NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

All reviews of NVA here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

NVA TSS (The Second Statement) by Paul Messenger

NVA DIDN’T REALLY WANT A REVIEW, BUT READERS LOOKING FOR A SERIOUS BARGAIN COULD WELL FIND IT HERE

Anybody looking for a serious bargain in power amplification should check out the NVA websites. Unlike most of today’s industry, the company doesn’t believe in the current trend towards stupidly high prices, and also considers that dealers are not all that useful either. The result is a collection of hi-fi equipment that is sold direct to customers from websites at prices that seem almost risibly low.

Providing some background here, NVA originally stood for Nene Valley Audio, which is where Richard Dunn founded the operation back in 1982 (having sold his previous PA amplifier brand Tresham Audio). He’s had his ups, downs, and moves, and the base of operations is currently in South East London, but the decision to re-launch the company a decade or so ago came about because the internet enabled a low cost operation that combined servicing and sales.

That said, you won’t find The Second Statement (TSS) model on his website, as it’s only available as a bespoke item to existing customers. It’s an interesting design that resembles the NAP 500, it was temporarily replacing, more than any other I can think of, inasmuch as a two-box layout separates the power supply from the amplification.

However, NVA’s casework is deliberately made of acrylic, and it uses four XLRs rather than a pair of Burndys to connect a truly massive supply to the amplification unit. I snapped mine up as a secondhand bargain, but new examples cost £3,500, which might not be exactly cheap, but it’s not outrageously costly either, especially compared to the price of a Naim NAP 500 (which was away being DR upgraded at the time).

One crucial observation was that the change wasn’t nearly as obvious as the price differential might suggest. Furthermore, NVA’s TSS proved entirely capable of distinguishing between the various phono stages and step-up devices reviewed on pp46-48, which is proof positive of its fine capabilities.

A Best Buy rating is therefore clearly mandatory.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

LS5 to LS6 upgrade
Fretless » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 am

Luckily I was paying attention when this particular piece of advice was given about upgrading in the NVA range: “going from LS5 to LS6 offers the best bang for the buck”. In addition, recent political turmoils meant that I got an instant exchange-rate discount on UK purchases – so I thought it was time to move on up to these higher-grade speaker cables.

Strangely enough, the first listen with LS6 left me with the feeling that something had been removed from my system rather than added to it (apart from the suspicion that someone had removed the whole system and replaced it with something better while I wasn’t looking!). As if there was less ‘HiFi’ and more ‘music’.

The synergy of the NVA approach means that when you improve one part of the installation – the whole setup reacts to being ‘allowed’ to perform better. What gets removed is a hindrance to better sound. The equipment can do the job – providing it gets the chance to.

I won’t apologise for being an NVA fan, I’ve lived with an NVA amp for 30 years and only replaced it with another one. My system is now completely NVA from in-between the output sockets of the DAC to my ears, with my humble, self-refurbished original 1992 Cube 3’s doing loudspeaker duty. Well, those little speakers are kicking out tight, deep and realistic bass like they were fitted with 12” drivers on steroids and the sound is now so loose from the cabinets that it has got out and taken up residence around the listening room.

With LS5 the imaging and dynamics are exemplary. Fast, accurate bass. Detailed highs. Seamless integration in the middle. LS6 is based on the same construction as this cable but then adds threads of ultra-high purity silver alloy which somehow lets the music live and breathe in a new way. With LS5 you still hear an installation at work, doing its best to make good sounds – shifting to LS6, the reproduction becomes effortless and direct. The music appears in space as if it was already there.

My expectation with this upgrade was that the installation would gain a little in: image focus, detail, dynamic speed and bass depth. Well I got all of those but the quantum jump in ‘living real-ness’ has surprised me, it isn’t easy to describe without getting melodramatically poetic or resorting to clichéd superlatives. Every move up the NVA ladder comes with its own little revelations and brings you closer to your music – which is what it’s all about, isn’t it?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

LS1 to LS6
Quarknosis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:55 am

Before my LS6 cables arrived I often had occasions when I wondered if going further up the LS range would be worth it as the LS1 is a very enjoyable cable. After the last few days I have to say that the answer is a resounding yes.

When listening to electronic music from The Higher Intelligence Agency I experienced an effect that was new to me, while the layers in the music were more clearly defined than I am used to, it was also possible to clearly hear the changes in volume of each individual layer highlighting the ebb and flow and making this a fantastic listening experience.

While this is the most extreme difference noticed so far between the LS6 and any of my previous cables, there have been other differences as well. Instruments seem to have greater texture and have wonderful tone which in a lot of the music that I listen to means that the bass is more satisfying but brass and strings come across far better as well. I remember reading in a Hi Fi mag years ago about hearing when a sizzle cymbal was played and I was able to hear this clearly for the first time with the LS6. There has been an increase in the width of the soundstage with instruments now placed about 18-24 inches outside the speakers rather than being just outside them before the LS6.

The often quoted NVA traits of clarity has also taken a large step forward as well as a more vibrant sound which paradoxically also seems very relaxed at the same time.

So another set of cables that won't be going back to Doc :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A20/P20 Postby Neilwootton » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:43 pm

Very well packed parcel just turned up, extremely impressed with build quality, fit and finish.

FOOK ME ! I didn't expect it to be this good, straight from cold it is staggeringly good, I've had and tried pretty much everything and this diddy duo stands tall.

Outgoing,
Sugden Mystro.
Audio Innovations 500
Exposure vi vii viii
Trafomatic Experience Elegance
The NVA (cold) is just better, no bullshit audiophile analogy needed, it's just better, simples.

Audio note speaker cable, off to eBay.

Emails sent to my toob buddies, you HAVE to come and hear this today !

WTF ! Lol and big thanks.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

NVA Phono 1
By SteveTheShadow
Posted 2/9/2016 10:53 pm.

Right, it's review time :)

A bit of background first:
I was a reluctant vinyl user, after having been severely burned in the 80s/90s by the Linn- Flat Earth nonsense and because of it, had come to loathe and despise vinyl replay, with such an intensity, it bordered on the unhealthy.

I had long since embraced the CD and later, computer audio with open arms, and could not understand how anyone in their right mind, could prefer vinyl. But I never got rid of all my records, and after my son had built me a turntable based on a Goldring/Lenco Gl75 idler drive and a mate had given me a Mayware Formula IV arm as a box of bits to rebuild, I fitted an Audio Technica AT440MLb to the arm and was suddenly back in business and liking what I heard.

So to the present. I have been using a borrowed Musical Fidelity XLP S phono stage and enjoying my records once more, but I needed a phono stage of my own and so bought myself the subject of this review; the NVA Phono 1.

Ordering the Phono1 a couple of weeks ago, it arrived this morning and was quickly connected into the system and warmed up for an hour.

The mirror finished, black, acrylic case is quite beautiful; a perfect example of form follows function, and represents classic British Hi-Fi minimalism in the grand tradition.

The look of the thing inspires confidence from the outset. Everything about it says "quality." The gold-plated phono sockets are tough looking affairs; zero frills, bling free, like they are there to do a specific job, ie. pass a tiny signal in the most efficient manner possible, without losing information - that's it.
The captive mains lead is of a generous length, which means no problems with the cable reaching your electrical sockets, making positioning the unit a doddle. A single red LED to the left of the NVA logo indicates power is reaching the unit.

I will admit, I was a bit worried about hum, due to the lack of any metal in the external construction of the Phono1, but I needn't have been concerned; there was a compete absence of anything really; no hiss, no hum, nothing, nada. In fact I wondered if the thing was working until I passed my cleaning brush over the AT440MLb stylus and heard the familiar scrape through the speakers.

So to the sound,
The Phono1 simply sounds like music. There is a liquidity to the presentation that is quite addictive. It makes you want to keep playing records; digging out stuff, long since consigned to the "sounds crap" end of the shelf and discovering that it sounds bloody good actually. One of the best things about the sound of the Phono1 is the way that it deals with "hot" vocals. We have all cringed at the sound of sssssingers, spitting out sssssibilance and spoiling the enjoyment of what would otherwise be great records, and once it happens, you sit there waiting for it.

With the Phono1, this often troublesome aspect of vinyl replay is quite absent; 's' sounds coming over cleanly and naturally, and if your cartridge has a good line contact stylus and tracks well, the vocal reproduction allowed by the Phono1, puts the performer right in front of you, large as life, vinyl artefacts conspicuous by their absence. This is seriously impressive.

Soundstaging is also impressive, the Phono1 throwing a wide and deep picture on big classical orchestral productions. String tone, comes over without harshness whilst brass blats and blares convincingly.
Piano tone is natural, clear and free from clankiness.

The top end of the spectrum is extended and again pleasingly clear, clean and detailed, with ride cymbals shimmering nicely and crashes being splash free. Triangles, wind chimes etc are sharp and cleanly reproduced. Shakers are pin sharp and do not get buried when the music gets complex.

At the bottom end there is plenty of depth and extension with pleasing growl from bowed basses. Electric bass is well defined and textured. Kick drum is controlled and Timp rolls thunder without loss of grip. The bass end is held nicely so that it doesn't overwhelm and smear everything further up the range when the going gets complex.

Overall pace rhythm and timing, is well portrayed and pitch relationships are absolutely nailed down, with nothing sounding discordant. A good test of pitch is Fender Rhodes electric piano, which on some systems, can sound vague and off tune somehow. There is none of that nonsense with the Phono1.

I think we can safely say that I like this phono stage; I like it a lot. It has given my record collection a much needed shot in the arm. Fantastic stuff Doc. :mrgreen:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ebay Phono 2 purchase

Postby Alfi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:41 pm

I've been running an RJM Phonoclone 3 (47Labs copy/variation) for a number of years with various MC carts and I've been very pleased with it. But a short while ago I purchased a Phono1 for my MM's and consequently was very impressed with such a low cost stage.

I recently caught sight of the Doc selling a Phono 2 on eBay so I though what the hell, at that price (£380) it was worth a punt and given the tremendous feedback/reviews of the NVA P2 I though I'd be in for a treat. Well I took delivery today of a sizeable package with the contents really well packaged as is usual of NVA. Quality packaging quality visuals, I never really thought I'd like black acrylic but I do now, it has grown on me :grin:

So more importantly to sound quality, was I impressed after using my Phonoclone for the past month? No not really. I was utterly gobsmacked after just 5 minutes, it's been running for an hour now and it just gets better, how does Mr Dunn do it I thought? Hopefully avoiding cliche's……. Authority, Scale, Dynamics, Control, Clarity and Presence!! Utterly flecking awesome!! The record collection is going around again!

Thank you Doc! :guiness;

I'll be selling loads of equipment over the next few months and then saving on top of that for some more NVA, hopefully some items from the Statement range but I'll need to discus sizes and prices. Anyone who cannot hear the improvements wrought by NVA must have heading issues :lol:

Alfi.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Ebay Phono 2 purchase

postby Alfi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:33 am

After further listening late into the night :grin: I wish to advise that the Phono 2 also has much delicacy and sweetness to its capabilities, far more than I heard from all other stages I have used to date, it's not just a big and powerful presentation. I really struggle to understand how this can be bettered.

I'm not getting any younger so therefore people ask how can I hear any improvements with different audio components like a phono stage for example. Well my ears heard the change from Phonoclone 3 to Phono 2 plainly, I just wish my ears were 30 years younger to have detected even more loveliness :mrgreen:

The Phono 2 is an awesome phono stage if you love your recorded music it's got to be NVA to hear it at it's best.

:guiness;

Alfi.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Phono 2 2nd PSU
Unread postby Stemcor1990 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 pm

The visit to Doc towers is always a pleasure.

I was there last week to collect a pair of Cube 3s. The old brain cell got working and a short conversation later I was the new owner of PSU no 2. First impression from cold was nothing special but I knew that the little fella needed time to warm up. Once warmed up there is no doubt that the new addition is worthwhile. If you want an analogy then it's a bit like a light dimmer switch. The Doc has said that the circuit is fairly similar throughout the range but with increased power supply as you move up. If you can imagine the dimmer switch at a low level = phono 1, then turning the brightness up a bit brings you to phono 2. A bit more = well you get the idea.

Once again, the upgrade brings you closer to what the musicians were playing during the recording which is what I wanted.

And the Cube 3s ? They are still in their bubble wrap. I want to get "comfortable" with the PSU 2 before changing the speakers. I had a pair under the loan scheme so know how good they are. I'm looking forward to listening to them and will update at some point in the future.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

From Neilwootton

My system, newly acquired NVA A20/P20, Inspire TT/Koetsu Rosewood, Graham Slee phono stage, sound cords throughout, Ls1 cable and choice of speakers, Proacs super tabs, AVI Neutron monitors, Living Voice.

Bit of background, coming from valves to NVA and being astounded the above setup has seen off a few (very expensive) toob friends systems.

One example is a dealer buddy of mine to whom I sold my Audio Innovations 500, he came round to collect it and asked why I was selling off all my valve gear to which I showed him the diddy NVA setup, his remark was, Oh, are they still going ? I said it was that good he could bring anything round and compare, he rather smugly agreed and turned up the next day with a fully modded Linn lp12 (I know, sigh) Pathos twin towers toob amp and big Tannoy red Lancaster's. It sounded OK with a little too much echo and with almost a reverb quality to it, bass was like a bucket of gravel being shaken about, he thought it was the dogs, his vinyl of choice was J L Hookers the Healer.

I proceeded to put my system on using Willie Nelson's Stardust playing through the Avi's. Within the first 2/3 minutes I could see his face drop and confusion set in, I could actually see him trying to figure it out, he said he couldn't believe he'd turned up with 10k's worth and it had been spanked. He began to check over his Linn making excuses etc, I told him the best thing to do was get a hacksaw and trim 6 inches off each end as it would fit in the bin better!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A20/P20 new owner
postby Jonty2547 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm

So the A20/P20 combo arrived today..

..and as well as looking impossibly beautiful, it sounds better than it looks!

I feel more than happy knowing that my money has been spent on whats inside and not daft overpriced casework and other unnecessary “bling”.
A run through of Ian Browns Music of the Spheres revealed an experience i’ve not had before with that CD. I compared it back to back with my Croft integrated and the difference was astonishing and I mean really "sit up and take notice” astonishing.

Theres plenty of "HiFi" reviews out there professing to hear things that "weren't" audible before using certain equipment, but i can't say I've heard anything new.
What i will say, is that what I've heard is an uncoloured presentation of what is on the original recording and surely that's the point?

Sadly that’s as far as my reviewing talent goes, but i will say that for the small outlay of £300 that the A20/P20 and cable package is outrageously good value for money!
This could get addictive, very quickly :guiness;