Avforums

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Simon Hickie
Great Britain

Re: Avforums

Unread post by Simon Hickie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:06 pm

I must confess to not understanding andy1249's point about 'sound force'. FWIW, the table further down the Wikipedia link he mentioned suggests a rock concert or chainsaw generates an SPL 110db for a sound power of 0.1W.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Simon Hickie wrote:suggests a rock concert or chainsaw generates an SPL 110db for a sound power of 0.1W
Which only goes to show how inefficient loudspeakers really are ?
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:16 am

Is Finkaudio another version of RFC? Someone who thinks they know all about speaker design that produces mediocre speakers?
https://www.avforums.com/threads/no-imp ... 742/page-4

The thing is, I can't even challenge him and ask him to nominate a modern speaker that he's helped to design so that I can put it to the test via a bake-off, as he'd hide behind his "That's confidential, as we're a consulting company" defense:
http://www.fink-audio.net/?page_id=8

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:03 am

I think the difference is, that in my professional opinion, Fink are real and have the pedigree and test equipment.
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Companies like B&W have a reputation and plenty of test equipment and yet every modern B&W speaker I've heard has offered woeful sound quality for the asking prices. But at least B&W R&D engineers don't, as far as I know, go on forums with bullshit about how good their latest speakers are, thanks to their test equipment and CAD systems.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:55 am

I do agree that some modern loudspeakers offer poor value for money, but in my opinion they always have. My JBL L150's I still have that I bought new in 1980 at a cost of £1,000, in today's money that would be about £4,700 but in fact would probably cost £20,000 today. So you could say in this case, the value today is very poor.

However a house bought for £24K in 1980 would be worth £250K+ today.

But then, electronics seem to be better value now ?

I personally know two high end loudspeaker manufacturers, and they are not overtly wealthy, the days of every HiFi dealer, in every town, stocking and selling multiple products has gone.

I remember about 5 years ago unpacking some brand new £8K loudspeakers and getting them up-side-down, I could see right into them and could not believe how shoddy they were. On the other hand I have seen inside others, not main stream however, and you get way more.

Funny old world ?

Dave

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 am

Lindsayt wrote:Is Finkaudio another version of RFC? Someone who thinks they know all about speaker design that produces mediocre speakers?
https://www.avforums.com/threads/no-imp ... 742/page-4

The thing is, I can't even challenge him and ask him to nominate a modern speaker that he's helped to design so that I can put it to the test via a bake-off, as he'd hide behind his "That's confidential, as we're a consulting company" defense:
http://www.fink-audio.net/?page_id=8
Good link like the topic discussed but I don't use AV Forums very often as I lost interest in surround sound.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 am

I remember about 5 years ago unpacking some brand new £8K loudspeakers and getting them up-side-down, I could see right into them and could not believe how shoddy they were. On the other hand I have seen inside others, not main stream however, and you get way more.

Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave can you recommend any good brands that give way more.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am

Frasernash wrote:Hi Dave can you recommend any good brands that give way more.
Yes I can, but not here. email me directly with your budget and details of your current system and what you want to achieve please.

Regards

Dave

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 am

Dave Cawley wrote:I do agree that some modern loudspeakers offer poor value for money, but in my opinion they always have. My JBL L150's I still have that I bought new in 1980 at a cost of £1,000, in today's money that would be about £4,700 but in fact would probably cost £20,000 today. So you could say in this case, the value today is very poor.

However a house bought for £24K in 1980 would be worth £250K+ today.

But then, electronics seem to be better value now ?

I personally know two high end loudspeaker manufacturers, and they are not overtly wealthy, the days of every HiFi dealer, in every town, stocking and selling multiple products has gone.

Funny old world ?

Dave
House price inflation is a direct result of economic growth being achieved through debt leveraging . It is ridiculous to compare hifi prices increases with Houses to suggest they are reasonable . Additionally , if I shell out 250k for a house in Preston , what I get will be pretty much the same . Lydnseys point was the prices were ridiculous in the context of what you can get from a substantially smaller amount .
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS