Distance between components

All things NVA
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Distance between components

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm "The requirement to be compliant with legislation, meaning they go for metal cases and IEC connectors where there are better ways."

This sentence is just plain wrong.
It is wrong only because you, and I, know better. Most manufacturers do in fact go for metal cases and IEC sockets because, I suspect, they know how to comply when they do so.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:56 pm The requirement to be compliant with legislation, meaning they go for metal cases and IEC connectors where there are better ways.
Reading that again, it doesn't say what I meant!
Try this instead.
The requirement to be compliant with legislation; meaning that, for some inexplicable reason, they go for metal cases with IEC mains sockets rather than explore the alternatives.

I have failed more IEC cable than any other item when PAT testing, a reliable connection seems to be a real problem.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

EXACTLY - yet you will find ridiculous rip-off bullshit mains leads being sold for up to £2K :-? and yet sitting on the end of them is the worst mains plug ever made in the IEC. And if for use in the UK the second worst mains plug ever made sitting on the other end.

This level of daftness could only occur in the Hi-Fi industry, we really are our own worst enemy.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Doc do you mean theres no point either replacing the fuse in one of your plugs for a 'Super Fuse' :twisted:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:47 pm EXACTLY - yet you will find ridiculous rip-off bullshit mains leads being sold for up to £2K :-? and yet sitting on the end of them is the worst mains plug ever made in the IEC. And if for use in the UK the second worst mains plug ever made sitting on the other end.

This level of daftness could only occur in the Hi-Fi industry, we really are our own worst enemy.
Made worse by the fact that the shuttered mains socket is brilliant in its simplicity but built into a stupidly conceived connection system. Our big, square, pins use as much metal as four European style pins but have a smaller contact area.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hemmo1969 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm Doc do you mean theres no point either replacing the fuse in one of your plugs for a 'Super Fuse' :twisted:
NO super fuse can ever be better than no fuse.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm
Hemmo1969 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm Doc do you mean theres no point either replacing the fuse in one of your plugs for a 'Super Fuse' :twisted:
NO super fuse can ever be better than no fuse.
Haha ... I see what you did there. :)

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Interesting post... and replies. I didn't realise that the BMU may have such an effect upon other equipment. Presently I have the 2 x A70 power-amps and the BMU on the same glass shelf, with the R-hand mono only about 5ins from the BMU.

I have noticed a buzzing (nothing horrible), but time to move I feel.

Thank you.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

How far is ‘far enough’ with the BMU? Could owners commmet please?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hemmo1969 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 pm How far is ‘far enough’ with the BMU? Could owners commmet please?
Run an extension block from one of the BMU sockets, then you can have the BMU at least a few metres away and out of sight. If there is no hum then it is far enough away, but I don't see the need or desire to locate the BMU very close to the equipment it supplies.

Hope this helps.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/