SSC 70cm order

As an alternative to ebay place orders here and pay either by paypal or bank transfer or cheque. When shipped and received the thread will be closed.
Quarknosis

SSC 70cm order

Unread post by Quarknosis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi Richard,

I'd like to order a set of SSC at 70cm please.
NVA AP70sa - LS6 - Doc Mod JPW P1 - Lenco/Jelco/Denon DL110 - Cocktail Audio X30 > Rega DAC. TIS & SSC

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: SSC 70cm order

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Okay dokay, payment via paypal gift to my email address please. AND review here when you get it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Hope the AP20 is doing the job properly now. Did you still want to borrow the Phono 1 on loan? If so, it might still be possible to get it out on Monday to you as things will be a little topsy turvey for a short while thereafter with other 'stuff' going on.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:05 am

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Hope the AP20 is doing the job properly now. Did you still want to borrow the Phono 1 on loan? If so, it might still be possible to get it out on Monday to you as things will be a little topsy turvey for a short while thereafter with other 'stuff' going on.
The AP20 is operating well and sounding great Dave, thanks. The only issue that I have now is volume on the left channel coming a touch later than the right, so setting volume for low level listening is a bit more awkward than expected. Once set to the point where the left channel is passing the signal the AP20 gives the only respectable listening experience that I have ever heard at low volumes. All other amps that I have heard seem to lose the ability to give any pleasure the volume control set low, whereas the NVA seems to provide the same information as normal listening levels, just at a lower volume. It's got me wondering if the higher pre/amps have better volume pots or if I would need to go for a stepped attenuator to get improved accuracy at lower levels.

I still want to borrow the Phono 1 but I will wait a few weeks. I've got a few things happening in the next month or so which mean that getting time to listen to it will be limited. I want to get a handle on the AP20 and add to my earlier thread updated anyway before I try another change. I'll post in the loan thread when I'm ready.
NVA AP70sa - LS6 - Doc Mod JPW P1 - Lenco/Jelco/Denon DL110 - Cocktail Audio X30 > Rega DAC. TIS & SSC

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:50 am

It is a problem with twin pots and printing resistive track. The pots we use are rated at 1% tracking across the pot track *except the first 5% of travel*. I am afraid the only way around it is to upgrade to stepped attenuators.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:26 pm

After some gentle arguments here, I did try the cheap stepped attenuator as used by Tisbury. It solved the tracking issue at the very bottom of the control travel, but the Doc was right, I didn't think the sound 'quite' as good at ANY level. I just get used to tweaking the control each way to get the channel balance at the lowest settings, which is a small price to pay I think for the sound quality on offer - in my opinion of course.

Bearing in mind your comments, my suggestion is to see if you can put up with the control as-is and consider one of the bigger pre-power amps/integrateds later on, taking advantage of the trade-up scheme, specifying it with the stepped attenuator from the off. As I think I said before, the bigger models trade nothing at low volumes for the extra headroom.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:16 pm

The other alternative is the standard P90, as that with two pots you always adjust by ear, as it functions as a balance.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:55 pm

I probably used the wrong word earlier when I said issue. As with most things there are compromises to be made and with the L/R difference easily falling within the first 5% of travel it is something I can live with for now. I have been able to fine adjust to get both channels working at low enough volume to enjoy listening while not disturbing the rest of the family.

With the next pre/amp I think I'd be more likely to go the stepped attenuator route than twin VCs but it's good to know that there are a couple of options.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi Richard,

payment just sent. Sorry for the delay I was just waiting for funds to clear into my account.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi Richard,

I know your holiday will have delayed these cables. Are they anywhere near being made yet?