New Computer Problems - HELP!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: New Computer Problems - HELP!

Unread post by Lindsayt »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:38 pm eM Client is fine here and updated just a few days ago. However, this laptop refuses to update .Net 4.8 and also the new 'feature pack' yet allows updates on Windows Defender. I've run numerous 'fix-it' tools plus sfc and DISM which tell me there's no errors, so currently I'm stumped. My wife's laptop was the one we thought wouldn't update properly, yet it fully updated in the background and is better than ever...

I understand that there'll be no 'new' operating system, but every so often, 'Windows 10' will have a major update.
I have very little patience for fixing issues on computers. If I can't fix an issue like yours in 20 minutes, I rebuild (software rebuild) the thing. Basically back up all data. Make sure I have the means to reinstall all required applications, zap everything off the hard drive by deleting all partitions or reformatting the thing, reinstall the operating system, and all applications. Takes about 30 minutes of my time and 2 hours of the computer's time.

But that's easy for me to say as I've built / rebuilt more PC's than I've had hot dinners.

Time will tell if Windows 10 is still a thing in 2030 or 2040. I don't expect it to be.

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

slinger wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:21 pm Is it daft on my part to ask why people who complain about how bad W10 is are the same people who don't want the updates that help improve it? :think:
If only that where the case slinger MicroShaft seem to break there own operating system with the amount of updates they realease and then pull or have to re patch to make it stable enough (allegedly) to use .
I tend to wait at least a month before i manually install any updates to any of my systems.
That means never using auto update on Win 7 and the afore mentioned method on Win 10 . Once you have set Win 10 using one of those methods you can still go to the windows update tab and download emergency needed patches/update via pressing the button .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

[/quote]I have very little patience for fixing issues on computers. If I can't fix an issue like yours in 20 minutes, I rebuild (software rebuild) the thing. Basically back up all data. Make sure I have the means to reinstall all required applications, zap everything off the hard drive by deleting all partitions or reformatting the thing, reinstall the operating system, and all applications. Takes about 30 minutes of my time and 2 hours of the computer's time.

But that's easy for me to say as I've built / rebuilt more PC's than I've had hot dinners.

Time will tell if Windows 10 is still a thing in 2030 or 2040. I don't expect it to be.
[/quote]

+1
I have a cloned image of my main ops Lindsay and i update this regurlary if it takes more time than i am prepared to spend to fix an issue it gets nuked and reinstalled much like your method easier to start again with a fresh install than sit scratching your head for hours or days as i have done in the past .

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

And Macs are only a little bit better. New version of MacOS due in weeks offering nothing I am intrigued by. So i will wait until all the initial mess has settled
AtoZ

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I am used to backing up (music data on this laptop mainly), re-formatting and re installing everything but didn't want to go to the effin' faff of doing it. Something odd in that I can't un-install previous updates (tab/button missing) and when I've tried an in-place W10 replacement, it gets to 80 odd percent and then the desktop appears with a little window telling me the update has failed and with no reason given (hard drive working furiously.

Bloody things.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Precisely D_S_J_R And right on Cue another microShaft cock up . Could this be your problem or at least associated ?

https://www.tweakhound.com/2019/09/01/b ... 03-update/

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I don't think this update is there and when I downloaded it and tried to install it to see what would happen, it told me it wasn't a suitable update (Win 10 pro UK). My CPU isn't going bananas but when it's trying to install the feature pack for 1903 and also .Net 4.8, the hard drive is going loopy and several times now, both updates have failed, even after I Glary-cleaned all the previous install files out of the system and tried .Net as a manual install from a downloaded file.

I went into Windows features and added some which another fully updated computer had which this one didn't, including switching on .net 4.7. No difference so far...

Windows defender is updating daily via Windows Update with absolutely no issues though. Curiouser and curiouser...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Devices starting using PXE from a WDS or SCCM servers may fail to start (Update block) Wasn't this a part of your issue DSJR ?
Have a read of this item it may help shed a little light on your issue .

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... s-stay-on/

I have not updated my machine to 1903 build i consider it way to early for my needs just yet let i will MicroShaft ( or whoever ) work out the bugs and there seem to be many almost daily before i trust them.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My laptop can be fixed and I have the option of them putting an SSD in for a not-unreasonable price.

Looking forward to getting it back; cleaned up, fresh Windows 10 and solid-state storage - probably run like greased lightning !!! :dance:

:animals-dogrun: :auto-dirtbike: :chores-mowlawn:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Fretless, are you paying someone to do this work?

SSD's cost about £35.

I rebuild computers for friends and family for free. As a favour to them. And I'd stick in an SSD for free, if they gave me the £35 for it.

There are youtube videos showing you how easy it is to fit SSD's and do software rebuilds.