BBBMU

All things NVA
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BBBMU

Unread post by jammy395 »

AshM750. wrote:Very nice Doc, that's a great achievement! What a big beast! 8-)
It is a bit of a monster, should be fitted with castors. :mrgreen:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I want one, just 'cos it's huge and shiny !!! :lol: :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It has been silent since 5pm, now 8.30pm and it is humming like a box of bees :x

Still nothing connected to it, so cannot be any influence from the secondary side.

:shock: stopped, that one lasted less than 2 minutes, then it started again 1 min latter, this has me flummoxed. :-?

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Would the BBBMU benifit from being fed from a standard BMU......This may cure the Hum. :shifty: :animals-dogrun: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then I might as well just use that, as the smaller transformer will hardly show it compared with this monster. It is like the difference between a a 6inch bass mid drive and an 18inch PA driver, it is size that counts in this case. I might have to swop this 5kva transformer for a standard 1kva.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The only thing I can think of with this irregular pattern of use is a lift in an office or a block of flats, but there are none near me that I can see. Around me it is all houses and low rise. I have heard of lifts fecking up the mains before.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just gone 12 midnight and the BBBMU is now totally silent, even with an ear pressed to it. To the extent I had to use my meter to see if it was still working, and it is. We really don't realise how fecked up our mains is in this country :x Oh for living in rural France, proper mains, proper house wiring, proper plugs - lucky sods.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well the benefit, if there is any as I cannot say there is, of the 5kva v the 1kva really just does not justify the extra cost, extra weight, extra annoyance, extra noise. I will revert to a 1kva in the box as I need all the extra sockets. The 5kva tranny cost me £260 inc vat and delivery, anyone want it for a small discount.

So BBBMU will morph into BMUX (extra sockets).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I sold a Naim CD-S2 to a chap living in a village. it's well known how Naim transformers used to buzz and snarl, and this one did too in the client's location. The buzz changed in harmonics, almost as if it was playing a tune, or a synth bass note was being altered - eee/awww/ehhh and modulating in volume. it was so bad and the ARC SP25 he also bought was so rosy-coloured in tone, he swapped them for a Theta 'DaViD' which did it all and so much better sonically. This was silent as was the Krell FPB300 they were feeding.

In my case, I happen to be a collection point for Crown D-60's and currently have FOUR of the little things in the house. My first one is awful for noise. Fairly quiet in the day time, it's like a buzz-saw in the evenings, BMU or not. The last one I've been custodian of (it's going back to the original owner from new at Whitsun) is absolutely silent under all mains conditions.....
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: The 5kva tranny cost me £260 inc vat and delivery, anyone want it for a small discount.
What's the spec? I'm considering putting in a dedicated spur with a BMU at the far end (i.e. next to the distribution box).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro