Chickens, Hell Yeah!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chickens, Hell Yeah!

Unread post by Welder »

I’ve got 17 chickens, 4 male, 11 female and two chicks too young to tell.
They all have names.
Major and Fatbird (original Moran couple)
Harold, Bluespot, Mini Minx and Ottic. (Bantams except Ottic who is a cross)
Oswald, Where, Dandy Ruffles and Morra.
Twitch, Gedit and Rosehip (Rosehip I found abandoned close to death higher up the mountain. She’s the only hen of her type here)
Cheepy, she’s mad.

They are free range (they go anywhere they want in the day but are shut in at night.
Originally I had Morans and Bantams; now I’ve got a bit of a mixture.

So here’s Cheepy sitting on a pile of eggs. She’s been sitting for a couple of weeks now so there could be up to 6 chicks in seven or so days time.

The picture title is: I don’t know who the feck you are but I’m busy.

This is Twitch and Gedit (they’ve been a couple since they were chicks)
The picture title is: Do you think he wants this basket?

This is Rosehip
The picture title is: Yoga innit!

Oswald, Where, Morra and Dandy. Not quite pure Morans. This lot are one tribe.
Where is called where because when she was a chick (one of four) she was always trailing behind looking lost. So, it went from “where the fuck did everyone go” to just where

The picture title is: Follow me girls.

Harold and his crew, Mini Minx, Bluespot and Otic. Otic’s name comes from a bit of a disaster when mum and chicks were put in a house with the Morans and for some unknown reason Otic got very badly attacked. She had a really nasty wound in her shoulder requiring antibiotics and separation from the rest for a couple of weeks, hence Otic.
The picture title is: No we’re not coming out.

This is Miniminx with her three four chicks. Otic, Where, Dandy and the white baby cockrel, Beano. Unfortunately Beano went rogue and we had to eat him.

This is Major, Oswald and crew on their perches in the sheep field chicken house in the late evening.
The picture title is: It’s the feckin mouse again.

Harold and Miniminx discussing the photographer.
The picture title is: I told you he isn’t the full ticket.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Chickens, Hell Yeah!

Unread post by jimbob »

Hi welder. Some nice looking chickens there! We got 3 chickens a couple of weeks ago but only one is laying. We were told it takes a while for them to settle in but i would have thought the other two would be laying by now. The one that does lay started a couple of days after we got them. I think we have bought a couple of duff chickens to be honest. Im assuming they are all hens. Any ideas how we can get the other two to start laying???

James
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Pic 4: The perv!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Missed a trick there Shane, one should've been named after the psycho chick N*nan*na . :grin:

Edit: sorry Shane, i thought the chickens belong to you, didn't realise they were Welders.
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Jammy, we want pics of your chickens, or have the Polar Bears got them all :( :shifty:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Jammy, we want pics of your chickens, or have the Polar Bears got them all :( :shifty:
Not far wrong about the Polar Bears Doc......Sorry mot many chick pics.!!!
Jammys Coup..jpg
Jammys Coup..jpg (104.05 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Blackrocks.jpg
Blackrocks.jpg (132.88 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
:guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I presume the top picture was yesterday, it is beginning to look like summer for you :lol: :lol:

Poor shivering chickens, have you given them central heating :mrgreen:

jammy395

No Doc, I draw the line at fitting any form of Chicken central heating - They do how ever have plenty Sawdust & Straw...Plus an Automatic door opener/closer....
God forbid em if they decide to go on the piss and arrive home late (They will be locked out overnight).......Not nice even in the Highland Summer..... :o

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

Nice chicken coop Jammy. Did you build it?
I’ve been looking into an auto door closer for one of the coops but I know feck all about them. Got any recommendations?
It would need to be pretty strong because it’s not unknown for the sheep to knock over the smaller coops trying to get at the chicken food.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

jammy395

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-House ... 0931110905

Welder my man...The above Auto door closer/opener is the best ive come across (And ive used a few) simple instructions batts last years (3rd year) no probs.,,,,
Its been a bloody godsend for us...No more getting up early and late nights.

I didn't build the coup - but the half acre of fencing round about - I done,,,,With blood Sweat n Tears...... :twisted:

Love yer hens. :clap: