Audioflat Celebrations...!!!

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: Audioflat Celebrations...!!!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:11 am

Pardon :-?

slinger
Great Britain

Unread post by slinger » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:24 am

One can offend people without being homophobic, and I think that's probably the point here. I suspect that gay people (certainly the ones I know and have known) don't find being characterised as "arse bandits" by a total stranger hilarious in the slightest.
Amps - NVA P50, A30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 am

What is Homophobic, well I suppose arse bandits is a bit extreme, but really some people are just too twee, people are different. I have been called baldy, it makes me laugh, describe any of my physical characteristics and I will laugh with you, call me dishonest or a liar and you will seriously get me up you. That is the point we have a perfectly good legal system in this country and we do not need to set different standards to it.

Political correctness is distasteful.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:46 am

It would be very interesting to do a Poll as to who thinks homosexuality is normal and who thinks it is a perversion. Now I can see all your faces now, you see political correctness would bring all the tut tutting out. I wont do it because to be honest It would create too much fuss. For me the most distasteful thing is people trying to impose on others and both the discrimination AND positive discrimination that is going on, I personally hate both but only the discrimination is publicised.

From my personal point of view, it is not a natural way. You can look at the primate kingdom to see our genetics at work, it only happens occasionally in young males as a form of practice, and in no other mammals. So it is an aberration, nothing more, that has been accentuated and perpetuated in the UK by the British all male public school system to make young male first sexual experiences with other males. Most grow out of it. The problem at the moment is youth is starting to see it as cool, well hopefully that is just a temp trend but we will see. I am afraid it does disgust me to see it in public, maybe because of my age and generation I belong to, but what can I do but turn my back and walk away.

My point is we should not be afraid to talk about it, or express opinion.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 am

ArseHats wrote:I agree that people should not be exempt from scrutinty or criticism simply because they happen to have, as one of the millions of characteristics that makes up every unique human being, one or more of the "protected charactersitics" defined in UK law (e.g. being old, being a transsexual person, being married or in a civil partnership, being pregnant or having a child, being of a particular race or religion, having a disability, being gay, etc.,...). But, to characterise someone on the basis of a single characteristic, especially when done in an obviously perjorative or critical way is something quite different to being at libetry to criticise that person in spite of that single characteristic.
Run that by me again AH. :think: :lol:

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:35 am

Aresehats I agree . However in the context of comedy it is difficult to be multi dimensional.

Do you think little John complained to Robin Hood . There is more to me than being tall. ;)
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

ArseHats

Unread post by ArseHats » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:39 am

Daniel Quinn wrote:Aresehats I agree . However in the context of comedy it is difficult to be multi dimensional.

Do you think little John complained to Robin Hood . There is more to me than being tall. ;)
Probably not. Being physically large is often seen as an attractive asset for a man, not merely a characteristic. Perhaps Little John's name was an ongoing compliment of his physical stature.
More importantly, at least based on the dramatisations I've seen, the name given to Little John by his firends was in the context of his being a valued and included member of the Merry Men group. His name did not threaten his association with the Merry Men; indeed it indicated a valued status within it. Had his height instead been labelled and treated as an "abberation" a "perversion" or "not natural" by the Merry Men, this would have presented a different context entirely. A context in which I would imagine John would have felt very much less comfortable. Most likely he would have felt viliifed, excluded and outcast from the Merry Men; which to me seems the function of the concepts of "abberation", "perversion" and "not natural".

I like your linking of dimensionalilty with comedy. I hadn't thought about that before. Doing so now, I would add that personally, I find the funniness of comedy is often in proportion to how many dimensions it manages to embrace. One dimensional comedy is less likely to make me laugh. Though I do sometimes.
"One whos head is so far up ones own arse that they are wearing ones arse as a hat"

Art Vandelay

Unread post by Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It would be very interesting to do a Poll as to who thinks homosexuality is normal and who thinks it is a perversion. Now I can see all your faces now, you see political correctness would bring all the tut tutting out. I wont do it because to be honest It would create too much fuss. For me the most distasteful thing is people trying to impose on others and both the discrimination AND positive discrimination that is going on, I personally hate both but only the discrimination is publicised.

From my personal point of view, it is not a natural way. You can look at the primate kingdom to see our genetics at work, it only happens occasionally in young males as a form of practice, and in no other mammals. So it is an aberration, nothing more, that has been accentuated and perpetuated in the UK by the British all male public school system to make young male first sexual experiences with other males. Most grow out of it. The problem at the moment is youth is starting to see it as cool, well hopefully that is just a temp trend but we will see. I am afraid it does disgust me to see it in public, maybe because of my age and generation I belong to, but what can I do but turn my back and walk away.

My point is we should not be afraid to talk about it, or express opinion.
Doc - of course you are free not to like homosexuality, but your post implies that it is a lifestyle choice, like getting a tattoo. It is not - gay people are born gay. Hence to label it a "perversion" and "not a natural way" seems wrong. Are you also "disgusted" by people who are deaf, disabled or left-handed?

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm

The nature nurture debate in terms of homosexuality is far from settled.

A person's sexuality is however significantly socially determined.
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Of course not Art, I said it is probably my age and generation, but to see two men holding hands and kissing makes me feel sick and disgusts me. I can't help it, it happens, so it is my reality.

OK we get to the argument of nature or nurture. If it was nature it would not be growing phenominem, so it has to be nurture and societies greater acceptance. I am sure there is a gene that makes it natural in a SMALL number of people as there is with most things, but that means it is an aberration. Please understand I respect your opinion, my only problem is it being imposed on me and causing me discomfort and the positive discrimination being practiced by some organisation such as the BBC, creating almost a non gay no go ares in some departments.

The argument that is undeniable is that unless a man and women come together to exchange genetics there is no offspring, two men cannot do it, so it cannot be considered natural in natures or any other terms and if it became the norm then the human race would die out.