AVi bullshit

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 26868
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:09 pm

That is far too much for me to plough through. I have seen enough of him in action to go out of my way to find more. He is an arse - fullstop.

User avatar
_D_S_J_R_
Posts: 3689
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am
Location: The end of the road.
Wales

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:26 pm

DM10's don't use Class D amps from memory and the 5's weren't going to - the amps used needed a lot of work we're told.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 26868
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 pm

I think you are wrong.

User avatar
Lindsayt
Posts: 2376
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm
Marshall Islands

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 am

My understanding is that DM5's use Class D amps. DM10's use class A/B.

User avatar
Lindsayt
Posts: 2376
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm
Marshall Islands

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:49 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:That is far too much for me to plough through. I have seen enough of him in action to go out of my way to find more. He is an arse - fullstop.
Yes, ploughing through that lot would be tedious. You will find the same old marketing phrases repeated time and time again. When this marketing is challenged the general pattern is for it to be met with a repetition of the marketing, followed by changing the subject or a "No you're wrong, I'm right" type rhetoric, followed by ridicule or ad hominem personal insult.

AJ's posts from the first page of the first thread I linked to from 2008 set the AVI marketing stall out:
AJ wrote:Drummerman, I appreciate your very accurate assessment of the ADM9s and 9.1s but would emphasise the much of the difference you heard between the two was room acoustics. In the TV room there's a lot more middle and high frequency absorption taking place because there's more clutter, so the speakers sound mellower.

The new model is better because we've used experience to judge the market and re-designed to meet the requirement. The early ones had more gain (and distortion) so that they'd play loud enough with volume restricted iPods and other PMPs. It turns out most people prefer the computer, a Mac especially or a streaming device as a source.

We've discontinued the USB version because of lack of demand and because any Apple computer (probably PCs too but possibly not so good) has a 24/192 input if needed for recording old analogue material.

The biggest differences in hi fi are in loudspeakers and the rooms they are played in and the difference between ADM9.1s and any other speaker is substantial. Therefore it's not surprising that anyone considering them should be apprehensive lest, for some reason they cannot live with them.

The simplest explanation is that they are substantially less distorted than a conventional hi fi system with passive speakers so that you are getting much closer to the music than was possible before. The biggest and easiest difference to describe is the crossover. ADM9.1s have steeper and more accurate filters than is possible in passive speakers and so are virtually inaudible. Passive crossovers are surprisingly intrusive as are many active ones, but we were lucky in getting an opportunity to have special drive units designed for us (provided we bought a huge quantity) by the company that designed the ones for Bentley. The ex chief engineer of Scanspeak is working there now I'm told. This has enabled us to do more than was possible with older Active designs.

Can you live with them?

Distortion almost always confuses the sound and harshens it and although astonishingly clear ADM9.1s do the opposite because they have less distortion than older and less advanced designs. I think the testimonials on our website and the many others that I receive almost daily are proof of an astonishingly high level of customer satisfaction and I do not doubt that these speakers are the future of high quality sound reproduction.

I hope you buy a pair Drummerman and that you report back to this Forum either way. I'm betting you'll be as happy as a dog with additional appendages.

I hope this answers all the questions and avoids a ban for advertising!

Ash
AJ wrote:I probably should have explained that in an Active loudspeaker the Amplifiers are connected directly to the drive units so that control is considerably better. A loudspeaker is also an electrical generator, so if you push the cone backwards and forwards a voltage will appear at the speaker terminals. If the terminals are joined together (shorted) the load applied to the generator is much greater and the cone is far more difficult to move.
Passive crossover components are quite resistive and reduce this affect so that the cone can "overshoot and overhang", increasing perceived bass and blurring the mid band as Drummerman has described.

It's important to understand that our hearing increases in sensitivity with frequency and its accepted that our ears are most sensitive from about 300 Hz- 6 kHz, which means this is the most important part of the listening experience. However, because we are used to old soft and wooly sounds, we inevitably worry when they are gone. We always warn people of this and about 30% buy the Subwoofer. The important thing is that I believe that we may have 100% customer satisfaction and I don't think many would claim that.

Believe it or not, there is absolutely no reduction in measured bass because what you get from passive system is time related distortion rather than more volume. Once you adjust you find that there is more detail and more punch to it, that's all.

I'm sorry to keep on but there's an awful lot of technology in ADM9.1s and it takes some thinking about.

Ash

User avatar
zebbo
Posts: 1400
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 am
Location: As close to France as you can get.
Great Britain

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by zebbo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:55 am

"I'm sorry to keep on but there's an awful lot of technology in ADM9.1s and it takes some thinking about."

So is this bloke trying to say that you have to think about the technology inside the speaker before you make a decision and not just listen to it ?? :-?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME V / Benz Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA P90sa, NVA A80s & A60, LS6, NVA Cube 1s. (Oh and a Pioneer BDP LX70A when I just want some background music!)

Geoff.R.G
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:46 pm
Location: Denham UK
Great Britain

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Class D shouldn't get hot, it is one of its production assets.
Being Behringer it is probably the PSU then, most of their stuff seems to run hot.

User avatar
terrybooth
Posts: 3707
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by terrybooth » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:05 pm

zebbo wrote:"I'm sorry to keep on but there's an awful lot of technology in ADM9.1s and it takes some thinking about."

So is this bloke trying to say that you have to think about the technology inside the speaker before you make a decision and not just listen to it ?? :-?
As the old saying from the garment trade goes, 'Never mind the quality, feel the width'.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro two-up

jammy395

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by jammy395 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:39 pm

http://hddaudio.net/bb/viewtopic.php?pid=249794#p249794

Thought I had better post it before im banned. :guiness;

Or better still...before the post vanishes. :whistle:

jammy395

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by jammy395 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Obviously the truth hurts........ My post has mysteriously Vanished. :lol:

Post Reply