1. No ad-hominem2
2. No spamming or shilling
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: SME IV

Unread post by Classicrock » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

antonio66 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am
Classicrock - Zebbo does say he had the arm rewired with VDH at Audio Origami, although it would be interesting if Zebbo gave us his thoughts on the improvement his SME V brings to the party. :grin:
:epopc:
I was wondering why he had copper wire when SME are now doing them with vdh silver/copper hybrid ? You can get SME to do the job and likely everything will be checked and brought up to current spec for little to no additional cost plus SME warranty (which is 6 years if anyone has acquired a recent example).

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Maybe Zebbo will answer your question Classicrock.
My set-up: PT Too,Rega 250 AO mods, Lyra Helikon, NVA Phono 2 + Extra PS, Project CD Transport/Project LPSU, Calyx 192 dac, NVA P50, NVA A60, Cube 3's. Headphones Senn HD700s and NVA AP10H. SSP/SC interconnect and NVA LS5 speaker cable.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm

antonio66 wrote:
Classicrock - Zebbo does say he had the arm rewired with VDH at Audio Origami, although it would be interesting if Zebbo gave us his thoughts on the improvement his SME V brings to the party. :grin:
The totally honest answer is: Not a huge amount! In fact really subtle. I feel there is a wee bit more space and weight but the differences are small enough to be me hearing what I want to hear. The bottom line is it's an SME V and it's black so it looks fab on the Garrard! Some extended listening needs to be done. :grin:
Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME IV / cart under review, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA P90sa, NVA A80s & A60, LS6, NVA Cube 1s. (Oh and a Pioneer BDP LX70A when I just want some background music!)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Classicrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am
antonio66 wrote:
I was wondering why he had copper wire when SME are now doing them with vdh silver/copper hybrid ? You can get SME to do the job and likely everything will be checked and brought up to current spec for little to no additional cost plus SME warranty (which is 6 years if anyone has acquired a recent example).
It is the new copper/silver hybrid wire - VDH mss-7. I need to make that clear in all my ads.
Johnnie knows his stuff with arms I think and he says it's A1 working condition. I'm sure SME would have charged a lot more than Johnnie for the job.
I did call SME when I was trying to sort out the headshell paint. I asked them if they could spray it in for me? They said no. Ok, can you give me the RAL code for the colour so I can match it? They said no. Their only solution was to sell me a new arm wand, yeah right, I could probably buy a cheap arm for what that would have cost me!
Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME IV / cart under review, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA P90sa, NVA A80s & A60, LS6, NVA Cube 1s. (Oh and a Pioneer BDP LX70A when I just want some background music!)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 am

zebbo wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm
Classicrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am
antonio66 wrote:
It is the new copper/silver hybrid wire - VDH mss-7. I need to make that clear in all my ads.
Johnnie knows his stuff with arms I think and he says it's A1 working condition. I'm sure SME would have charged a lot more than Johnnie for the job.
I did call SME when I was trying to sort out the headshell paint. I asked them if they could spray it in for me? They said no. Ok, can you give me the RAL code for the colour so I can match it? They said no. Their only solution was to sell me a new arm wand, yeah right, I could probably buy a cheap arm for what that would have cost me!
That's a strange response from SME. I know they will refurbish arms and respray them. I hope the new regime hasn't changed this. Perhaps you spoke to the wrong person or someone new. They were backlogged with work earlier this year due to spike in orders pre price rise. I expect if you were the original buyer you might have got a different answer.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am

Original or 2nd hand buyer should not make any difference. If I were in the market for your arm Zebbo, the finish on your headshell would not put me off.
My set-up: PT Too,Rega 250 AO mods, Lyra Helikon, NVA Phono 2 + Extra PS, Project CD Transport/Project LPSU, Calyx 192 dac, NVA P50, NVA A60, Cube 3's. Headphones Senn HD700s and NVA AP10H. SSP/SC interconnect and NVA LS5 speaker cable.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm

To be honest I can't see much wrong with the headshell from the photos. I'm guessing respraying headshells is too small a job or difficult to match. I'm sure they will do a complete repaint and refurb for a price but that arm does not need it.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes, the bare metal is very close in colour to the paint. I was very careful to keep nice sharp edges where the paint finishes, it looks almost factory.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 pm

SOLD. stp