PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
CN211276
Wales

Re: PFM

Unread post by CN211276 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 am

The big attraction of Bristol for me is the close location. Canjam seems quite interesting. If I am making a social trip to London in the summer I might time it to coincide. The photos show that the attendees are a lot younger that at hifi shows, as I would expect. Thanks for the heads up on this one Savvy.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2, NVA SSP mk2, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA BMU, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 am

Well here's more pfm :Bllocks: for us to have a laugh at, I find it all pretty vacuous :lol:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre ... od.208810/

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. Pioneer PL71, Denon DL103, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSP, SSC, LS6.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:32 am

The WasWam10th anniversary sticky is getting more entertaining. There is a post stating that he cannot find anywhere on the site to buy tickets and if there is it would be too difficult to find because the site is too hard to navigate. And the show is less than two months away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course there is a follow up post saying WasWam must not be put down. That means the truth cannot be told.
And northwest of Pegasus

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2, NVA SSP mk2, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA BMU, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:22 am

All sorted soon.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 pm

alfer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:22 am
All sorted soon.
They are leaving it late in the day to get things organised. Fitting that the venue is most noted for a disaster.
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 am

The Linn announcement thread is getting a bit heated. PFM attracts the brain washed zombie like flies to shit, there is no other forum which can compare in this respect except the Linn and Naim ones. They are throwing their toys out of the pram in earnest. :lol:

The bigL has made a valid point about the 3K digital Phono stage being detrimental to SQ because it introduces an extra unnecessary stage. This would seem to be the case to me. I see it as a gimmick to attract the super rich market they are targeting. No doubt some of the brain washed zombies will throw more money down the drain and"upgrade". :lol:
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 am

The Urika II carries out RIAA equalisation in the digital domain. Surely that means the sound is digitised before becoming analogue again! Must be detrimental to SQ. Bake Off against phono 2 required to prove how daft this is.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm

All of this week's posts have suddenly been removed from the WasWam 10th anniversary sticky. There was something quite recent on the lines of the two forums getting into bed with each other.
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Modern digital is inaudible to me, so doing the RIAA digitally isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing. Why the heck you'd need to bother to do this on such a medium is beyond me though, especially as a freshly set up LP12 is 'only' around Rega 6 level by today's standards I think (same model cartridge in both). May make a good 'gimik' for the LP12 fans though, although the phono stage is the least of their problems with that thing (a Spacedeck is still tons better even now, thirty years after I first did this comparison and less than two grand with an arm :shock: )
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Modern digital is inaudible to me, so doing the RIAA digitally isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing. Why the heck you'd need to bother to do this on such a medium is beyond me though, especially as a freshly set up LP12 is 'only' around Rega 6 level by today's standards I think (same model cartridge in both). May make a good 'gimik' for the LP12 fans though, although the phono stage is the least of their problems with that thing (a Spacedeck is still tons better even now, thirty years after I first did this comparison and less than two grand with an arm :shock: )
They will probably claim that digital RIAA is more accurate however the RIAA curve was devised in the days before digital audio so it should be possible to equalise correctly with discrete components. I can't remember the circuit but it isn't complicated. Why bother with A to D, then Equalisation then D to A when you can just equalise in the analogue domain?