The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm
I don't know if the AC out of the unit is better when the toroid is not saturated, but I can think of several ways it is.
As you clearly have experience of this unit could you elaborate please ?

And : If you are saying the PS Audio P10 regenerator is poorly designed with a weak transformer and their claim of "In the process of regeneration any problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power and noise are eliminated." is untrue, then maybe I could buy into this ?
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:42 pm

No need I would have thought, I am sure Dave you are aware of the effect of a saturating power transformer. As I said, I don’t know (or give a toss) if the AC out of it is any different, or if it is, if it alters the sound of anything plugged into it. My point is the toroid at the front will hum if its saturated, and people don't like HiFi that hums.

Edit, after your edit. I am not saying its a weak transformer or not, I have no way of knowing, but I know its a toroid, and its unlikely to be gapped, so it will saturate. (whatever a "weak transformer" means).

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:44 pm

I am, but you have experience and it was your "but I can think of several ways it is" I was asking about.

And also my second belated paragraph ?

Edit, the discussion was only about sound quality not transformer hum and I questioned if a DC Blocker could help on the input of the PS Audio P10 regenerator ??
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm

This is all easy to measure, I did this years ago now

https://mcru.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _Paper.PDF

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Edit, the discussion was only about sound quality not transformer hum and I questioned if a DC Blocker could help on the input of the PS Audio P10 regenerator ??
If it was then I have no view having not done the comparison myself, so any opinion would just be conjecture.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks Nick, always best to have an expert on the subject around to comment.

The one thing people are missing is the state of our mains, the supply companies need to look into it. Sadly other uses don't show up audible problems when it is bad, and hi-fi people are a small number to make a fuss. I have complained on numerous occasions, in the end just told "you get supply within voltage parameters, so put up with it". BUT the real danger is what this does to motors in domestic appliances, especially when old with accumulations of fluff etc. It overheats motors even to the point they burn out, fluff ignited, and before you know it we have a result like Grenfell Tower. There should be more investigation of this and maybe a legal requirement to keep the mains undistorted when it comes into the house, maybe a large DC blocker built into the CU. BUT the supply companies are just hoping no one notices so they don't have to pay to sort out the problems.

Not only the cladding suppliers of Grenfell need suing but maybe also the electric supply company.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm
If it was, then I have no view having not done the comparison myself, so any opinion would just be conjecture.
Hi Nick, It still is, as this is the main thread of The Audio Standard Forum. I accept your view on this as above " I have no view "

If members would like to extend this discussion to transformers and DC Blockers generally, then someone start it in the appropriate area and I may be more forthcoming about that issue ? And in particular that white paper. Let me know ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Don't be daft, it is on topic and part of the problem so carry on. Or create the new thread yourself. The state of the mains is why a DC blocker is needed, very applicable to what we are discussing in MartinT's comments about it.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm firm on this and in this area I will only discuss the use of a DC Blocker on Martin T's PS Audio P10 regenerator. After I have spoken with my transformer manufacturer and PS Audio I might well start another thread.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Then you miss the point.