NVA power amplifiers

All things NVA
bestbuyer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NVA power amplifiers

Unread post by bestbuyer »

I joined here to find out a bit more about NVA amps. I am looking for a new power amp and only need around 20wpc, so the A30 would appear to fit the bill.

The spec looks fine, as does the price, however a couple of things worry me. Firstly, are the cases plastic? I would have thought that the heat produced would make that type of material unsuitable? Secondly, do I have to get rid of my existing speaker cables and interconnects? The site says that you must use NVA cables, otherwise the warranty is void. Why? Surely any competently made cable would work?

Lots of questions, I know, but I need to know before I consider buying one.

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: NVA power amplifiers

Unread post by Shevans »

Have a look at the eBay listing, you will see that there is a heatsink on the top to dissapate heat...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-A30mk2-St ... xyRhBS7XOu

Case is acrylic, you can use any interconnects but have to use NVA speaker cable and the eBay listing covers why.

bestbuyer

Shevans wrote:Have a look at the eBay listing, you will see that there is a heatsink on the top to dissapate heat...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-A30mk2-St ... xyRhBS7XOu

Case is acrylic, you can use any interconnects but have to use NVA speaker cable.
Thanks for the reply. So I presume that acrylic doesn't melt then?

I see now that I can use my own interconnects (although it does seem that NVA ones are recommended) but NVA speaker cables are insisted upon.... Why?

ADMIN EDIT - seeing as this is a retrospect edit so you can have a retrospect 3rd strike - yerrrrrr out! and you wont be back.
Last edited by bestbuyer on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

An A30 and A40 are built around a cast alluminium finned heatsink which is the top of the amp and dictates the shape of it. The output stage is obviously fixed to that. The rest of the case is black acrylic plate, side sheets 20mm as that makes the structure with the heatsink. The front rear and base plate is 5mm acrylic.

The cable thing has been explained so many times it is daft. just look in the archive. Interconnects are for sound / music reasons. Speaker cables are for amplifier protection as *some* cables are so reactive they drive the amp unstable + you won't know the amp unless you use nva cable, so to be honest 1/ people wont hear what nva is about so what is the point 2/ why should I put up with burnt out amps from daftly designed cable like litz, goetz or other stupidity. So it is easier just to make it a system requirement. People who try it know why it is done.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

The cases are acrylic. And there's a good reason for that to do with CE regulations.
If you search the forum, you will find the explanation for the insistence on using NVA speaker cables. The explanation is technical so it is simpler to say use of non NVA cables is not supported.

More importantly, there are plenty of ways you can try without too much risk. So why not forget those questions, the most important one is Does it sound musical to your ears?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

bestbuyer

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:An A30 and A40 are built around a cast alluminium finned heatsink which is the top of the amp and dictates the shape of it. The output stage is obviously fixed to that. The rest of the case is black acrylic plate, side sheets 20mm as that makes the structure with the heatsink. The front rear and base plate is 5mm acrylic.

The cable thing has been explained so many times it is daft. just look in the archive. Interconnects are for sound / music reasons. Speaker cables are for amplifier protection as *some* cables are so reactive they drive the amp unstable + you won't know the amp unless you use nva cable, so to be honest 1/ people wont hear what nva is about so what is the point 2/ why should I put up with burnt out amps from daftly designed cable like litz, goetz or other stupidity. So it is easier just to make it a system requirement. People who try it know why it is done.
Wow, that's pretty blunt!

I have no idea what "reactive" cables are. I hope you can enlighten me on that front?

As for interconnects, I can see why you would recommend your own "for sound reasons" but are there any other manufacturers cables that would be acceptable?

bestbuyer

terrybooth wrote:The cases are acrylic. And there's a good reason for that to do with CE regulations.
If you search the forum, you will find the explanation for the insistence on using NVA speaker cables. The explanation is technical so it is simpler to say use of non NVA cables is not supported.

More importantly, there are plenty of ways you can try without too much risk. So why not forget those questions, the most important one is Does it sound musical to your ears?
Sorry, but the most important question is "are these amplifiers safe" especially as it is recommended that they are left switched on permanently

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ignore him he is a troll.

So who are you on other forums and why should you want to come here to try and make trouble.

We have had trolls coming out of our ears at times over the history of this forum so we are apt at recognising them. You sir are one of them and I am sure we would know you if you identify yourself. So my advice is piss off back from whence you came and play your silly games there. You are obviously not a potential NVA customer.

bestbuyer

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Ignore him he is a troll.
So who are you on other forums and why should you want to come here to try make trouble.

We have had trolls coming out of our ears at times over the history of this forum so we are apt at recognising them. You sir are one of them and I am sure we would know you if you identify yourself. So my advice is piss off back from whence you came and play your silly games there. You are obviously not a potential NVA customer.
Unbelievable!

I hope your other customer didn't get this treatment before he bought your incendiary device. Or have "IS" placed a block orderf?

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

bestbuyer wrote: Sorry, but the most important question is "are these amplifiers safe" especially as it is recommended that they are left switched on permanently
Hi,to put your mind at rest i have three NVA amps,all of them have never been turned off.My AP70 has been permanently switched on for five years now.Don't like to risk upseting it by letting it feel unwanted. :grin: They never overheat .Wish they did,as a state pensioner i could do with all the extra heat i can get.If i ever afford a holiday is the only time i might consider turning them off.By the way who the feck is "IS" anyway.
Last edited by wallace on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1