The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:00 pm
Ok, so all that means is that unlike a simple way of regenerating mains (convert mains into DC, generate pure sine wave, use high power amplifier to amplify pure sine wave to 230v), they use a more efficient method, create sine wave locked to incoming mains, convert mains into lower DC voltage, use smaller amplifier riding on the incoming mains (via transformer), amplifier uses as a input the difference between the "perfect" sine and the actual sine, output is added to output AC. For those old enough to remember Peter Walker, its called current dumping.

Generally doesn’t make any difference to the points being made, the ability to remove mains problems is now limited by the frequency response of the correcting amplifier, which is the point I think Geoff is referring to. But there is still a large transformer that passes all the power that the load requires, and it will still saturate if there is an asymmetric supply.
Thanks, I only skimmed what Martin sent and I thought it sounded familiar, there is a Quad 707 about 6' from where I am sitting and a couple of little brothers upstairs (a 405 and a 306). Seems to have taken quite a while for someone to adapt current dumping to power supplies.

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm

When you are all referring to a 10k regenerator is that supposed to me it costs £10,000?

If so you are all wrong it costs £5000 FFS :roll:

I am not an electrical engineer but AFAIK most DC comes from SMPS's in the household appliances, having work done on your villages electrical supply will make knack all difference to the DC present in your household mains.

Hopefully I am correct but feel free to correct me!
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm

A Power Inspired regenerator costs £500 and a NVA BMU costs £500, as I said !!!! 10 times the prices, that cannot be justified.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm
A Power Inspired regenerator costs £500 and a NVA BMU costs £500, as I said !!!! 10 times the prices, that cannot be justified.
Bling casework plus importer and dealer mark up. 100% each ?

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Martint is 10k rrp
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Completely feckin' bonkers from MartinT. How can't a man of supposed intelligence see how daft this is.

MartinT
Administrator

Post by MartinT on today at 2:46pm

There's multiple levels of protection in my system, and a very sensitive trip. I am not concerned at whether any of the fuses blow, they will do under the cable fault conditions they are designed to protect. They are the weakest link, by design. No insurance company is going to inspect a blown fuse.

I am more concerned at sound quality, life is too short as it is.

*****************************************************************************************

If I realised I had weak link I wouldn't throw stupid money at it I would remove it. He has just told us he doesn't need it, so he is doing the equivalent of tearing up £10 notes BONKERS.

Take the fuse out, replace it with a copper bar, or better take the holder out of circuit and hard wire.

I repeat my point which Martin has agreed with, no fuse no matter how daft and expensive can be better than no fuse at all. This nonsense is TAS to a T, a Martin T. 80% of the advice there is complete nonsense and bollocks, only a bit better than AoS where I estimate it is 90%.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 pm

AGAIN an example of how stupid and unskilled in audio or electronics MartinT is. He went to the expense of wiring a radial to his new hi-fi room, and then he uses plug tops with fuses = bonkers, then he spends hundreds of pounds replacing those fuse = ludicrous, he then tells everyone to try it = shilling, where he should be telling everyone to just get a radial circuit to the hi-fi, a lot cheaper than these daft ridiculously overpriced fuses. It would cost less!!!!! and then no fuses needed.

LEGALITY - NO PLUGTOP FUSE IS REQUIRED WITH A RADIAL CIRCUIT, I have said it so many times I think people are deaf. A brilliant opportunity to use 15amp BS546 or EU standard Schuko plugs OR TAKE THE FECKING FUSE OUT OF YOUR HORRIBLE BADLY DESIGNED SQUARE PIN BS1363 AND PUT IN A COPPER BAR OR SOLDER A WIRE ACROSS THE TERMINALS and if someone says to you that is illegal and the cable to the item will not be protected then they are ignorant knob heads who should just shut up or be ignored. THE ONLY reason this is required on RING CIRCUITS is because the ring can go over current. And then just about everyone puts 13 amp fuse in all plugs which totally defeats the object of them, apart from giving an excuse for slurping crooks to sell you stupidly overpriced hi-fi high end fuses. Note how many companies known for this sort of bullshit are joining in / jumping on the bandwagon.

I really do shudder at the stupidity in this industry. FFS of course these rip-off fuse are better, so what, all it shows is how bad fuses are, so don't throw money at them get rid of them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

If you have a radial circuit and wish to use UK 13amp plugs, or you establish an internal fuse in a Hi-Fi system is just belts and braces, then this is your CHEAP answer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Foil- ... 0281.m3567

Do not use on case fuses for Class1 products - this symbol on the back.

I do not recommend this for plug fuses used in a normal UK ring circuit BUT if you have a modern CU with modern sensitive trips you will find the fuses never blow, always the trip goes first, so for me it is belts and braces again. Take it on you own responsibility if you wish to copper foil wrap fuses in that situation.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Actually I'm thinking if you have a BMU or distribution block should only need one 13 amp fuse no matter what? I take it you wrap copper round the fuse case.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:34 pm

BTW I always provided plug leads with correctly rated fuses, I have to for CE regs and UK BS safety regs. What you do when you get it is up to you, foiling of fuses will not invalidate my warranty, as in NVA case they protect NOTHING!!