AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Re: AoS

Unread post by Lindsayt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 am

"They" can say what they like. What about Zlatan Ibrahimovic? Huge ego and highly talented footballer.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 am

"They" can say what they like. What about Zlatan Ibrahimovic? Huge ego and highly talented footballer.
Yep, in reality I have found they seem to be unconnected, I have known very talented folk with both huge and almost no ego (different people of course).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Another example of the wrong / :Bllocks: / ignorant and damaging of the truth that goes on at AoS, people claiming to be experts and stating the OPPOSITE of reality. This twat is a constant exponent of it. In reply to a question about leaving amps on - again :roll:

struth
Tired Moderator

I'm Grant.

You shorten the life of components like caps by constant use plus it's potentially dangerous.

******************************************************************************************************************
Ok so lets look at reality and not some stupid AoS folk law. The stress associated with switch on and the accompanying current surge (sometimes shows as a pop through the speaker) is far more damaging and life shortening for transistors than leaving on in quasi. Capacitor also suffer switch on shock and constant on and off will deteriorate the life and reliability, plus if left off for a long time they will deform and have to be reformed. It is also little understood that a circuit has to settle, like us waking up in the morning and the better (more open) an amplifier is the more it will show this. Crap amps are crap on switch on and don't get better. So people who don't hear warm up need to buy better equipment.

Also the stupidity about danger. I would estimate out of 5 amp failures four will happen at switch on because of the stress, it is very rare for an amp to fail whilst running and playing music unless it is being overdriven.

How can this place call itself a hi-fi forum where more often that not not only wrong but opposite to right information is given. There should be a musical health warning attached to AoS forum by law. Wording = BEWARE you are reading arses!!!

EDIT - I should add that it is the opposite with valves they should be turned off as they deteriorate over use time and wear out, transistors don't.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm

In a valve amp you can also mitigate the surge into the caps by use of either valve rectifiers that slowly ramp up the high voltage or a conventional solid state bridge, followed by a valve diode that ramps up the high voltage. Either way, you protect the caps from switch-on surges.
Given all this, there is no point whatsoever in leaving a valve amp powered up all the time; you'll only wear out the valves prematurely as the Doc said.
BTE Designs modified Lenco L75 idler turntable, Rega R200 Tonearm, Goldring E3 MM cartridge, NVA Phono1 phono stage.
Mac-Mini music server with iTunes, AppleTV4 media streamer, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC,
NVA A20/P20, 25WPC stereo power amplifier/passive control unit,
own design, semi-omnidirectional, transmission line speakers- "The Flatback Banned".

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Now we are told by another *expert* that capacitor life is measured in hours so he turns off, does he think it is a clock ticking, what complete :Bllocks: again a little knowledge makes misunderstanding and creates another arse and arse statements. Capacitor life has to have a life figure published due to regulations but in real terms it is meaningless.

If I set up a decent quality capacitor (not hif-fi spoof ones) with a constant voltage within spec at room temp and left it on it would almost certainly be working within spec in 20 years. BUT if I included a circuit that switched the supply off every hour and on again a hour later that capacitor would probably fail within a year, and if not fail be well out of spec. I estimate switching on and off only when listen would half the life of the cap which should be well over 20 years normally. There are ways to mitigate some of this effect with a slow start circuit, but that increases line supply impedance, which means you will lose some music.

You takes your choice, but I just wish people who are eeediots with no knowledge would shut up, they just confuse everyone.

57charles
United States of America

Unread post by 57charles » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

To Dr Bunsen,
Surely if equipment is designed to be left on all the time then there would be no on/of switch and it's cheaper to make without on/off switch. My Yamaha Z9 (superb audiophile A/V amp) has an on/off switch and I make use of it.Do you think Yamaha know what they are talking about? They certainly don't mention keeping unit on all the time in instruction booklet. Why would Yamaha have an on/off switch if they think it's best to leave it on all the time. Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Does this post really require a polite answer. Surely we have grown beyond this point. Leaving an amp on doesn't mean it doesn't need an on off switch. For customers I trust to understand the realities of using NVA then I trust them with no on off switches. I.E. The Statement Range / Cubix Pro = no on off switch, I can do it as they are bespoke specials, but to meet the CE regs for UK and EU sales for production items should have one, so I put it on the back, so hopefully people forget about it..

If you seriously think quoting a marketing organisation like Yamaha to make me wrong is just plain daft, is this the right forum for you?

57charles
United States of America

Unread post by 57charles » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 am

Ah, Dr Bunsen, I didn't realise it was due to regs. Notwithstanding this, I do believe Yamaha knows a thing or two about music reproduction in general.....which would be confirmed after listening to my Z9 which is considered to be somewhat of an audio classic😉

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:07 am

And the point of the wink is. Is it supposed to show you have some special knowledge. I give up with people like you, don't bother addressing me I will not respond, unless you break the rules then you will be gone.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:09 am

Cisco have no power switches on most of their switches. Does this mean they are in breach of CE regs? Does it mean they know more about electronic longevity than Yamaha? Who cares?
If you want to keep your solid state amp on all the time, keep it on all the time.
If you want to turn it off between sessions, turn it off.
Do whatever makes you happiest.

Solid state amps and switches are not like candles that burn down over time if left continuously on.