What else are you hooked on?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Re: What else are you hooked on?

Unread post by Gromit »

Well I've been riding 32 years as of this year, had a couple of biggish 'offs' in that time but nothing really serious. My view - and I'll not be swayed from it - is that everyone who wishes to take up driving a car should have to do a 6 month probationary period riding a motorcycle. They'll learn more about road conditions, observation skills and how safe (or dangerous) different road surfaces can be than during a whole lifetime of driving a car. 90% of car drivers seem to think that once their test is passed they don't need to learn any more because they can 'drive' already. My IAM instructor (for both cars and bikes - I took the tests back in 1988) who was previously Chief Instructor for Cambs Police always stated this, he believed than in the long run it would save lives. When he retired from the Force he became a civilian driving instructor, and once his puplis had passed their test he would invite them back for a couple of lessons on how to drive properly, not just pass in the way they needed to pass their test. He had less than 10% uptake which is tragic.

Yes, there are some total bankers also riding bikes - and I wish to have no association with them whatsoever in fact it really p*sses me off seeing some idiots' riding behaviour. One reaon I rarely go out on the bike on a sunday now - too many (2-wheeled) fools out on the road. Gives decent motorcyclists a bad name. :-(
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

Another M/C rider here been riding for 40 years and didn't get a car licence until I was 30. Plenty of scrapes and slides but nothing major. Totally agree with your comment Gromit on making all drivers ride a bike it sharpens the senses and makes you much more aware of what is happening around you. Now got a Triumph Sprint and about to restore my '68 T120 which I had when I was 18 :shock:
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one Keithh , T120 will be great once done up....And yep im all for Car drivers having some form of bike training to see thing's from our point of view.
:clap: :clap:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

As I started this post I suppose I should continue to contribute, which is apparently a posh word for "bore the collective arses off of you all" or something similar.

I've just checked and my original post was dated 10 days ago. I posted because I'd bought a watch and could see myself becoming interested in acquiring more. I've now bought six, and I've had to order an "Aluminium Watch Display Storage Case Box" to keep the bloody things in, not to mention a "Watch Link Remover Tool" so I can adjust the lengths of some of the straps. I've also had to order some extra links from a manufacturer because one watch I "won" on eBay is too small for my wrist. The links cost just a quid less than I paid for the whole watch.

My eBay Watch List has never been more aptly named.

As I said in the original post I'm not aiming to collect valuable watches, just stuff I hope looks nice on my wrist, so I thought I'd sample one of the brands that some watch collecting forums (yes, I've had to begin reading them too) rated as "not actually total crap" although not always in those words exactly. Sometimes in precisely those words though.

So, I got one, and it arrived today. Nice looking watch I think Image but somehow it just doesn't "feel" right. It cost me less than £15.00 so no great loss, and it'll look pretty in my display case/box/storage whatever but I'll probably never wear it. Certainly not before I remove some of the links anyway, 'cos this one's too large. Good job I bought that tool eh?

I now have to stop buying watches until the next cheque comes in from my little "private" job. I gave up smoking about 9 months ago, and I thought THAT was difficult. :lol:
Mind you, there's this nice little watch that comes up in a couple of days and it's not described properly in the title, and if nobody spots it...
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Guy's if you want to invest - Buy Whiskey.........Better return than gold.
A couple guys on the rig are into it big time £3000 a bottle etc but will double in a couple o years.... :clap:
I just cant do it... i would have it drunk and refilled with cold tea - worthless.......... :D :o