Audio Talk

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
CN211276
Wales

Re: Audio Talk

Unread post by CN211276 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:54 am

I have just joined and am awaiting activation.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/MCRU PS, Chord Mojo, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2, NVA SSP mk2, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA BMU, Grado SR 325e headphones.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:They operate like a cosy little bunch of mates who just reinforce each others opinions and that has created a false self satisfied consensus, there are differences but are minor and not encouraged. Basically they need a bloody good kick up the arse to get them out of their comfort zone. I am not talking about disruption, but by just expressing YOUR experience and opinions hopefully we will help in opening some minds.

I think Nick wants this, he realises his forum has stagnated, it was far more active in the past and has now lost its mojo. So any members with spare forum time join, don't disrupt they had enough of that with Jammy, just help them find their mojo again. Of all the forums out there I think this one has the virtue and potential to be an honest benefit to the industry to counter what is happening at the Big Three (WW,PFM,AoS).
Totally agree have enjoyed the speaker thread over the last week or so they seem a decent bunch but it seems to be aimed at DIY boffin types so that maybe keeps it a small forum.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:29 am

Agree, but that is needed as well. In the history of this industry new companies and new designs have emerged from people like this, DIY bodgers. Leak, Quad, Rogers, et al. We need some more of that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am

I think I have fried Moose's brain :oops:

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Agree that they seem a decent bunch and I have not been jumped on by flat earthers or nutters, or had posts removed (PFM, AOS), or been banned after a few days (SpamWam). Although DIY is not my scene, there is a lot of interest. It appears the forum was a lot more lively in the past than now.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/MCRU PS, Chord Mojo, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2, NVA SSP mk2, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA BMU, Grado SR 325e headphones.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:31 pm

CN211276 wrote:Agree that they seem a decent bunch and I have not been jumped on by flat earthers or nutters, or had posts removed (PFM, AOS), or been banned after a few days (SpamWam). Although DIY is not my scene, there is a lot of interest. It appears the forum was a lot more lively in the past than now.
There was a bit more going on in terms of building stuff, but not hugely busy. Doesn’t need to be.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 pm

CN211276 wrote:Agree that they seem a decent bunch and I have not been jumped on by flat earthers or nutters, or had posts removed (PFM, AOS), or been banned after a few days (SpamWam). Although DIY is not my scene, there is a lot of interest. It appears the forum was a lot more lively in the past than now.
That's the nature of hi-fi forums. Once you've dumped the contents of your brains several times it's natural to start running out of things that you want to say.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Why don't I run out :think:

:lol:

shanewhite
Ireland

Unread post by shanewhite » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:47 am

Morning all, and happy Easter. In the spirit of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" I've duly registered here, but had to use my full name rather than just Shane as on A-T and occasionally AoS & WD. I don't frequent any other forums much, but A-T has been a favourite haunt for the last ten years, and I'm very fond of it. As you'll have gathered, there's a fairly small core of regular contributors, which means that as time goes by many have become familiar characters and genuine friends, so you can imagine that this year so far has been, shall we say, interesting. I was vaguely aware that the doc and Phil, AKA Noddy hereabouts, had had a few shenanigans on AoS, but I wasn't expecting WW3 to break out!
When the Doc, Jammy and that Swedish goon joined at the same time in their unique styles, it looked like a concerted effort to trash A-T completely, which struck me as a huge shame, so I was I think quite vocal in trying to defend the status. quo. It was as if a small cosy club had suddenly been invaded by a bunch of rowdy foul mouthed yobs, and I genuinely feared that something precious would be lost. I want to point out that it wasn't the ideas (doc mods etc) that worried me, more the abusive tone and lack of respect for other opinions. I would have been reassured if I'd known that similar thoughts were being expressed here.

Now the dust has settled a bit, Jammy has the unique distinction of being de-activated and the Swedish goon ( forgotten his name) seems to have lost interest, things are in a very interesting state over there. There's still a lot of ruffled feathers, not to mention moose-horns, but the forum is busier than it has been for years, a lot of people are re-evaluating what it means to them and being reminded what a special and valuable place it is, and why they belong to it, so I think you can consider the arse well and truly kicked.

Three months ago all I wanted was for Nick to ban the insurgents. Fortunately, as ever, his wisdom prevailed, and the forum is a better livelier place than it was. I can't pretend I don't still cringe at the doc's abrasive style from time to time, and I wish Phil would turn a blind eye occasionally, but remember this is the same Phil who has frequently donated components to projects of mine unasked, and is unfailingly helpful to all.

The last thing I expected was to have John Lodge's awful poetry quoted at me! Or was it Mike Pinder's?
Heybrook TT2 (original steel chassis version)
Mission 774
Denon DL103
Vintage Partridge/BBC SUTs
EMO Systems E235 phono preamp
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
WAD KEL84
A&R Arcam Alpha CD
Mission 782
Projects:
Vestax/Heybrook hybrid turntable
Bitsa unipivot tonearm with Acutex M320 III STR cartridge.
Re-housed WAD Phono 2 with Nick Gorham design shunt PSU.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:27 am

the swedish goon is nothing to do with H/S
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS