and just keep the NVA and my Exposure X. I'm getting the feeling the Exposure X will fetch silly money in the near future !!!

jimbob- I was using Exposure X with my original Neat Petite speakers. CD Player was an original Rega Planet.

I do love keeping a few CD Players though, they also come in handy as back up replacements.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We all have to have a hobby Shane, what will your new one be. Food seem to be a big interest of yours.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Mine was my Dad's redundant Trix PA amp and speaker from his Dance Band in the 1950's and the Collaro turntable from an old radiogram.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:We all have to have a hobby Shane, what will your new one be. Food seem to be a big interest of yours.
You must admit Doc it can become an expensive hobby... :) It is worth it though. I would like to be in a position where I could do more myself when it comes to modding etc. Would add another dimension to the hobby for me.

Shane food aint a bad hobby either! I like my food! Yum! The Exposure stuff looks nice. How would you describe the sound?

James
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
jimbob wrote: Where did your hi-fi journey begin then DSJR?

James
Don't ask, it will be about a 10 page history of the British hi-fi industry. Just take it the man has experience of at least 10 times that of people here (apart from me :mrgreen: ) his experience is both as supplier, tech, retailer, and user.
8-) Must be good to do or have done your hobby for a living!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Stick to the hobby, once you make it trade you see all the downsides, the crooks, the charlatans. I am afraid this really has been a very sick and disgusting industry in the way it has behaved to its customers, though it is getting better, both Dave and myself have mental and emotional scars from dealing with it.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Yes, yes & yes, Shane loves his food too... :mrgreen:

@ jimbob- My Exposure X is an '''old school Exposure'''. Was made around the time when John Farlowe ran Exposure.

How can I describe the X.....It's like a Naim Nait 5i-2, but with less ouch.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.