Powered Cube to Cubix (P7) to Cubix Pro (P11)

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Powered Cube 1 (Cubix pro head unit)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Stemcor1990 wrote:Excellent news. I would very much like to hear this incarnation of the pro. On a different note, the phono 2 I collected from you last week sounds like a swarm of bees on one channel. Swapping leads etc has not solved the problem. Can I "double-up" by bring the 2 for some Doc tlc and a listen to the new pro.
:shock: :-? yes of course just confirm when.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Both sides working, 1st CD Ella and Louis Together - magic.

It is another step on musically from the single top module, it is the sense of ease and reality that is kicking me in the head at the moment, and the lower units still need a lot of running in.

Per usual Ella is just wonderful, where the main change is is with Satchmo, his voice makes so much more sense and human, and his trumpet is wonderful. "A Foggy Day in London Town" playing at the mo :grin: :grin: :clap: :clap: :dance: .

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'll give 'em a week to run in and them I'm on my way!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Some bass notes are overloading the room and exciting the standing wave, I will move them out a little further later. I am really a little too small here for them, optimum bass for me is single unit. This will also calm as the second bass drivers run in. But the rest of the music is in a different class again.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Doc, I will be in touch soon. I am so looking forward to hearing the 2 layer pro.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Dave is here, Tubular Bells at the moment, it is epic, better than I have ever heard it, there are nuances and background things that I thought I had heard all of. There is now a completely new layer.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

But do you have the version with Viv Stanshall's Sailor's Hornpipe on it. How nuanced is Stanshall's slurring? :grin:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Come and hear for yourself :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well I am happy, but I have loads of work to do and if I leave them on I just sit with the soldering iron poised in the air and nothing gets done, so they have gone off but left electrically on to run in. A little siesta then back to work.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Oh bloody hell, I'm CROSS!!!!!!! ;)

I was subjected to Tubular bloody bells pt1 all the way through (the original 1973 mix with no hornpipe) - BUT HANG ON - for the first time in years since I regularly listened to Dolby A master copies of this album through Tannoy Devon's (it sounds amazing into these), I was listening THROUGH the mix and not just hearing 'extra' details in the background, but also what these things were playing and how they musically related to the more obvious instruments we know and love/despise - cough... I tell you lot something, Mr Oldfield is one hell of a musician with real vision, since he put this thing together over months of burning midnight oil I believe. I've been finding this a lot recently and my admiration for musicians, composers, recording staff and producers who work so bloody hard to build these albums has rocketed.

We played all sorts this afternoon. The Doc will provide a list no doubt. I have to say that like the single box as I did, the second box addition takes it to another level entirely. I LOVED the bass - the room isn't too small really IMO - and the whole thing just breathes so clearly and easily in a way that is enchanting and captivating on disc after disc. These speakers LOVE music of all genres with atmosphere and both orchestral and vocals were beautifully served. As for the hf, I have to pass as I realise that all the speakers I like, have a treble that gently slopes down. The Cubix as I've heard them don't! The two box version I heard today if anything sounded better at hf too and I could guess amateurishly that the wider dispersion might have something to do with it. The other thing is that differences in production are laid bare, an early Cat Stevens recording sounding a bit 'hot' on sibilance, where a Christy Moore album (Ride On) sounded just right! These things also 'do' well recorded sax like few others as well in my opinion.

So and without a doubt, a VERY enjoyable afternoon. To anyone saying that Red Book CD lacks emotion and delicacy when it's there in the recording really needs a system upgrade, or some more exposure to real live music!!!!! I knew NVA amps can 'do it' with consumate ease, but the two box Cubix Pro lets it all through so easily :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...