Cubix Pro - new thoughts

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Cubix Pro - new thoughts

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When I build these I run them to begin with a on standard PSU as used with Phono2 for checking, before building and attaching the big pro PSU. Also just repaired a couple of Terry's modules (don't ask) and just had the speakers back no power supplies, same thing just used standard supplies.

So seeing as they work perfectly well in this way I thought why not make it that the PSU's are an ugrade process :think: make the Pro's available at lower price with upgrade path.

Current price for the Cubix Pros is £5000 per module (up to three normally, but in reality only limited by height available :mrgreen: ). If I cost the pro PSU separately at £1000 each (£2000 the pair) and the speaker module at £1500 each (£3000 per pair) then that gives a start point for a pair of pro with standard PSUs at £3400, or with first upgrade to two standard PSU as we do with Phono2 per module then £3800, finally upgrade to pro supply then full £5000.

Interestingly I have run a Phono2 on a pro supply and it loves it so there is another upgrade, and there is no reason why it can't be done with my special version of the headphone amp.

:doh: I really must stop thinking :mrgreen:

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cubix Pro - new thoughts

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sounds like you could be causing your self more work Doc. :doh: but I thinks that's what you enjoy. Would really like to hear these Cubix speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

At the moment in Gidea Park (Romford) and Halifax.

Its no more work. The parts are being made anyway, it is just finding other uses and giving more flexibility. I think the only problem is explaining it.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

The smaller power supplies would be much kinder to customers backs! :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Putting a slightly different angle on this, does it mean that the statement phono can be run from a single phono 2 psu ? I have often thought about the statement and I could then get to the phono plus psu as a couple of upgrades.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Just to add to what I said on DTB's Celestion upgrade thread, I heard Terry's Cubix pro's today used with a pair of PSU's, and although they lack what I remember of the 'precision clout' of the properly supplied version, they had sweetness, clarity and atmosphere to die for, the upper mids absolutely gorgeous and this wasn't with them properly set up at all either.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Stemcor1990 wrote:Putting a slightly different angle on this, does it mean that the statement phono can be run from a single phono 2 psu ? I have often thought about the statement and I could then get to the phono plus psu as a couple of upgrades.
:oops: well the Statement Phono is basically a Phono 2 in a sexier case, the difference is the power supply, as in this one.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Stemcor1990 wrote:Putting a slightly different angle on this, does it mean that the statement phono can be run from a single phono 2 psu ? I have often thought about the statement and I could then get to the phono plus psu as a couple of upgrades.
:oops: well the Statement Phono is basically a Phono 2 in a sexier case, the difference is the power supply, as in this one.

Drat, drat and double drat. I was thinking about the statement phono. I have the phono 2 on a sideboard and the 2 psus in a rack. There's no chance whatsoever of getting rid of the rack. Tonight I put the psus on the sideboard and the phono 2 in the rack. No surprise when I say that the phono sounded like a bees nest but interestingly enough when I lifted the phono 2 up so that it was at the same place as the top psu occupies the bees flew away.

My rack (and I know the Doc hates them) accommodates Naim 250 type boxes so I believe it's too small for the statement psu. I could probably get the statement psu on the sideboard but the question then becomes how high is the statement phono ? I can find any measurements on the site. Any help from the Doc or statement phono owners gratefully received.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Just before you all give me some flack, I should state that I was a Naim owner for just under 30 years. It's all in the past now.....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

100mm

Get rid of the rack :naughty: