Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
pgarrish
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by pgarrish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi

Im Paul, longtime Wammer, part time AoSer and infrequent pinkfisher. Have got bored with the Wam and AoS .... Well, I'm here now!
I run a small hodgepodge of kit, main source is a Chromecast audio but i have a teac t1 and rega planar 2. Digital goes through a teac t1 DAC and all go into a rotel rc850. Then it's either an HH S500D or out the tapeloop, through a DACT passive and into a pair of Mullard 5 -20 mono blocks into Tannoy Cheviots.

I have a squeezebox touch but since iOS 11 won't run the Logitech app I've started to use Plex to feed the Chromecast. All sounds very nice and the convenience means I play more music - which must be the main thing!

I host the odd bake off (I live near Preston) so I hope to meet some of you soonish

Quick q - can I use Tapatalk or similar here?
Rega Planar / Teac T1 / Chromecast Audio - Teac TD1 DAC - Rotel RC850 - HHS500D or DACT passive - Mullard 5-20 Monos - Tannoy Cheviots + Wharfedale sub

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Welcome Paul, I still post occasionally on pfm (jy3), and can understand your boredom with the other 2. The Doc will be pleased a new member hosts the odd bake-off.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Preston is DQ (Daniel Quinn) land, PM him.

Bake-offs - yes please. I just wish there were more down souf, they seem to have become a midland and norf thing. If I try = silence (see Audio Talk).

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello peeps.

David Brook hi-fi obsessive for over 40 years, dealer and general normal bloke with wife and 2 kids. Own loads of turntables too many to mention, favourite is Garrard 401, pride and joy is a modified Studer B67 R2R but the tapes are just too b..y expensive to buy!

Met RD at a recent bake off I organized in my shop, decent bloke and maker of superb sounding phono stages, nuff sed.
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Bake-offs - yes please. I just wish there were more down souf, they seem to have become a midland and norf thing. If I try = silence (see Audio Talk).
Next one in Huddersfield in 2-3 weeks and please make sure you book a hotel room BEFORE turning up chief! :grin:
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 am

Welcome David, hope you enjoy the forum.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome David. Looking forward to my next visit to the People's Republic of Uddersfield...
"I can find my way home from Sierra Leone, but I'm lost without an inside pocket"

NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

David Brook wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Next one in Huddersfield in 2-3 weeks and please make sure you book a hotel room BEFORE turning up chief! :grin:
You have PM.

William, it was really nothing
Great Britain

Unread post by William, it was really nothing » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi, I'm Bill.

I'm a recent empty nester and looking to get back into "sensible" hifi.

I remember a colleague having some NVA kit years ago and being impressed by it. I was surprised to find whilst perusing ebay that it was still being made some 20 years on.

I followed the links from eBay to this site, and have lurked for a few weeks to get a feel for the place.

I'll be up front and admit, that as a newbie to hifi fora, I'm fairly surprised at the antagonism there is between the various sites ref the smaller manufacturers, but I suppose these days it's a small market and there's bound to be some fun and games.

Anyway, I want to build a system based on my only bit of kit I have left from my student days, a Technics SL150 with a SME 3009 arm. No cartridge at the moment and open to suggestions.

I'd prefer small footprint amps etc, and I have been offered a Pioneer Rt 909 reel to reel, so I'd need a tape loop.

Cheers,

Bill.

Edit:

Sorry, I should have added that I'll need a CD player too. Over the last 20 years or so, I've had a succession of Aiwa and Sony mini systems due to domestic convenience, but now all the offspring are off to university, I can indulge in separate components again.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 am

Welcome to the home of sensible hifi Bill. Your off to a good start with the Technics tt so why not start a thread on your queries.