Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by jammy395 »

Because a new thread was mentioned, and I think it would be good... :clap:

Go on Pinky fill yer boots and kick us off.... :shifty:...Pic's & Link's much appreciated.

CageyH-FX1200

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

He'll never post here. It's not his style. :dance:

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

This is the arm that started the discussion elsewhere.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Image Pinky, where are you :mrgreen:

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

That's very nice indeed Cagey, that arm goes well with the aesthetics of the TT, one of the nicest i seen, 8-)
i don't go into the Techie room much over there but to be honest, from a bystander POV,
i think they do that TT a dis-service, any potential 1210 owners will be put off by the forever need of upgrades to make it sound good is daunting, let alone the bottomless pit of money involved, it casts a shadow over what is basically a good TT straight out the box, all in my own opinion of course. ;)
Frank...made me do it.

wiicrackpot

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Image Pinky, where are you :mrgreen:
Errrh, let me guess...like a Prima Donna, waiting for the grand entrance. :mrgreen:
Frank...made me do it.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

wiicrackpot wrote:Thats very nice indeed Cagey, that arm goes well with the aesthetics of the TT, one of the nicest i seen, 8-)
i don't go into the Techie much room over there but to be honest, from a bystander POV,
i think they do that TT a dis-service, any potential 1210 owners will be put off by the forever need of upgrades to make it sound good is daunting, let alone the bottomless pit of money involved,it casts a shadow over what is basically a good TT straight out the box, all in my own opinion of course. ;)
No you make a good point and it is one I have made at AoS previously. It is a shame when people say 'I would consider an SL1200 but I have read that you need to spend thousands to make it sound any good' as my opinion is that out of the box it kills budget Regas or Projects and stamps on their graves. Not to mention being solidly built and heavily engineered compared to the budget and boutique decks that often get rave recommends, mainly because they trade neutrality for 'excitement' when the excitement should come from the music not the deck.

wiicrackpot

Macca wrote:
wiicrackpot wrote:Thats very nice indeed Cagey, that arm goes well with the aesthetics of the TT, one of the nicest i seen, 8-)
i don't go into the Techie much room over there but to be honest, from a bystander POV,
i think they do that TT a dis-service, any potential 1210 owners will be put off by the forever need of upgrades to make it sound good is daunting, let alone the bottomless pit of money involved,it casts a shadow over what is basically a good TT straight out the box, all in my own opinion of course. ;)
No you make a good point and it is one I have made at AoS previously. It is a shame when people say 'I would consider an SL1200 but I have read that you need to spend thousands to make it sound any good' as my opinion is that out of the box it kills budget Regas or Projects and stamps on their graves. Not to mention being solidly built and heavily engineered compared to the budget and boutique decks that often get rave recommends, mainly because they trade neutrality for 'excitement' when the excitement should come from the music not the deck.
Yes Martin, especially when they espouse everytime they fettled it with a new upgrade, the difference is 'NOT SUBTLE',
it makes you think it must've sounded broke intially.

Agree with the Rega's or Projects and the ilk,
if i was looking at that level of TT, I'd definitely listen to a stock 1210 for sure.
Frank...made me do it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yet again :doh: the bog standard techie 1210 needs no fukin upgrading. :twisted: its a fine TT at its price point.

If you feel it requires upgrading - You've bought the wrong turntable. :shifty: (Buy a better TT)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Jammy, it should take hundreds of quid to subtly improve it though. Remove the lid when playing (costs nowt), change the wires in the headshell for posher litz type ones (under twenty quid and they certainly look nice ;)) and careful siting and use of Vantage style feet (I think OL do them too for thirty five notes) can do much. I liked using a cheap cork mat on top of the stock one with my SL1500's, as this got the arm level (fixed height in this model) and 'improved' the bass.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...