Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Richard (Pinky), I really do think you worry a heck of a lot here (and I'm speaking as a numpty). I take it we're talking of the BPS here. You have a choice as I see it. Either carry on without one BUT ensure the mains on your home is as well set up as possible (earthing integrity and general tightness of wiring anchoring screws etc - get a qualified sparky to do this though), or maybe give a BPS a try and see if you hear any difference either way. if you don't hear a difference, return for a refund.

Hope I haven't got it wrong here, but I suspect there are other things in your stereo more important for upgrading than adding a mains device, particularly as you don't use NVA as I recall.

Posted with respect by a numpty too lazy to take degree-level qualifications!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Pinky - Mind your own business how I design my products. You have a choice buy or don't buy, they have CE mark and Class II appliance mark that is all you need to know.

Oldpinkman
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Doc. i'm not interested in how you design product.- ADMIN EDIT - Unacceptable attack on NVA - But my comments were not about NVA, and neither intended to endorse nor criticise the brand. They were generically related to the devices being discussed, and in particular the comment that RCBO's in Gazjams design were a "plaster on a plaster". That is not correct. Whilst I shall do the long version on TAS, knowing how you dislike a ramble, I will simply link to this article here. I'll leave it to you to claim they don't know what they are talking about, and only you do, but although I only found this today, and it is from the pro audio arena not the hospital theatres where my mate Graham installs and PAT tests, it clearly sings from the same hymn sheet

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/a ... k_1106.htm

ADMIN EDIT - Ad hominem removed
And DSJR - I'm not interested in trying one - whether NVA or not. I don't want to adapt the equipment that is plugged into them, and if you understand the maths, it appears they don't do anything useful for the mains noise either. But I'll expand on that on TAS too.

As the dolphins said in Hitchhickers guide "so long, and thanks for all the fish"
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

That article actually states RCBO on the balanced transformer is useless in protecting against a fault on the equipment connected, Only protects the balanced mains unit. My question would be how does a fault in connected equipment pass a short back through the balanced mains to the RCD or RCBO on the ring main?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Also that article is about studios not about home hi-fi systems. Due to complexity and variety of equipment used in studios I would agree with them, unless the BMU is individual to each item, or an isolation transformer is used. Where ever there are safety complication as on building sites, oil rigs, ships in dock an isolation transformer is always used. BUT we are talking about a hi-fi system not an oil rig.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The argument seems to be that the BMU removes the safety aspect of the mains earth by allowing the hi-fi system to float off the house earth, well all 0v on NVA products floats off the mains earth, it has to being Class II, and that creates no problems. So that is that one shot down in flames. Secondly if you are in the slightest bit worried about this it is very simple to take a wire from any 0v / earth point within the system (the outer of a spare phono socket using a phono plug will do) and wire it to the earth pin of a mains plug and plug it into any wall mains socket, and your system earth / 0v is referenced to your house mains earth again - simples.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Honestly I am getting sick of this crap supposed to be from experts. Well a hospital electrician works on a different set of regs than a domestic electrician. There are things that are banned that are not banned domestically.

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/mess ... eadid=8465
http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/standards.htm
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformatio ... aldevices/
http://www.modbs.co.uk/news/fullstory.p ... ction.html
http://www.mtbeurope.info/content/ft1110001.htm

All of this has next to nothing to do with domestic mains installations.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'm thinking of getting 3 phase for my house :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Do you have something with a three phase motor then.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pinky is creating more rambling crap at TAS. There has been moderation here because our ad hominem and libel rules have been broken in your case, and constant repeats to try and create conflict in the case of Cagey. The forum has to function and anyone disrupting its function will be moderated. BUT they will always be allowed to make their point (as long as not ad hominem or libel) before moderated, as opposed to TAS where information is not allowed, so they practice censorship and biased moderation, we don't.