A40 Mk2 and P50 Burn in ?

All things NVA
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: A40 Mk2 and P50 Burn in ?

Unread post by Fretless »

Hey Doc, looking at the Dynaudio Audience 42 specs: 4 ohm, 86db sensitivity, the A40's ought to be able to drive them to good levels without any problem, or not? And the Eastgate dac has variable output so it can DI into the monoblocks.
A question of synergy?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

AshM750.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

Thanks for your consideration Doc, I will start after breakfast tomorrow :guiness; . Cheers to everyone for your time and help.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Start with an understanding that all specs are bollocks, they don't help you apart from in gross matching. If it is louder with the Royds then the amp is not liking the speakers. If the finned top of the amp is getting hot to the touch then the amp doesn't like the load. If there is a halo type distortion around piano notes then the amp is latching up as it doesn't like the load and it will not get loud as the power is being drawn to the instability.

NVA amps are matched by customers with many Dynaudio models. They would not be my personal taste, but there should be no problem.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Looking at the Eastgate Minimax dac (nice!), it has 2 output modes: 3v tube or 2.5V solid state. Would this make a difference?

Some CD's are mastered at differing volume levels, so you can expect a loudness difference between albums.

Sorry, couldn't let this go, had a long day myself and its midnight here.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

AshM750.

Fretless wrote:Looking at the Eastgate Minimax dac (nice!), it has 2 output modes: 3v tube or 2.5V solid state. Would this make a difference?

Some CD's are mastered at differing volume levels, so you can expect a loudness difference between albums.

Sorry, couldn't let this go, had a long day myself and its midnight here.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I have owned many DACs in the past and this one is very speical, I have upgraded the opamps and tube and its such a great bit of kit. I do apoligise for last night and all my spelling lol

nerica19

Unread post by nerica19 »

Fretless wrote:Are you using the 'direct in' input on the P50 or the switched inputs? I tried my dac with direct, but because I had a phono amp running into a switched socket it didn't work well. With both on switchable inputs it works fine and my A40's have more than enough power to drive Magnaplanars.
Yes, my P50 + A60S drive my big Carver Platinums very sweetly indeed and loud as you like, although they're normally plugged into the Royds. I did look for a pair of Magneplanars a while back and may do so again at some point but the price difference between USA original prices and UK prices for anything of recent vintage is a bit much to bear as a matter on principle.

But in terms of the actual speaker masterplan, is there anyone within spitting distance of the M40/M4 corridor who has a pair of Cube 1s in an NVA setup that I could come and have a quick listen to anytime in the next couple of months before I decide to buy a pair?
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

AshM750.

Ok Doc just to let you know the amps dont ever seem to get hot, I think I am confusing myself with volume and bass, I am in the younger generation on this forum (29 years old and just a baby lol) and I was kinda brought up with a love of bass, (but not to much as its not all about bass) the point being when I listen to the Naim it does have a deeper but less clean bass. The thing with the NVA is that it is so clear and enjoyable, the seperation is perfect but I feel I would like a bit more bottom end, if it had that for me it would be perfect. I have tried various speaker positioning but still cant get the room a little bit shakey like with the naim. But I dont have the clarity with the naim, which is what I want.

Would upgrading to the A80s make any difference ? the price I could get for the Naim would allow me to upgrade. The NVA stuff looks so much better aswell.

AshM750.

Forget what i said about the bass, What would be the difference in upgrading to the A80s ? i had the Naim upstairs warming up all morning and just put it on and its not really what I expected after a week of listening to the NVA. NVA hands down

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Should that be "NVA wins hands down".

Change to A80 will be improvement all round, but mostly in bass. BUT your cost effective upgrades would be with the interconnect and speaker cable. LS6 and SSC or SSP.

The other thing to consider is SA on the pre-amp.

AshM750.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Should that be "NVA wins hands down".
Yes Doc, to be fair to the Naim although it isnt as clear and defined as the NVA ,it does have some what of an involving sound but fatiguing.

Sorry about the spelling and english lol