Argh! Bloody Children!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Argh! Bloody Children!

Unread post by George Hincapie »

My youngest has just knocked one of my Cube 2s off the stand. It fell against my new oak rack taking a chunk out of the edge then hit the floor smashing a bit off the cabinet.

I am so fucked off. If I have told them once, I have told them a thousand fucking times to stay the fuck away from my speakers.

Argh!

Daniel Quinn

Re: Argh! Bloody Children!

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I feel your pain. toddler dq in his 3 years has so far smashed a bearing and a cartridge.

Though as the hifi is in the adult room the order children would not dear touch it.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

You have my sympathy sir. :roll:

My daughter once put her finger through four of the drivers on my Isobariks despite the "I told you a thousand times!" rule, but worse was my son who kept sneaking into the back garden to practice his golf despite "very firm instruction" to the contrary, and finally hitting a ball through the outside pane of the double-glazed patio doors.

We had to sit there for twelve hours listening to the loud crackling noise as the small hole grew to the size of the whole door through the tempered glass, and then finally watch as it rained out onto the patio.

Good times. :angry-screaming:

Despite their close scrapes with death at my hands they've both grown up into decent people I'm happy to say.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Sorry to hear that. Kids are one reason for me having floorstanders. So far they have't broke anything hifi related.
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Will the contents insurance pay for a replacement speaker?

No trouble with small children now - ours towers over me - but my failing sense of balance would be tested as I need to get close to one of the speakers to the mains sockets there. The Spendor on this side has a habit of walking all over the 'stands' I'm compelled to sit them on, even when not in use :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

A Nytech amp stopped working mysteriously with the speaker terminals smashed. Probably absolutely nothing to do with kids playing football in the house. :( Now I can't get a squeak out another amp, cables have become dislodged. Cats this time I think.
The only comfort I can offer is that, if the break in the Cube2s is just a chip of the corning, I don't think it will affect the sound (since mine are chipped too).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Firebug1 wrote:Sorry to hear that. Kids are one reason for me having floorstanders. So far they have't broke anything hifi related.
Man o man, you've just gone and jinxed yourself now. :doh:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

terrybooth wrote:A Nytech amp stopped working mysteriously with the speaker terminals smashed. Probably absolutely nothing to do with kids playing football in the house. :( Now I can't get a squeak out another amp, cables have become dislodged. Cats this time I think.
The only comfort I can offer is that, if the break in the Cube2s is just a chip of the corning, I don't think it will affect the sound (since mine are chipped too).
Only one of them each so you could do a deal for a price to swop one. Someone who doesn't care gets both chipped and the other gets good ones.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Sorry to hear of your mishap with the speakers, hopefully your rack and cabinet can be repaired. A furniture repair fellow can often work wonders with small blems, if you decide to have it fixed.

When my kids were young, I would move my bookshelves and stands against the wall when not listening to them. Turning the drivers inwards to not tempt small fingers. Had the carpet marked with a small bit of painters tape to know where to return them to when listening. Worked well for me, I never lost a speaker. I was fortunate, the only bit of hi fi the kids ever damaged was a Grado Black cartridge, and that was because my youngest child had discerning taste, even at the age of 2. I fixed that issue with a nice large piece of Velcro wrapped around the dustcover and table. Never had a problem again.

Kids and mishaps will happen, its just an aspect of life. When they get older is when the mistakes become more costly, and will age you beyond your years. But love those kids, they grow up too soon and you end up missing them. Don't ever overlook the few years we get to spend with them.

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Alfi wrote:
Firebug1 wrote:Sorry to hear that. Kids are one reason for me having floorstanders. So far they have't broke anything hifi related.
Man o man, you've just gone and jinxed yourself now. :doh:

Alfi.
Propably... :shock: :o
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...