AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:41 pm

If there are any Welder lovers (and Reid Malanfant) here please you are absolutely welcome to defend him, though reasoning and not just "he is a nice guy" would be useful.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I like Welder because he is what AOS needs a voice of dissent and difference , he as also made me laugh -deliberately- on several occasions. Marco , me and welder in a burning plane with two parachutes , you know who's getting the second :D

it matters not that i dont agree with all he says . what he says is usually thoughtful , he just reminds me of a man with one eye closed , he can only see 50% of the landscape . ;)
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

All forum objectivists are pretend or wanna-be designers. They think because they spout numbers and other objective criteria that the normal mortals on forums will worship them. Just as with the *reviewer* imitating subjectivists, both are based purely and simply on ego, BUT at least the subjective egotist gives you a reference point to work from. The objectivist gives you nothing, I remember in the bad old days many years ago visiting people (even some of my customers) where it was not the system they showed you first it was their test gear, especially if they owned an oscilloscope, with pride in their investment, what a complete waste of good music :snooty:

wallace
Great Britain

Unread post by wallace » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I really hate to say it,but my old Dad told me thirty years ago,;You don't need new speakers,you might as well just get an oscilloscope,and just look at that... :character-spongebobdance: I was a tad impressionable in those days.Now i just use my slightly waxy ears.Get well soon Daniel,before cabin fever set's in.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:33 pm

wallace wrote: .Get well soon Daniel,before cabin fever set's in.
Thanks Wallace and other well wishers ,
p.s you suggesting my posts betray the symptoms ? :D :D

Had the POP of today and it has apparently healed well, though it wont move. But as the occupational therapist said "its not supposed to bloody move yet so don't try" :shock: got on a light weight plastic cast, new technology which is soft and supple when heated, moulds to your arm and hardens when cold. Back to the coal face tomorrow so no cabin fever, not promising to mellow mind you :whistle:
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Latest quote from Welder :-

"What Hi Fi has done is make me more critical if anything and in my late twenties I got to the point that I just coulodn't stand listening to classical music on a Hi Fi any more and still cant which is a shame because I adore live classical but I just cant get my brain to fill in the missing bits on a Hi Fi."

Then I am afraid Mr Welder quite simply your system must be shite :angry-steamingears:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:33 am

Ah- Welder. yes, iirc I told him to piss off on AOS. :mrgreen:

He has a remarkably welder-centric perspective. Everyone else is wrong! He has no emotional reaction to music, is proud of the fact, and thinks anyone who does is missing the point. :lol: Wot a kompleat pillock! ... Although maybe he has mental health issues - perhaps he is autistic?

What spoils a lot of AOS threads for me, is that other people insist on responding to the idiot. Ignore him, chaps, and he might go away. :hand:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, Restek Challenger power amp section. Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DSP / pre /DAC, Pioneer DV-737 (CDT), Laptop (TIDAL hirez), Technics SL-150ii AT-1010 arm / VdH-Asak, Jasmine LP2.0ii 'stage, Lentek MC stepup. Wires - Epiphany Acoustics Atratus 3, Virtue Audio Nirvana, Nordost Magus.
Mains regen: AG1500

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:01 am

As the old saying goes...'Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:49 am

I don't find Welder anywhere near as annoying as some; there are others who make me cringe more. I don't necessarily agree with Marco's viewpoints either but I defend his (and Welder's) rights to say what they feel. I'm equally comfortable with Serge's stance on pfm/WW (though personally I could never be so absolutist). What makes me giggle is how worked up some people can become about viewpoints concerning hifi.

Easily the most vociferous forum room is the 'off topic' section in pfm: that can be feral at times...the Wam are pussycats in comparison.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; SME V/Ortofon Cadenza Blue Phono: Whest PS30R. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo. Digital: NVA TFS. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Theo wrote:I don't find Welder anywhere near as annoying as some; there are others who make me cringe more. I don't necessarily agree with Marco's viewpoints either but I defend his (and Welder's) rights to say what they feel. I'm equally comfortable with Serge's stance on pfm/WW (though personally I could never be so absolutist). What makes me giggle is how worked up some people can become about viewpoints concerning hifi.

Easily the most vociferous forum room is the 'off topic' section in pfm: that can be feral at times...the Wam are pussycats in comparison.
Theo you chose your gear by listening to it, you didn't measure it. That is all the point of this. What concerns me and others is that new customers to hi-fi are drawn down the measurement path, and specifications are everything and if they measure the same then they sound the same. This is such inane nonsense and idiocy that it needs *everyone* who knows better to challenge it. Welder is what I would call a three quarter objectivist, which for a highly subjective forum like AoS is like a boil on the end of its nose. With Serge he is 100% and beyond any sensible discussion.