Frack Off......

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Frack Off......

Unread post by jammy395 »

Fracking.........Im against it.
Too much Fracking will obviously cause the world to implode :evil:

Any thoughts on it...... :!:

Daniel Quinn

Re: Frack Off......

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Why .

Fracking in America as resulted in abundant cheap energy for all the population and less reliance on the corrupt oil countries and Russia .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I really don't understand the problem with fracking. Jammy you work in the field so what do you see as the problem. They will still have to employ electricians but sadly for you without the N Sea danger bonus. FFS we mined coal underground for hundreds of years. BUT for me the most important consideration is the same as the Americans it is a national strategic necessity. Look at the volatility of the oil market, do you wish to be at the beck and call of Muslim Arab Sheiks or African fraudsters or Putin :naughty: For me oil and energy security is more important than Brexit, that is just froth and bollocks risks compared with another oil / energy crisis.

Fracking YES, Nuclear YES, Wind YES, Tidal YES, and we need the fracking because of the high cost of the other options.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I am against "fracking", the method used doesn't seem to be particularly safe or effects fully predictable.
As an example think about the effects of solution mining of salt in the Northwich area (Cheshire), people on the surface have no way of knowing, or controlling, where the resulting faults underground will "surface":

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nor ... ORM=HDRSC2

I believe that fracking is similarly flawed, potential for pollution of ground water supplies, earth tremors etc. Who will pick up the bill if anything does go wrong? the companies making a fast buck on the process? or the tax payer?
How will pollution of ground water supplies be remedied. Future generations could be lumbered with one hell of a lot of unpredictable mess to try to sort out and how much valuable energy resources will be used to sort it?
Short term profit for a few and long term repayment for the country?
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I'm for it because if we don't do it we will run out of energy or as Doc says be at the mercy of Putin and the Arabs. Frankly the hysteria about earthquakes is scaremongering :Bllocks: Now that tactic reminds me of the EU membership debate also. Why can't people engage in a rational and logical debate over these matters?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

engage in a rational and logical debate:
"......an investigation found in November 2011 that fracking – hydralic fracturing – by developer Cuadrilla most likely triggered two earthquakes earlier in the year near Blackpool."

source:
https://www.visitfyldecoast.info/about/ ... -fylde.php
Solution mining in Cheshire images:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nor ... ORM=HDRSC2
Fracking in USA:

"Fracking in America generated 280bn US gallons of toxic waste water last year – enough to flood all of Washington DC beneath a 22ft deep toxic lagoon, a new report out on Thursday found."

source:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... washington
"What we found was people living near a natural gas well had a much greater chance of having high methane concentrations in their water," he says.

Dangerously high, in some cases. And it's methane that appears to come from the same deep gas deposits that gas companies are drilling. Deep methane has its own chemical signature — a unique mix of isotopes accompanied by other gases like ethane and propane. Methane from the surface, where microbes make it in the soil, looks different."

Source:

:confusion-shrug:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Netherlands northern province of Groningen is suffering regular and quite severe earthquakes due to natural gas extraction. House owners fix cracks in their walls only to find new ones the following week. The government is being forced to take action with subsidies and limits to the amount of gas that can be removed.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is different, normal gas extraction from pockets leaves voids, and naturally over time these will collapse, fracking extraction leaves no voids all it does is release energy from unstable small rifts that may settle. Anyway there is FAR more problem and danger from old coal mine shafts collapsing. AND from ground water extraction.

The Green movement (and not for the first time) are being idiots over this, just motivates the old hippies to sing and enjoy themselves on a demo.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Doomsday scenario.........Dont Frack - It will Crack. :evil:

Wouldnt it be far better to stop helping the Sand Monkey's produce....... :think:

Nuclear, thats where its @.....Britian could be done with half a dozen N- Plants.....Fuk windmills they're shit. :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Nuclear energy is the most expensive of the lot, if we only had that then our electricity costs would double. What fracking is about is replacing coal in electricity generation, and neither is a perfect solution, so it has to be looked at as the lesser of two evils between frack and coal, and fracking gas and oil is by far the least problematical all round IMO.