Audioflat

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Alfi
Wales

Audioflat

Unread post by Alfi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Looks like the YAWNER doesn't agree with Doc mods...

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... 9&start=10

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12 , Sole VIII sub-chassis with "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. PL71 & Denon DL301 II, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSC's, LS6.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: Audioflat

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Do you seriously expect that arse to understand anything I am doing :lol: from that last reply - not!

The problem is people look at doc mods in isolation.

1/ remove wadding
2/ increase mass and stiffness of cabinet
3/ remove crossover apart from tweeter protection
4/ dope drivers to control in band response

Each of them individually have benefits but will also show up problems, they are designed to work together to do the job.

Helen Bach
Cape Verde

Unread post by Helen Bach » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm

yes, nothing in isolation, at last, agreement. But those suggestions are not the only fix (if it does, indeed fix). My suggestions would be:

1) add wadding, but choose carefully which type.
2) add damping to cabinet walls, in the form of an extra layer (or more) to increase damping, but not much more mass or bending stiffness.
3) remove tweeter
4) consider doping, but not a universal panacea, as it increases mass and bending stiffness!

Simon Hickie
Great Britain

Unread post by Simon Hickie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Helen Bach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm

3) remove tweeter
:o :o :o
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Helen Bach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm
yes, nothing in isolation, at last, agreement. But those suggestions are not the only fix (if it does, indeed fix). My suggestions would be:

2) add damping to cabinet walls, in the form of an extra layer (or more) to increase damping, but not much more mass or bending stiffness.
3) remove tweeter
4) consider doping, but not a universal panacea, as it increases mass and bending stiffness!
Why? Wadding is essentially a spring so all it does is to delay the release of energy, it has little or no damping effect, if it was doing a good job of damping it would get warm.
An extra layer of what? The cabinet needs to be stiffer so you can add more material, wood, steel etc. to do this but it will inevitably increase the mass but also it will change the resonant frequency of the cabinet and deaden any ringing. I haven't bought any speakers for many years but I do know that very few are made of hard wood most are only veneered so what is underneath could be chipboard, MDF or plywood. Of these only top quality plywood would be stiff enough.
3) remove tweeter
Pardon?
I gather that this is precisely the idea! I haven't tried it. I can tell you that simplifying the crossover works, a single capacitor to the tweeter is the ultimate in simplicity.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Someone who thinks that removing the tweeter will improve the sound must have a severe hearing problem.
NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube3
Digits: RPi 2B / Allo DigiOne / Volumio / Tomanek ULPS / AQ Jitterbug
CD Transport: Cambridge CXC DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette
Cans: AudioQuest NightHawk Digital i/c: Oxypure OCC coax & optical

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Fretless wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm
Someone who thinks that removing the tweeter will improve the sound must have a severe hearing problem.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love fluffy bunnies

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 am

He must be fitting a different tweeter - surely and not hope to run the mid/bass full range?

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12 , Sole VIII sub-chassis with "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. PL71 & Denon DL301 II, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSC's, LS6.