What is (or is not) Ad-hominem.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
bunsen burner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is (or is not) Ad-hominem.

Unread post by bunsen burner »

I have been given a warning by the good Doctor for using Ad-hominem. :(

Can I ask publicly, is it Ad-hominem to suggest that what a person says (as a fact) is indeed only opinion ?

I did not suggest any reason for this, nothing personal.

I am confused. :-?

Daniel Quinn

Re: What is (or is not) Ad-hominem.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

claiming FACT is actually opinion is the worst possible ad homien in my opinion .

therefore one must have a irrefutable well reasoned detailed and perfectly argued post to do so . Simply saying , it is my opinion that your claim to fact is in fact opinion is ad homien for sure .

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:claiming FACT is actually opinion is the worst possible ad homien in my opinion .
Yeah, but that's just your opinion.

bunsen burner

Daniel Quinn wrote:claiming FACT is actually opinion is the worst possible ad homien in my opinion .

therefore one must have a irrefutable well reasoned detailed and perfectly argued post to do so . Simply saying , it is my opinion that your claim to fact is in fact opinion is ad homien for sure .
So, if one is of the opinion that what one person states is a fact, but another disagrees, how can that be dealt with without incurring a charge of Ad-hominem ?

Could one just say " I disagree, and I think you are wrong" and leave it at that ?

Daniel Quinn

Joe , that is the sixth sarcastic post you have made on the trot . [ 5 on pfm ] have you been drinking ? ;)

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Joe , that is the sixth sarcastic post you have made on the trot . [ 5 on pfm ] have you been drinking ? ;)
No, and I can only count two posts from me on pfm today. One of those was pedantic rather than sarcastic.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Gosh not again Dan..............Cant find a yawn Smilie. :doh:

Im not sure but it gets rid of NUGGETS faster than Domestos kills Germ's.
Last edited by jammy395 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Quinn

bunsen burner wrote:

So, if one is of the opinion that what one person states is a fact, but another disagrees, how can that be dealt with without incurring a charge of Ad-hominem ?

Could one just say " I disagree, and I think you are wrong" and leave it at that ?
it would depend on what is being stated as a fact . If i was to say , the earth is round . it would be absurd to say that is just my opinion . Most facts speak for themselves .

If you are arguing with somebody who as better technical knowledge than you , then it is best to say you disagree with any opinions formed upon the facts rather than disagreeing with the fact itself . Unless you are equipped to question the fact to a degree that would seem reasonable by a reasonable reader.

however , the trick is to recognize the fact .

bunsen burner

Well Daniel, funny you should quote the example of the Earth being round as a "fact". :grin:

Isaac Newton first proposed that Earth was not perfectly round. Instead, he suggested it was an oblate spheroid—a sphere that is squashed at its poles and swollen at the equator.

So as I say, what is often quoted as "fact" is not "fact" at all. :|

Daniel Quinn

Now i know you are marco . Round does of course not mean perfectly circular . An oblate spheroid and round are not different descriptions , they are just different ways of saying the same thing , one being more nuannced and technical .

Told you , the trick is to spot the fact .