Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It depends on the cable. With NVA cable you can go to 3m every time with no problem and more often than not to 5m. It all depends on how reactive the cable is.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I take it that SSC would definitely be better for this purpose (less capacitance)?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

From an objectivist view then yes, whether that repeats in reality is moot at the moment as I haven't tried it. And no one has bought SSC beyond 1m yet.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

May be a cheaper option for me if I used a pair of A40's with 3m SSC's - what the fugg am I saying :-? 8-) :shock:

Must crawl before walking ;)

Apologies Pinky, I've steered myself off topic yet again...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Oldpinkman
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Mains. Thanks Dave for the insurance warning. More to the point, I realise this business has suckered me in to directly involving Owen, who takes no interest in forums, precisely because they are full of angry people talking about things they understand poorly. I am grateful for his advice to me, but it remains his advice to me - training if you like, and I will share with you what I have learned, as my responsibility. I doubt I need any insurance for that. I am aware of libel laws. I will attempt to provide adequate explanations for the statements I make. I would welcome any constructive helpful explanatory corrections or expansions of matters I am addressing.

I got interested in this because I fancied a BPO as a possible solution for very faint residual hum on the AV input only (from a separate AV amp) to my current system. £300 on an airlink was worth a punt. I was therefore seeking information, and a bit disappointed to get aggressive defensive responses. The more I enquired, the more uncertain I became. The further I researched, the more convinced I was that some basic mistakes were being made.

One for Dave Cawley to reflect on. I have just wired up the Pip2 after a series of paranoid emails and phone calls to its designer. Like every other Pip 2 out there, the bulb in the switch, which is nominal 73ohm (say 100 ohms for cash, when current flows through it) is wired in series with a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor to ground. The other end of the bulb is wired to one of the rails from the secondary of the transformer. The transformer is a sealed toroidal stepping down from 240v to 40v. The centre tap is taken to ground, and each rail is taken to a bridge rectifier producing (after voltage regulation) +18v 0v -18v for the amp. 0v ground is earthed to true earth in a Class 1 device via the chassis earthing. The whole system is protected by a 250ma ANTISURGE fuse. So we have a 200ohm short from rail (call it "live") on the secondary to ground = true earth at 20v (one side of the balanced output only). Identical to the docs experiment, but at 20v not 120v. So the current in the primary from this experiment would be 1/6th of the docs current from a similar load. So to create a similar experiment (the same current at 120v) I would need 6x200 ohms (assume no power loss in the transformer) = 1200 ohms. Quite close to the 1000 ohms used by the Doc. And heaps less than the 47000 ohms Dave Cawley referred to.

It doesn't blow my RCD's. It hasn't blow the RCD's of any Pink Triangle customer I have ever heard of. Of course, I have 30ma RCD's (both a portable and main board device). DC's throw away 47K comment was presumably referencing an ultra-sensitive 5ma RCD and a 240v supply. Actually (lossless transformer) the 120v 47K connection would draw 2.5ma, which would produce 1.25ma in the primary not 5ma. And most domestic RCD's are 30ma not 5ma anyway. And as I shall come onto THE PATH OF THE CURRENT in the secondary cannot cause an RCD on the primary to trip. The total current in the secondary, regardless of whether rail to rail or rail to ground, induces a current in the primary, either as a stable current or a surge current that can blow the fuse (or over-current trip). It can trip the current overload element of an RCBO.

I shall be doing this stuff in more detail on TAS with x-refs to internet sites explaining how an RCD works - but just to give you boys something to think about.

Please note - I am not picking a fight. I was interested in the product. I am frightened by what appears to be unsafe information about how far, and how an RCD protects.
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Per usual, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" :roll:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wow thats quite a technical electrical rant Pinky...... :think:

A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing...Best to know Fuk all about it or be an expert. :epop:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And so speaks a professional (expert) electrician :lol:

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Yes, very big and clever guys, but I had 2 experts advise me - one a qualified electrician client, who installs and tests operating theatres, and another my long suffering highly qualified Pip designer, neither of whom are interested in particpating in a forum, and both of whom might reasonably think they were under no obligation to share information on a forum. Don't patronise - share and explain.

But you guys are different. I presume you are here, and on other forums to share. So please share with me what you think is wrong or different. And share with me the construction of the BPO you were testing so we can do a 120v experiment here (don't worry - "we" will be Graham - the qualified sparks)

Thank you
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

So please share with me what you think is wrong (Pinky)

Okay.......I think you worry too much. :whistle: