Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
pgarrish
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by pgarrish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi

Im Paul, longtime Wammer, part time AoSer and infrequent pinkfisher. Have got bored with the Wam and AoS .... Well, I'm here now!
I run a small hodgepodge of kit, main source is a Chromecast audio but i have a teac t1 and rega planar 2. Digital goes through a teac t1 DAC and all go into a rotel rc850. Then it's either an HH S500D or out the tapeloop, through a DACT passive and into a pair of Mullard 5 -20 mono blocks into Tannoy Cheviots.

I have a squeezebox touch but since iOS 11 won't run the Logitech app I've started to use Plex to feed the Chromecast. All sounds very nice and the convenience means I play more music - which must be the main thing!

I host the odd bake off (I live near Preston) so I hope to meet some of you soonish

Quick q - can I use Tapatalk or similar here?
Rega Planar / Teac T1 / Chromecast Audio - Teac TD1 DAC - Rotel RC850 - HHS500D or DACT passive - Mullard 5-20 Monos - Tannoy Cheviots + Wharfedale sub

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Welcome Paul, I still post occasionally on pfm (jy3), and can understand your boredom with the other 2. The Doc will be pleased a new member hosts the odd bake-off.
My set-up: PT Too,Rega 250 AO mods, Lyra Helikon, NVA Phono 2 + Extra PS, Project CD Transport/Project LPSU, Calyx 192 dac, NVA P50, NVA A60, Cube 3's. Headphones Senn HD700s and NVA AP10H. SSP/SC interconnect and NVA LS5 speaker cable.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Preston is DQ (Daniel Quinn) land, PM him.

Bake-offs - yes please. I just wish there were more down souf, they seem to have become a midland and norf thing. If I try = silence (see Audio Talk).

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello peeps.

David Brook hi-fi obsessive for over 40 years, dealer and general normal bloke with wife and 2 kids. Own loads of turntables too many to mention, favourite is Garrard 401, pride and joy is a modified Studer B67 R2R but the tapes are just too b..y expensive to buy!

Met RD at a recent bake off I organized in my shop, decent bloke and maker of superb sounding phono stages, nuff sed.
Garrard 401 Slate Plinth | SME 12" Arm | NWA DH3 Cart | MFA Ref Phono Amp | MF Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Bake-offs - yes please. I just wish there were more down souf, they seem to have become a midland and norf thing. If I try = silence (see Audio Talk).
Next one in Huddersfield in 2-3 weeks and please make sure you book a hotel room BEFORE turning up chief! :grin:
Garrard 401 Slate Plinth | SME 12" Arm | NWA DH3 Cart | MFA Ref Phono Amp | MF Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 am

Welcome David, hope you enjoy the forum.
My set-up: PT Too,Rega 250 AO mods, Lyra Helikon, NVA Phono 2 + Extra PS, Project CD Transport/Project LPSU, Calyx 192 dac, NVA P50, NVA A60, Cube 3's. Headphones Senn HD700s and NVA AP10H. SSP/SC interconnect and NVA LS5 speaker cable.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome David. Looking forward to my next visit to the People's Republic of Uddersfield...
"And what I call pleasure you may call pain...I’m talking five-day Tests"

NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

David Brook wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Next one in Huddersfield in 2-3 weeks and please make sure you book a hotel room BEFORE turning up chief! :grin:
You have PM.

William, it was really nothing
Great Britain

Unread post by William, it was really nothing » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi, I'm Bill.

I'm a recent empty nester and looking to get back into "sensible" hifi.

I remember a colleague having some NVA kit years ago and being impressed by it. I was surprised to find whilst perusing ebay that it was still being made some 20 years on.

I followed the links from eBay to this site, and have lurked for a few weeks to get a feel for the place.

I'll be up front and admit, that as a newbie to hifi fora, I'm fairly surprised at the antagonism there is between the various sites ref the smaller manufacturers, but I suppose these days it's a small market and there's bound to be some fun and games.

Anyway, I want to build a system based on my only bit of kit I have left from my student days, a Technics SL150 with a SME 3009 arm. No cartridge at the moment and open to suggestions.

I'd prefer small footprint amps etc, and I have been offered a Pioneer Rt 909 reel to reel, so I'd need a tape loop.

Cheers,

Bill.

Edit:

Sorry, I should have added that I'll need a CD player too. Over the last 20 years or so, I've had a succession of Aiwa and Sony mini systems due to domestic convenience, but now all the offspring are off to university, I can indulge in separate components again.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 am

Welcome to the home of sensible hifi Bill. Your off to a good start with the Technics tt so why not start a thread on your queries.