AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Please note even though there is no mention allowed of me, of this forum and of NVA at AoS. We have no such rule, anyone can say what ever they like (and that is what they don't like) about Marco or any other AoS member good bad adoring or wanting to have their babies I couldn't give a toss as to motive. Also the forum can obviously be talked about, also all his little gang of £50-ers buying the privilege of spamming the members and creating shills, they are welcome subjects of you all especially if you manage to get some of it to compare nva to :twisted:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

The Fireybum and Bigboy scam team are getting up a head of steam again, having it seems recovered from the disaster that was the Uddersfield bake-off. Scam teams are such pathetic fun to watch. The spammer (owner of the company) normally starts the scam and the appointed shill joins in to reinforce it, so even if others are not joining in they keep it going between them. The Division 2 Football Conference phono stage cup play off in Wolvestown was one and now the power amps are being spammed. So far not as continuous as before Uddersfield, but building up momentum for our comment and piss take.

NVA is ready for another bake-off when ever you are :lol: :lol:

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Pleased to see the Naim good or overrated thread so refreshing compared to PFM trends

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:57 am

Ah the Naim thread is improving. The man who's word we eagerly await has joined in. Guess who
Ain't that the truth, bro (especially the bits in bold)! It never ceases to amaze me how so many folk need their choices 'validated'/approved by others before they're happy, rather than having the confidence and gumption to trust their OWN EARS, and stand by their choices regardless

Or get pissed off if the gear that they're using isn't as loved [eulogised and discussed on forums] by others as much as they feel it deserves!

Anyway, yes it was a good post from Adam, the sentiments behind which I entirely agree with. Naim, or Linn, for that matter, are not the 'big bad wolves' some folk think they are. I'll relate some of my own personal experiences later, as a previous (and happy) Naim owner for some six years, and of the company itself

followed by this veracity
Me neither. Like you, I go out of my way to own equipment that no-one else is likely to have, certainly modified the way mine has been. I've never been a sheep or one for following 'trends', much preferring instead to plough my own furrow. I'm a leader, not a follower

And as for 'caring' what others think of the gear I use, I care more about the contents of my last dump, than what some 'faceless Internet entity' thinks of my hi-fi!!

A weekend thank you for bringing a smile to my face. The laugh producing, malice free, OWN EARS O Wner. Where would we be without him? Rule less, and a lot more AoS members.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 am

You need to understand the Marco brain (or lack of it). When he says something doesn't bother him, it means it really pisses him off but he doesn't want to admit it. Also many of his comments are made to try and counter comment here, he is completely infatuated with us and what we say especially about him. You can see the little digs at us and especially me behind a lot of his statements as shown here. The more NVA is praised and he sees people wanting my opinion the more it winds him up.

His main problem is he is a wanna-be Doc but hasn't the knowledge, experience, or intelligence to do it, so just flails around with his ego.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Well, I attended the local dealer 'Show' put on at the Suffolk Show Ground (oh alright, Trinity Park) last month. The best rooms for music were the Rega room (cheapest system and I tried to go in open-minded) and the Levinson-JBL system on the other cost extreme and with a nice Primare/Revel stereo in the middle. All the rooms in the middle using Naim sounded crap frankly (and the Chord Electronics driven speakers weren't much better, sounding airless as usual), with a strange kind of one-level 'drone' going on - and that included the 'active?' silly-money ugly Kudos speakers. Maybe it was the environment - or my ears - but a session on some assorted Grado headphones was brilliant, confirming my ears weren't totally out to lunch that afternoon - and this surprised me - and the huge JBL's were just what I really wanted - I wish I could have heard the smaller ones with 12" main drivers...

So, for me anyway, Naim is more out-classed than ever and even the hideous looking PMC integrated at a mere £5,000 or so, was doing a grand job holding their sometimes wayward domesticated transmission lines at bay...

The above was brought into sharper focus when I happened to catch the current NVA-Towers system yesterday. It's over a year since I heard Cube 2's and this pair yesterday, AP50 driven via the cheapo DAC hodge-podge the Doc and I both enjoy, sounded really good in the way the JBL's (and even the Rega RX3's in fairness) did. No smear, no drone or bloat, just clean instrument timbres and 'timing' to die for if anyone relies on that aspect.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Have yet to hear a pair of Revels I have not liked, and great vfm considering they come from the USA. I enjoyed the Levinson/JBL dem at a recently attended show, playing Roger Waters. The Chord and Kudos rooms were crap, why all the fuss on the internet over Kudos?
My set-up: PT Too,Rega 250 AO mods, Lyra Helikon, NVA Phono 2 + Extra PS, Project CD Transport/Project LPSU, Calyx 192 dac, NVA P50, NVA A60, Cube 3's. Headphones Senn HD700s and NVA AP10H. SSP/SC interconnect and NVA LS5 speaker cable.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Regarding my post above. Any trad/'dinner'-jazz fans here? Not my main genre of music, but some recordings were/are made of a double bass unamplified and some other recordings have the bass player using a small speaker added on to beef up (boom-up) the fundamental bass notes - I've heard this live in the past, but not many domestic stereo's reproduce it well I remember in times past. Yesterday on Radio Paradise there were a good few jazz tracks playing and it was a doddle to hear how different double-basses were played and recorded and not clouding up the brass and keyboards for example...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:36 pm

antonio66 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:30 pm
Have yet to hear a pair of Revels I have not liked, and great vfm considering they come from the USA. I enjoyed the Levinson/JBL dem at a recently attended show, playing Roger Waters. The Chord and Kudos rooms were crap, why all the fuss on the internet over Kudos?
The JBL's (4367's I think) were playing Buddy Holly 'Everyday' when I entered the room and I stood there with tears in my eyes.. the Revels were a cheapo (for them) £1800 black tower - I forget the model and am too lazy to look them up - but they were clear on the few tracks I heard and with no drone or stodge, a contrast from the £4k RK speakers in the next large room which had this 'heaviness' again - Naim driven once again - and they were several feet out from any walls too...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 pm

"Indeed, and exactly my experience, too. You know what they say though, the bigger the ego, the smaller the talent.."

Marco talking about himself again :lol: :lol: