PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Sovereign

Re: PFM

Unread post by Sovereign » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't know of a single forum that is not a complete mess behind the scenes. :roll:
At least this one is very straight forward and to the point.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 pm

It's also not full of idiots....Yet.
;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm

jammy395 wrote:It's also not full of idiots....Yet.
;)
Speak for your self, I am :teasing-tease:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Honesty at last from TonyL

"It's also worth noting that pfm is a music discussion forum, photo forum, record shop etc, i.e. the audio room really does not speak with a unified voice for the whole site, in fact to be bluntly honest it's the room that interests me the least!"

So why do any off you bother to try and post there, they don't want you! I will tell you why most post there, because they are industry and/or they have an axe to grind. Reason because of the size of the membership, but the pathetic part of it is they are largely talking to each other, trying to convince or sell to people who are trying to convince or sell to them - what a complete waste of bloody time :lol:

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Honesty at last from TonyL

"It's also worth noting that pfm is a music discussion forum, photo forum, record shop etc, i.e. the audio room really does not speak with a unified voice for the whole site, in fact to be bluntly honest it's the room that interests me the least!"

So why do any off you bother to try and post there, they don't want you! I will tell you why most post there, because they are industry and/or they have an axe to grind. Reason because of the size of the membership, but the pathetic part of it is they are largely talking to each other, trying to convince or sell to people who are trying to convince or sell to them - what a complete waste of bloody time :lol:
We get it Richard, you don't like pfm. For me, it's still the best audio forum by a long way. I've picked up on more new music, bought and sold more equipment, enjoyed the classic audio section, found out lots of camera tips, etc. I enjoy the threads where I might actually get something out of, and can contribute to. I enjoy the prose style of a few guys, dislike others; it's a forum with many differing viewpoints (and yes, shills).

I'm used to websites trying to sell me stuff, and I can filter out the crap pretty easy. For me, it has more positives than negatives, and I will continue to enjoy it.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; SME V/Ortofon Cadenza Blue Phono: Whest PS30R. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo. Digital: NVA TFS. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Theo wrote:.... For me, it's still the best audio forum by a long way.
Interesting!

I go onto the PFM audio section every now & then, but so few of the threads seem to be of interest that it's usually a long time before I go back there again. :lol:

Looking at your kit list, Theo, you're not really a Flat Earther ... although the Exposure amps look a bit suspicious :think: , so maybe you are at heart!
Do you have a deep and murky Flat Earth past? (Naim and Linn and all that stuff)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, Restek Challenger power amp section. Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DSP / pre /DAC, Pioneer DV-737 (CDT), Laptop (TIDAL hirez), Technics SL-150ii AT-1010 arm / VdH-Asak, Jasmine LP2.0ii 'stage, Lentek MC stepup. Wires - Epiphany Acoustics Atratus 3, Virtue Audio Nirvana, Nordost Magus.
Mains regen: AG1500

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I chronicle the hi-fi forums, it is what they do, I don't make it up, and I comment on it. Disagree or agree, I care not, put your opinion, brilliant. Just don't expect me to agree with you the same as I don't expect you to agree with me.

Just debate the subject not the poster, your post addresses me as well as the subject so is at least borderline ad hominem. I have had to reply by referring to you so we have borderline conflict - and it will stay that way borderline.

If you wish to make me the subject as opposed to what I say then start a thread with me as the subject, otherwise follow the rules or the ad hominem will be removed.

EDIT - Do you now see the follow up post from Jerry now refers to you personally, so per usual the disease starts to spread.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:38 pm

I have made the ad homienen mistake on several occasions [sorry again daz], its a nuanced definition but I do have to say its an absolutely brilliant rule .
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Ad hominem is what creates *all* the problems and conflict on the forums. You can tackle it one way which is as at Wigwam and then the in crowd are allowed to do it to everyone else, but the cannon fodder have to put up with it until they crawl their way up their collective arses to become accepted as one of the in crowd. Or you say what you like as long as it doesn't seem to be hurting TonyL record shop spam, as at PFM. Or the owner of the forum can say what he likes and insult and ban any member who doesn't worship him as he parades up and down his balcony as at AoS.

Well we are different, any ad hominem that is aimed at creating conflict is not allowed no matter by whom, including me, some obvious mutual gentle piss take and fun is allowed - the difference is, or should be, obvious.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:EDIT - Do you now see the follow up post from Jerry now refers to you personally, so per usual the disease starts to spread.
Oh dear. :(

I seem to have lost the plot (again).

I was just asking Theo about his audio tastes and history with reference to his enjoyment of PFM.
Is that not allowed? :shifty:
No attack on, or slight against, his person or tastes was intended.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, Restek Challenger power amp section. Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DSP / pre /DAC, Pioneer DV-737 (CDT), Laptop (TIDAL hirez), Technics SL-150ii AT-1010 arm / VdH-Asak, Jasmine LP2.0ii 'stage, Lentek MC stepup. Wires - Epiphany Acoustics Atratus 3, Virtue Audio Nirvana, Nordost Magus.
Mains regen: AG1500