NVA TFS

All things NVA
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

NVA TFS

Unread post by kimangelis »

Has anyone any experience (including you Richard) of the NFA TFS?

I know what it is and that it's pretty old, as it runs Windows7. The components are top-notch.... Sold-State drive rather than a spinner, a good DAC and software. Plus I know that NVA provided the PSU(s)?

Any comments anyone?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: NVA TFS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is a long sad story not worth going into now. BUT I cannot service repair or help anyone who owns one of these, they have to go back to the maker and designer. All I did is do him a favour by letting him do it as a NVA product, to have my head shat on per usual. His forum name was Figlet108 and Jason Souloglou his actual name. He was the forum admin before Terry and potential partner in NVA.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jason-souloglou-80a79a2a

He promised to service and look after them but I have heard he doesn't reply to emails about them.

kimangelis
Great Britain

I see. Thank you for your candor Richard. Sorry you were faffed about.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

It's a fairly standard PC with an NVA power supplier. PC components were chosen (and case designed) to remove the need for a fan and to play music. The soundcard was an Asus Sonar. It was supplied with Windows 7 and a copy of JRiver Media player, which also ripped CDs. All of it configured to work 'out of the box'.

The power supply had a 12v and a 5v feed (standard for a PC) but that meant that the PC and the soundcard were on separate power suppliers.

It upgraded to Windows 10.

SQ had the curious effect of making a ripped CD sound a bit better than a played CD.

Personally, I prefer the Pi with a DAC board.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

kimangelis
Great Britain

Thank you. I was already doubtful, but now confirmed. I'm not prepared to exchange my Rega Apollo/Brio combo for this.

hillsanddalesrover

Unread post by hillsanddalesrover »

terrybooth wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 pm
SQ had the curious effect of making a ripped CD sound a bit better than a played CD.

Not that unusual really. :)

kimangelis
Great Britain

In what way. Can you expand?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I had a TFS for nearly two years and the recordings on to the storage from CD were audibly better than the CD. Not a clue why but others have said the same about other systems for doing this.

But that was through the TFS in both cases, the CD transport direct V the storage. When I got the Sony CD (forget the number) and Sony DAS R1 it was a level higher again.

hillsanddalesrover

Unread post by hillsanddalesrover »

kimangelis wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:08 pm In what way. Can you expand?

perhaps it's the way the CDs are ripped ?

EAC for example will read several times if necessary, so whereas a CD player may make up any gaps the computer file is potentially less corrupted.

Anyway, I know several people who say ripped CDs sound better than the originals. :)

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Sony CDP-R1/DAS-R1 CD player
I only remember as it was in my want list since first time I heard it... Buggers are expensive though...
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/