NVA AP10P

All things NVA
southall-1998
Wales

Re: NVA AP10P

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I already know how the AP10P sounds. So I'm not nervous! :)

S;
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

"It was never Richard Dunn's intention to set me on a chase to find the cheapest tolerable mock-audiophile system one could muster."

The absolute self satisfied ARROGANCE of the man!!!! This kind of poncing does as much to me as Marco does for you Doc!

I've just got myself in doo-doos on the Harbeth HUG, as a chap there with Tron plus other expensive exotica was looking forward to his new speakers (guess how good they'll sound with this little lot!) - as if cheap stuff would actually sound worse to any great degree. I told him I thought a little Denon micro system would probably be as good - it didn't go down well with him - oops! :cry:

Mock audiophile indeed - I can now say with confidence that an AP10, power apart, would trounce many a blinged up cr@p special costing thousands, but I suppose it couldn't be called 'audiophile' because it lacks a certain 'character' and 'gravitas?'
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I put up with that as he got the concept of the amp as he could have just dismissed it. There isn't another amp (especially back then) that does what this amp does. It was designed for a bedroom, office or student system.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

The Rogers Cadet (back in the 60's) and also the first issue Nait were a similar kind of product I think, but the latter is now up to silly money above its station and I believe it now even has a Zobel network on the output :shock: :o
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No they weren't. NO ONE has produced a single input amplifiers designed for both headphones and speakers. EXACTLY what a student or a bedroom system wants.

southall-1998
Wales

Pardon me for the ignorance. What does this 'gravitas' word mean for amps? I've seen people using that word before while discussing amps.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I take it as 'placed above it's station.'

Doc, I understand, but my take was about a simple little amp, with a distillation of the ideas from the larger models in a basic but no less good package.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It wasn't that motivation it was purely as described, a deliberate attempt to create a student / bedroom system. The motivation came from visiting a customer who had a full Naim - Isobarik system downstairs and an upstairs system of NVA mk1 A40s P50 and a pair of Quad 57 in his bedroom. The bedroom system was far better than the main system which in the end he had to admit. I was taken on the idea of a bedroom system as a marketing idea for young people like Shane, or students in shared houses / digs, or for amorous couples. The thoughts led to the AP10.

southall-1998
Wales

So that's how the AP10P was born. Very interesting, Doc.

Doc, did that AP10P/Rega Brio-R bake off ever happen??

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It was AP20 - Ask DSJR.