Scottish Independence

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Scottish Independence

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Should Scotland leave the UK.

Any HFS member is entitled to vote.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Scottish Independence

I voted 4, as there are more Scots (or of Scot ancestry) in England than in Scotland so the whole thing seems a pointless exercise in nationalistic vanity.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I voted 4, as there are more Scots (or of Scot ancestry) in England than in Scotland so the whole thing seems a pointless exercise in nationalistic vanity.
I voted 4 as well, because I couldn't give a toss. If the Scots want out, let them go. They'll soon be back, cap in hand, like they were back in 1700 or so.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I voted No . There is power in a union .

There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hands of a worker
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
There is power in a union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers blood
The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for
From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud
War has always been the bosses way, sir

The union forever defending our rights
Down with the blackleg, all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters from many far off lands

Now I long for the morning that they realize
Brutality and unjust laws can not defeat us
But who'll defend the workers, who cannot organize
When the bosses send their lackies out to cheat us?

Money speaks for money, the devil for his own
Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone
What a comfort to the widow, a light to the child

The union forever defending our rights
Down with the blackleg, all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters, together we will stand

Billy Bragg - There Is Power In A Union Lyrics | MetroLyrics

joe

Unread post by joe »

William Blake he ain't!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

maybe , but he pisses all over the twist and shout twins :lol:
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:maybe , but he pisses all over the twist and shout twins :lol:
You dissin' the Isley Brothers?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

At the moment, I couldn't give a toss what they do BUT, I'd rather the Scots stayed... Don't they have a fair amount of autonomy already? I appreciate that the Westminster government is way out of touch with what happens north of the border, so they do need some form of local self-government within the overall union, but could they really survive on their own?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am very much starting to feel that London and the home counties has become a different country to the rest of England let alone Scotland.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I'm English from the North West of England, and now live in Scotland (20 years). I loathe nationalism in any form, but in this case will vote YES.
Why? Well the Scottish psyche per-se is a good deal more altruistic than that of England, and comes close to what I experienced when living in Australia and Canada.The country is certainly not class-less, but the class and privilege levels that exist in England are simply absent from everyday life. Furthermore I also feel the Scottish Government has the interests of people in Scotland more at heart, be they Scots, English, Poles, Indians et al, than any Westminster government ever had.
One has only to see the lack of investment in Scotland. in areas that are taken for granted, certainly in London, but also in the major English cities. Transport, roads etc. Examples.... There's a motorway and dual carriageway that runs all the way between London and Penzance, another between London and Newcastle, and two (amusingly) between London and the two principle university towns. The A1 (north of Newcastle to Edinburgh) and the A9 (Perth to Inverness and beyond) are still mostly single-carriageway roads. They are being dualled, but the completion date is circa 2025. Thats 34 years after the M11, and 23 years after the M40 were fully operational! The M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow is still in part a clapped-out dual carriageway.... It links Scotland's two major cities with a combined population of 1.5 million. Additionally, the only really regular and frequent train service is between Glasgow and Edinburgh, or between the inner satellites of each city. The rest is a joke.
Can't do with Salmond as he's way too smug. However, he's driving his dream and the dreams of a lot of people here. If that dream is achieved he will most likely move aside to let more capable (and less smug) politicians and administrators do the work. Personally I couldn't care less, but it's important to a lot of people here. Perhaps for the wrong reasons, but nonetheless important.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.