Windows 10 - best thing since you know what, or total pants?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windows 10 - best thing since you know what, or total pa

Unread post by applemarc »

Being 100% Mac If I had to use windows then it would be XP. But I'd rather listen to a naim nait
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

:mrgreen: :lol:

selby

Unread post by selby »

applemarc wrote:Being 100% Mac If I had to use windows then it would be XP. But I'd rather listen to a naim nait
I agree. I've been Mac for 10 years now and recommend it to all my clients, unfortunately some refuse to be converted but Windows 10 is the best so far from Microsoft.

I've got a Google OnHub router coming for a trial in the next few weeks, I generally use Cisco/DrayTek for clients with multi AP networks but for a home system the OnHub on paper looks impressive. https://on.google.com/hub/
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have just switched to fibre fom Virgin, it is fecking up and crashing and going slow every evening. They are now after 6 weeks of complaints sending me new hub.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

This month, with sonny-Jim's encouragement, we've come into the 21st century (just) and herself now has a smart phone and I have an early Nexus 7 tablet to get used to. Using touch screens is very different, but one is so easily sucked in to spend too much time learning how to use it :) Anyway, the main issue I had with Windows 10 is an email client - I've been using Windows Live Mail and find it fine for my needs. Windows 10 doesn't appear to use this (unless I'm mistaken). My Office setup is still '2003' with add-ons for later compatibility and of course, this has now reached its end as well.

So, it looks as if I need Office 2010 at least (that's ok, I used it at work) and then go over to a more current MS Outlook for emails. Once this is done, I think Windows 10 would be fine for me. I like the Android/Apple Mobile approach of downloading only the apps you need, rather than have a whole bloated stodge running all the time as Windows OS is prone to.

Does that make sense?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

applemarc

They normally use netgear routers so a standard item it should not be a problem, hopefully the replacement will be fine
Beresford Caiman Ipod

selby

Unread post by selby »

For Office I'd recommend moving to Office 365 it's cheap and means you're always on latest version. You also get the benefit of cloud storage for important files.

The worst routers I've come across recently are BT Homehubs, the way they handle 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and ssid's is mental and so flaky.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't think it is the router, some one on my circuit to the box at the end the street is either using up all the line or fecking it up with stuff being injected back up the line. It wouldn't be intermittent otherwise. It is consistent with someone using gaming or something as when it starts it does it for hours, it started 6.31pm yesterday (I am keeping a log) and the last crash was at 12.30am. Today up until now it has been fine, no problem. It does it just about every day and at weekends it can be in the morning. A couple of days ago it didn't start until 10pm. As I say it is consistent with one person coming home from work or school and doing something, but after hanging on over 30 mins everytime to talk to someone (mostly India :roll: ) they wont listen too me, and sods law says everytime they check the line it isn't happening, as it is intermittent.

It is so feckin' frustrating, especially after they cocked up the installation and it took me days to get them to come back and re-do it. Sometimes it just hangs and loads as slowly as if I was still on dial-up. I thought fibre was supposed to be better and faster.

applemarc

The joys of the internet
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Here we go again 6.20pm and it just crashed for 10 secs and then came back on.