TIS between cdp and preamp

All things NVA
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: TIS between cdp and preamp

Unread post by karatestu »

The Naim cdp is the only bit of naim stuff i still use. I have modded the knackers off it :dance: It really is marvellous and won't be going anywhere unless it becomes unrepairable. Four psu's (digital, anologue stage, dac, clock) and some very nice regulators and other little goodies.

Preamp has no plugs and sockets - hardwired :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Well the transplant has been done at cdp end and preamp end. Crappy phono sockets that I had in my parts bin.

For anyone interested :roll: , on the Naim CDP output din socket pin1 is channel one (right), pin 2 is channel two (left) and pin 3 is zero volts. But if you are changing din to phono then you will have to open up the player anyway and it is easy to trace the tracks and check continuity with a DMM . If you were clever and good with an iron you could solder the necessary signal out wires from the relevant pins of the output relay and straight to the phono sockets.

It was a bit of an arse of a job but it is done now until I get some decent phono sockets. Soldering in the phono sockets at the preamp end was a lot easier because it is not naim and does not have any silly din plugs :grin:

TIS cable is in and I am currently listening to Stevie wonder Innervisions :dance: That bus is in the room again doc :lol: Very interesting but I have not listened any way near enough yet to make any comments apart from I can hear more of the music :guiness; . I have replaced a cable and sockets in one go so I don't know what did what between them.

More listening to do..............
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

90% of difference is cable.

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm 90% of difference is cable.
Noted.

I am currently playing Weather Report Domino Theory. Yes I know , AGAIN. I have a about 15 cd's I listen to when playing about with my system and this is one of them.

I have just had one of the longest tingling, hairs stuck up on the back of my neck moments. Very emotional - I almost wept with joy the music moved me so much. It was the last track on the album - Domino Theory. All of you who don't like Jazz (or Jazz fusion as this is known) are probably shaking your heads thinking how can I be moved by a "random collection of noises". Well I can and it has just happened. Being a drummer helps I suppose and jazz is the pinnacle of drumming.

In the track Domino Theory I am suddenly very more aware of Wayne Shorter's saxophone. In places his parts are exactly the same as Joe Zawinul's (RIP)keyboard parts - so very together that sometimes I could not make out the full tone and sound of each. I most definitely can now. It brought tears to my eyes listening to how well those two interacted and played together, and the increased information around each instrument brought some magic moments where the full intention and brilliant technique of the musicians were brought over.

More later when I have listened more. It's karate training tonight though which will put a spanner in the works.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I will have to copy and paste the relevant bits from this thread for your review Doc, my observations are being typed as I listen.

I am currently sat captivated in my listening chair, unable to move with mouth open a lot of the time. Reminds me of being stoned, it is that good :grin: . I never thought that cables could make such a difference, but they can :shock: I have obviously never heard a really good cable up to now. Eyes wide open.

There is much more information present with this TIS between CDP and preamp. Call it information, detail or whatever you want but it is not the kind of upgrade that would happen if improving a regulator or power supply and it is never in your face or unpeasant. It is a different kind of detail where the instruments sound more like the real thing rather than a faxcimile of it. The whole of the instrument is there - resonating, harmonic detail which is so beautiful I want to weep again :roll:

I am finding most improvement in the mid and high frequencies. The shimmer of cymbals, sound effects put on instruments etc etc. I can hear further into the recording, even the room where it was recorded. Soundstage and imaging have been improved. Even though my semi Omni speakers are not well known for their imaging the improvement is clear to the ears :dance:

Once again the atmosphere of the recording and the beautiful, technical playing of the musicians is what shines through with this cable.

More listening to do........
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Another observation.

I am hearing the best vocals I have ever had. So clear and natural. Also less sibilance which is nice. I can hear the individual parts in multi layered vocals better. Listening to Sheryl Crow (the track "Home")at the moment and I have never wanted to screw her more than now :whistle:

Earlier I was listening to Portishead Dummy and I never thought that Beth Gibbons was that good a vocalist. Now I can clearly hear that she is better than I had given her credit for :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

karatestu wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:49 pm Well the transplant has been done at cdp end and preamp end. Crappy phono sockets that I had in my parts bin.

For anyone interested :roll: , on the Naim CDP output din socket pin1 is channel one (right), pin 2 is channel two (left) and pin 3 is zero volts.
Hang on a minute. DIN plugs started as three pin only. Looking at the input socket head on, pin 1 is the left, pin 2 is the middle and pin three is the right hand one. For stereo, two more pins were added, pin 4 on the left and pin 5 on the right.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/dincon.php

The Naim CD output will have the connections reversed, so pins 3 and 5 will appear on the left, as the socket is wired as an output socket.. Bloody crap :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

karatestu
Great Britain

Its bloody confusing Dave.

All i needed to know was the 5 pin din on the back of the CD3.5 used the first three pins counting from the left when you look at the back panel. Out of the 5 pins zero volts was the middle one (pin3 which ever direction you start counting) and the two signal channels were pins 1 & 2 if counting from the left or pins 4&5if counting from the right.

Bloody crap i agree. 5 pin 240 degrees, 5 pin 180 degrees, 4 pin - the mind boggles. I have never come across a 3 pin though.

I ended up soldering the signal wires to the pins of the output relay. The 0V was easy.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Back on topic......

These TIS really are someting special. The music has never been so good.

Lets see how many i need...

1) CDP to pre check
2)Phono1 to pre
3)Preamp to poweramp1
4)Preamp to poweramp2
5)Preamp to poweramp3 (when i get round to adding another for triamping)

Looks like i need another four - better get saving up.

Plus, i was thinking of adding yet another amp so each bass driver gets its own amp instead of paralleling the two isobaric bass drivers. This will get expensive.
DIY FREE ZONE

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I've just read the collected information the NVA reviews thread. Thanks for the info Stu, a nice review overall.

It looks like I need to reappraise my TIS now that I am happy with my CDP. It currently has SSP mk2 connecting it to the amp which I am very happy with but in order to use the TIS some rearranging would be needed as it is shorter than the SSP mk2. I should have a few days off at the end of the week to give it a go.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880