Taking the piss out of politics

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Taking the piss out of politics

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Getting out of the EU, is that precise enough ?

52% of people who voted wanted to do the same, so I'm not alone.
But that’s exactly why it was a ridiculous question to ask, Without defining exactly what "Getting out of the EU" looks like, is exactly why we are where we are now. In effect the vote was "do nothing" or "do something", we are now stuck with trying to decide what the something is that is in the countly's best interest. Parliament decided that the something on offer was not in the interest of anyone other than a few privileged few, so voted against it, what would you prefer they did? All we get in response is insanity like "brexit means brexit".

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm

What the hell are you talking about?
Lets go about this another way Steve. I'm not sure, but I think you are in Barnsley East Parlimentary constituency, and if so the Brexit vote in your area was 70.98% in favour of leaving the EU.

If you feel the need to blame anyone for your (potential) loss of EU citizenship then look nearer to home.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 pm
SteveTheShadow wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm

What the hell are you talking about?
Lets go about this another way Steve. I'm not sure, but I think you are in Barnsley East Parlimentary constituency, and if so the Brexit vote in your area was 70.98% in favour of leaving the EU.

If you feel the need to blame anyone for your (potential) loss of EU citizenship then look nearer to home.
Your point being?
The proportion is irrelevant. I know one reason the leave vote was so high round here, and it was quote “to make those Tory bastards who destroyed our lives pay for it” Ex miners have long memories. Folks who have lost almost everything don’t have too much left to lose. Farage merely tapped into that long standing grievance and used it brilliantly. The fact of the matter is that it was the Tory shires that turned in the largest leave vote, not the Northern ex industrial communities.

Brexit is a nasty little right wing Tory project and once again it’ll be us up here who bear the brunt of the fallout. Just like everything else these despicable lowlives have ever done. Francois, Rees Mogg, Johnson, Raab, Patel. Toe rags the lot of them.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm
Emotional based decision making is the de facto mode of operating.
Maybe, but science, engineering, the military and most companies have created perfectly good processes to prevent that. Its not too much to ask that we run our country in the same way.
Yeah, but it's logical and scientific to base your expections of how political decisions are actually made in this country and not on how one might wish that they were made.

Listening to Question Time last Thursday was a reminder that emotional decision making is the de facto mode of operating. As demonstrated by the panel on the show and the audience. Where it was all emotion based questioning and emotion based, knee-jerk type responses.

So yes it is too much for you to ask that the country is run along science and engineering principles. People are people. As I said, they are Human Beings, not Vulcans. It is a scientific fact that people - in general - behave the way that they do. :geek:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 am
Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm
Emotional based decision making is the de facto mode of operating.
Maybe, but science, engineering, the military and most companies have created perfectly good processes to prevent that. Its not too much to ask that we run our country in the same way.
Yeah, but it's logical and scientific to base your expections of how political decisions are actually made in this country and not on how one might wish that they were made.

Listening to Question Time last Thursday was a reminder that emotional decision making is the de facto mode of operating. As demonstrated by the panel on the show and the audience. Where it was all emotion based questioning and emotion based, knee-jerk type responses.

So yes it is too much for you to ask that the country is run along science and engineering principles. People are people. As I said, they are Human Beings, not Vulcans. It is a scientific fact that people - in general - behave the way that they do. :geek:
Any political decision is a balance between emotion and logic. Currently, we are tilted too far to the emotional response. Society progresses, but often only after a painful lesson or two has been learned....
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

It is a scientific fact that people - in general - behave the way that they do.
You talk as if this situation and the way people behave is entirely natural and unchangeable. The evidence is against that as shown by the remarkable success that advertising has on peoples choices. I would argue that media (both news, tv and social) has played a huge part in the way people behave and the expectations and choices they make. Education, opportunity and environment all have a roil to play in how people behave, all of those are under the control of a country's government.

Your example is not a good one either, Vulcan's are not born without emotion, their upbringing and society trains them to repress and control them.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Can I just hit 'pause' for a moment and remind everyone that although Brexit is a hot and very emotive topic, we're fast approaching a General Election, and that involves a lot more than whether you want to leave, or stay in, Europe? We'll be voting, in just a few weeks, to decide who gets to totally f*uck up our lives for the next five years. Apparently opinions on which party will do that the best (or worst?) still differ. Yes, we need to consider Brexit, but we need to broaden our horizons far beyond that single bête noire. We need to consider our NHS, and who we'd prefer to see in charge of it for a start. There are decisions to be made on environmental concerns, law and order, austerity, housing, and much more.

Don't make this a single-topic election, because politicians are like magicians; all the time they're forcing you to concentrate on their right hand you don't notice their left hand stealing your watch, or picking your pocket.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Just saw a recording of last night's Jennifer Arcuri interview programme. Anyone thinking of voting Conservative needs to see it.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

slinger wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm Can I just hit 'pause' for a moment and remind everyone that although Brexit is a hot and very emotive topic, we're fast approaching a General Election, and that involves a lot more than whether you want to leave, or stay in, Europe? We'll be voting, in just a few weeks, to decide who gets to totally f*uck up our lives for the next five years. Apparently opinions on which party will do that the best (or worst?) still differ. Yes, we need to consider Brexit, but we need to broaden our horizons far beyond that single bête noire. We need to consider our NHS, and who we'd prefer to see in charge of it for a start. There are decisions to be made on environmental concerns, law and order, austerity, housing, and much more.

Don't make this a single-topic election, because politicians are like magicians; all the time they're forcing you to concentrate on their right hand you don't notice their left hand stealing your watch, or picking your pocket.
If we were creating the NHS today, instead of in 1945, Boris Johnson would describe it as a Marxist plot...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

CN211276 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 pm Just saw a recording of last night's Jennifer Arcuri interview programme. Anyone thinking of voting Conservative needs to see it.
I have, after a very long time, been forced to agree with Boris Johnson about something. I wouldn't be returning her calls either. Mind you, I'd like to think I'd have had the good taste not to have shagged her in the first place. :lol:
What a horrible, vacuous, shouty, caricature of an American "power-blonde." Everything she says sounds like she sees it in capital letters in her head, and possibly neon-lit too.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X