Advice on Speaker Stands

All things NVA
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Advice on Speaker Stands

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

George Hincapie wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:Nobody's challenging your integrity, folks are trying their best to help.
Put your culprit speaker on the floor and off any stands, spikes or any other gubbins and preferably on the carpet, now play the offending piece of music, get close to the culprit speaker and try to make it distort. If you hear the distortion coming from the driver or the cabinet, then you have the source of your problem. If you hear nothing untoward then the "distortion has to be somewhere else in the room or to do with the stands.
I have had time to do this today. The distortion still occurs with the Cube on the floor...until I press on the top grille and it stops...

I tried pressing on both grilles the other evening when advised to try by Doc and although it reduced it, it didn't stop it. Clearly I wasn't pressing firmly enough. How can I secure the grille properly?

P.S. Thanks.
I'm glad that the method I described has isolated the problem.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

zebbo wrote:When I had this with mine I just pushed the grille sideways. With mine I found I could almost get it to vibrate with a sharp tap with my fingertips, (not knuckles), so I just kept shoving it about until it sounded "dead". It hardly moves at all, certainly not enough to see but it did sort of wedge-in tighter.
If that fails, (or in my case if it starts to do it again), I would go round the rubber seal, lifting it and squeezing a drop of Uhu glue in there every couple of inches or so.
Tried that. The grill doesn't move, or seem to move within the surround (my Cubes have the newer grill surrounds) but clearly it has moved enough to stop vibrating; that seems to have worked. Thanks! :guiness;

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

:dance: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

George Hincapie wrote:
zebbo wrote:When I had this with mine I just pushed the grille sideways. With mine I found I could almost get it to vibrate with a sharp tap with my fingertips, (not knuckles), so I just kept shoving it about until it sounded "dead". It hardly moves at all, certainly not enough to see but it did sort of wedge-in tighter.
If that fails, (or in my case if it starts to do it again), I would go round the rubber seal, lifting it and squeezing a drop of Uhu glue in there every couple of inches or so.
Tried that. The grill doesn't move, or seem to move within the surround (my Cubes have the newer grill surrounds) but clearly it has moved enough to stop vibrating; that seems to have worked. Thanks! :guiness;
Good work chaps :grin:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I have to say that I really am enjoying this thread. Going off at a tangent a couple of times has provided some interesting reading. Many thanks to everybody who has made a contribution so far.

So last night I had an hour on my own. The cube 3s are still at the plonk and play stage on unlevelled oak stands so a bit wobbly. At low to medium volumes this combo sings and I'm grateful for the loan programme which allowed me to appreciate the Cube. Crank the volume up to ear splitting levels and the speakers start to struggle. The sound starts to fall apart and there is a resonant type sound between the speakers and the stands. This is not surprising but it does make me wonder just how loud the Cubes can go when set up correctly. My guess is that it's louder than I will ever need.

If I ever manage to find the time (can you just do this for me before listening to some music.....) to get the stands rock solid I will post an update. The washing machine "silencers" look like a good idea and at a sensible price.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Oh dear. Now you've done it. You mentioned 'loudness'. You are in trouble! The Doc will be along shortly to administer a sound thrashing :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

George Hincapie wrote:Oh dear. Now you've done it. You mentioned 'loudness'. You are in trouble! The Doc will be along shortly to administer a sound thrashing :clap:
:violence-axechase:

Leeorton45

Unread post by Leeorton45 »

A nice idea, I'd like to be able to get stands to go with the speakers. Get the speakers to right height as the designer intended . Any way, if nva make them you know that they will work and are an integral part of the system.

Too bad nva don't do cd players, dacs and turntables.

I'd never need a dealer visit again!!

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Actually he did once, (not the DAC though). :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dac as well, called the DACon. Mid 1990's.

http://www.hifi4sale.net/t53601-nva-dac ... in-england

We had a tie in with QED and helped them with power supply development work because I was so surprised how good the Digit was for the money, but it improved out of all proportion with a little extra work and bigger power supplies, which led to their Positron. We used their PCB's and modified them, supplied by them with their permission, to build our DAC.