BMU

All things NVA
Andy-831
Great Britain

BMU

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Doc

Knowing you would answer this honestly could I ask a question about mains and the BMU.

I built a dedicated listening room 10 years ago and at that time I had the sparkie run a 10mm radial to 6 Unswitched MK sockets direct from the consumer unit to the listening room as a dedicated supply for the Hi Fi.

I never ever get any clicks pops or interference of any kind from other electrical items in the house, but because I live out on the moors I appear to be first dwelling off the transformer which is about 50m away in the next field up some poles, so my mains does run a bit hot at 248v. It has never been measured below or above this figure so is steady away at that value which I understand is within the allowable +/_ % variation allowed under EU law.

Given this scenario would the BMU bring anything to the party?

Andy
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Re: BMU

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Good points Andy, would like some more 'user info' on the BMU as I'm thinking of adding one myself.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The BMU does two things. Its original purpose which is to take noise and DC out your mains feed into your system. The bigger effect that I didn't understand would happen and still don't know why it happens is the music takes a step up as well. So yes you will get benefit.. Side effect for you (if you want it) is I can get a special transformer made that is 230v in and 110v / 110v out so giving you a 10v drop in line voltage, it will put extra delay on delivery.

Andy-831
Great Britain

LOL

I really do not understand how that happens or even really what it means but bugger it I am going to try one.

Time delays are not a problem for me, either for a BMU or the Phono 2, just put me to the back of the queue if your inundated I am happy to wait.

Andy
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Do you want the voltage drop.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Yes please I have sent an email via Ebay
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

Lupus-Dei
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lupus-Dei »

I am very much looking forward to experimenting with the BMU, and hopefully of experiencing similar benefits as reported by adopters currently running with one of Richards units.

My mains as of the present have Source and Pre powered via an Power Inspired AG-1500 with my Mono Blocks running through a Schuko distribution box via an Isotek Titan II.

I would be most interested the hear from BMU users as to how they have configured a BMU into their own systems, whether in isolation or in combination with other mains related products or equipment.

As matters stand I shall have a number of connection options and combinations with which to play around with.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You shouldn't need all that shit to listen to music at home, but I do admit an awful lot of areas have worse mains quality than ever and the gear isn't as immune to it as one would like.

Here on the coast, the mains seems pretty consistent day to day (it wasn't in Luton I remember) and the BMU was a luxury really. It DOES seem to help though - and not just on NVA amps either! - and here it stays..

My take on mains regenerators is that they're trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted. Just my take and not all of us have huge spending money to buy a large enough one. The BMU is about as cost-effective as I reckon most would need and it looks acceptable out on show as well, which I don't think others do...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Lupus-Dei

Unread post by Lupus-Dei »

Well......All part of the experiment, there are well founded reasons both measurable and subjectively audible as to why I run my incumbent PS rig, I have not been at this mains tuning lark in my listening room all of two mins David.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Makes a real difference to me. Rural location and mains sort-of OK. After about three months of having the BMU in my system, I tried without... for about 15minutes then re-instated the BMU.... I don't have Golden Ears by a long chalk, but the difference was marked.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.